Start by marking “In the Castle of the Flynns” as Want to Read:
In the Castle of the Flynns

In the Castle of the Flynns

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The year is 1954 and Daniel Dorsey learns at the age of eight the intimate meaning of death when his parents are killed in a car crash. Taken in by his colorful, at times mad, and always tender and caring extended family, Daniel learns that even the deepest sorrows and hurt can be healed.
Michael Raleigh's In the Castle of the Flynns is about a young boy growing up Irish i
Published December 3rd 2005 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about In the Castle of the Flynns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Castle of the Flynns

Carolyn Agosta
I read this book on the recommendation of my sister, and I certainly pass on that recommendation. This story, which reads like a true experience, is not only a wonderful look at the Irish Catholic experience in 1955 Chicago, it's also a story about how love (or the lack of it) determines so much in our lives. The book is hilarious in places (like the wedding of the main character's uncle, where the world's oldest man arrives late to church and shuffles in at the 'pace of the Wisconsin glacier', ...more
Lovely book written from the view of a man looking back at his childhood in the 50's. He lost his parents at an early age and the story follows him as he and his remaining family adjust to a new life. The story was well paced and kept my interest until the end.
Marisa Gonzalez
The story of a young boy living in 1950's Chicago who loses both parents and is raised by his grandparents and various relatives. The characters in this book were so real it read like a memoir. I loved the innocence of the main character and how this book evoked so many emotions. Happiness, sadness, anger and some really great laughs. I highly recommend it.
A boy finds himself tragically orphaned at a very young age, and his extended Irish family steps up to take him in and try their best to raise him. This is a lovely "memior" of growing up in the late 40s early 50s in Chicago, and a tight Irish family. How much fun it was to watch the tribulations of his uncle's love lives from the perspective of a young boy who admits that he doesn's understand it all. There are escapades with his cousin and a boy-genius who owns a chemistry set (there's a reaso ...more
Although this book begins with the death of Danny's parents, it is far from depressing. Danny gets taken in by his grandparents, the Irish-Catholic Flynn family, living in Chicago in the 1950's. This is a charming and endearing tale; you can't help but love this family. I listened to the audio book from my iPod at work, and some parts had me laughing aloud at my desk -- the book itself is funny, but the narrator is terrific and does all the different voices. I definitely recommend this book to o ...more
The dialog was great, I could hear these voices as I read. Would make a great movie.
Well written charming. Daniel Dorsey has lost both parents in a car crash. But this story is less about grief and more about how he adapts to living with his Mother's extended family - a large Irish catholic family living in Chicago in the 50's. The family dynamics will bring tears to your eyes and make you laugh out loud.
a great read about an Irish-Catholic family during the innocent 50s. Thoroughly enjoyed it and had a hard time putting it down
I loved this book! It's told from the point of view of an 8-yr-old boy in 1955 Chicago who has lost both his parents and is taken in by his maternal grandparents. He describes the colorful characters on both sides of his family, his antics with schoolmates and beautifully & comically retells the events that take place during that time. The author depicts the emotions of this young character very insightfully and brings you into his heart. This book will make you laugh & cry....
Robert Palmer
A very good story about growing up in a Chicago neighborhood in the 50s.I can remember everything in this book like it was yesterday.If you did not grow up in Chicago or any other large city,this book will give you a feel of what it was all about.
Last Saturday the author,Michael Raleigh,gave a talk at the Villa Park library and it was great.
I can't think of any of my friends who wouldn't give this book 5 stars.
A young boy's loss of his parents in a car accident then going to