Start by marking “Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family” as Want to Read:
Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family

Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family

Strengthening Our Families
Published June 1st 2000 by Bookcraft Pubs

To ask other readers questions about Strengthening Our Families, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strengthening Our Families

Rebecca
Jul 28, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds, non-fiction
This was a comprehensive in-depth look at a document I consider to be modern-day scripture, and I used this resource as a component of my daily scripture study. While I can say that I didn't agree with every single argument made, everything was thought-provoking and motivating.

These lectures and essays made me want to be a better wife and mother. There were so many concrete examples and suggestions that made gospel living more tangible. I originally had a borrowed copy from the library, but qui
Kerstin Olcott
Jan 22, 2011 Kerstin Olcott rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, reviewed
A collection of essays centered on the LDS Church's Proclomation On The Family and the foundational aspects of relationships between the sexes, marriage, and family life. There are a lot of interesting ideas on how to break through misdirected expectations and extra baggage in our relationships. A lot of my favorite parenting ideals are in this book and it gave me new ideas on how to raise my ideals but stay grounded in reality. I loved the essays on developing traditions in order to strengthen ...more
Heather
This is a really great book and resource. It's a textbook for a BYU class that studies in-depth The Proclamation on the Family. This is a divinely inspired document given by revelation to God's chosen leaders on the earth today. It teaches us who we are, children of a Heavenly Father and part of an eternal family. It outlines the importance of marriage and children today. Strong families bless society and the lives of individuals. It teaches us principles to build strong families and to protect ...more
Cyndi
Oct 02, 2014 Cyndi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
The Family A Proclamation to the World
This text has been used to teach classes at the University Level and is therefore not a light read but if undertaken can be enlightening. The traditional definition of marriage as between a man and woman is being questioned and The Family A Proclamation to the World speaks out for the traditional definition of marriage. The arguments are thought out and supported with sources well documented. All arguments will not received or accepted by those not of the La
Karin
Jun 12, 2008 Karin rated it it was amazing
I think I was studying/reading this book for over 3 years. Wow. It makes me want to get a graduate degree in Family Science. I loved almost every minute of this. I was able to soak so much and want to keep it in my list of books to read and reread just so it will stay in my consciousness. There were so many practical applications for strengthening the family as well as solid research behind the pieces of the Proclamation. The only big beef I have are the essays on homosexuality. This was also wr ...more
Alena W
Jul 18, 2008 Alena W rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough good things about this book. I am continually looking to it for information and inspiration. It was the textbook for a class that I took at BYU. I loved the class and the book so much that I kept the book instead of selling it back after the class was over. It covers nearly every subject about families and marriages.

This is a book that everyone can learn something from, no matter what their beliefs are. It is applicable to everyone not just married couples or those who have
Suzette Kunz
Apr 12, 2015 Suzette Kunz rated it liked it
This is kind of an academic and research-based look at the principles in the Proclamation on the Family. It is very dense and I've been reading it for several years, just a little bit at a time. There's a lot of interesting information here, but it's more of a reference book than one you want to just sit down and read cover to cover. I am glad I read it. It was interesting to look at some of the concepts in more depth.
Becca
Feb 05, 2017 Becca rated it really liked it
While there were some passages that needed updates, there were many that were very useful in making me think positively about my role as a wife and a mother, about how I treat all my family members, and how I can work together with my family to make it a strength to society as well as a joy to be a part of. Reading this book spurred many productive conversations with my husband.
Amber
Dec 01, 2010 Amber rated it it was amazing
I read this entire book for a class I took at BYU! Each page had to be read for our grade! So, looking back, that was such a wonderful experience...to see the teachings of prophets and apostles, and also the many researchers and studies conducted to help provide evidence supporting the teachings and doctrine in the Proclamation. I think this would be a great text to read and to give as a gift to anyone wanting to strengthen their family.
Marea
Aug 05, 2009 Marea rated it it was amazing
Of course, fantastic first ever text book on the Proclamation on the Family ! I helped in a very small way by taking a class offered at BYU helping to add our insights/edits to this book. See my name in the acknowledgements :-) That was an awesome class. One of the people to come and talk to us on occasion was the man from Music and the Spoken Word--Lloyd Newell--he is a truly wonderful person.
Jill
Apr 09, 2008 Jill rated it it was amazing
Fantastic in-depth look with essays and real life applicability of the Family Proclamation. Loved it. My husband and I read it together every night...lots of great counsel for raising righteous children, choosing well your future spouse, coping with divorce, understanding abortion and its consequences,etc.
Callie
Mar 12, 2008 Callie rated it it was amazing
This was a textbook I needed for one of my classes. I kept this copy instead of selling it, and one of my professors wrote it. A good reference for different topics relating to the family. Covers everything from marriage counseling to raising children with disabilities. Great to have as a reference for a family.
Genet
Nov 05, 2010 Genet rated it really liked it
I LOVE this book. I have a significant number of essays (though not all) and they have been so insightful and life-changing. I have been amazed at how some of the simple things I have read have really changed my perspective on life and the gospel. I highly recommend this book.
Linda
Jul 27, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: marriage, LDS, Christians
Shelves: lds
I read this back in 2000 and am going through it again. I believe in the sanctity of marriage between an man and a woman to be of God. This Proclamation emphasizes the eternal nature of marriage and family.
Maryann
Dec 27, 2008 Maryann rated it it was amazing
I was barrowing this book and haven't read it completely, but I was very impressed with the articles I read in it. I also felt that it helped me have more understanding with my own family.

I hope to be able to have a copy myself someday.
Channa
Feb 22, 2010 Channa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Channa by: BYU, Family Life 100
Shelves: lds, mfhd, favorites
A great exploration of The Family: A Proclamation to the World. I read this my freshman year for a class at BYU. One of my all-time favorite books. The best reference for anything related to marriage and family.
Christin
Feb 11, 2010 Christin rated it really liked it
Finally finished this! This was a pretty good book. It is written by a lot of different experts on the family. Some of the information was outdated since it was printed around 2000 but it was insightful to read about different aspects of the family on so many different levels.
Erinita
My boss, Rick Meeves, worked on one of the chapters in this book. He's made reference to it several times to me; since the chapter is on single members in the church and I find it rather interesting the information that they have gathered.
Stephanie
Jun 17, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Families
This is a must have for LDS Families, or any family for that fact. It lays out the roles and responsibilities of each family member. It has great ideas on how to deal with and cope with family issues. I love the "Traditions" sections.
Kay
Apr 18, 2014 Kay rated it it was amazing
Using this book to learn more about families. It's a textbook. Inspire of that I'm enjoying reading it and I've gained good Insite to the gospel plan and families. Or maybe how we should be living in spite of ourselves.
Rachel
May 01, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This was one of the text books for my major at BYU. It is one of the best books I have ever read. I came across it again the other day and started reading parts of it. It is so helpful and so inspiring. I recommend that every LDS family have a copy in their home. It is great for FHE too.
Adam Anderson
Jan 27, 2010 Adam Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book and a great resource. The authors do a good job incorporating proclamation principles with supporting scholarly research. I recommend this book to anyone looking to strengthen family relationships.
Monica
Oct 28, 2009 Monica rated it it was amazing
Talk about a great exploration into the proclamation. I read this in college for a class and have it in my "library" as a reference to anything family related! (I also have many lectures from the authors- so that is awesome too!)
Tracy
Jan 23, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing
This dissects the proclamation and gives an in-depth look at the many different aspects, as well as the important eternal truths that are touched on. I have an even greater appreciation for what it contains, and it's something I'll go back to many times over the years.
Nina
Jul 28, 2008 Nina rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I appreciate how many of the statements made in the book are research-based. Would strongly recommend to all. It really hones in on the sanctity of marriage and on our responsibility to strengthen home and family in these latter-days.
Brynn
May 01, 2011 Brynn rated it really liked it
An excellent book that I think LDS families (and can I be as bold as to say all families) should own. It is extremely well put together and beautifully expounds on truths that touch each of us personally as families.
Lori
Feb 11, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
This book is a fabulous in depth study of the proclamation on the family. I loved the insight it has given me as well as practical ways of incorporating the principles of the proclamation into my parenting. I am glad to have this as a part of my library and know I will refer to it often!
Ina
Aug 19, 2009 Ina rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Lots of great thoughts and ideas.
Rada
Jun 26, 2015 Rada rated it really liked it
It was great. The writing was a little academic, but that is to be expected. I learned a lot reading this book.
Valerie
Home Run book. Not a 'fast read' but very worth the time. Loved their analysis of empirical data further strengthening the power of the family in God's plan.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Church History In The Fullness Of Times: Religion 341 343: The History Of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints (32502)
  • A Single Voice
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • Covenant Hearts: Marriage and the Joy of Human Love
  • A Witness and a Warning: A Modern-Day Prophet Testifies of the Book of Mormon
  • What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child
  • Behind Every Good Man: Helping Your Husband Take Spiritual Lead in the Home
  • The Presidents of the Church: Insights Into Their Lives and Teachings
  • With Full Purpose of Heart
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
  • Between Husband & Wife
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 4 (Mortal Messiah)
  • Not My Will, but Thine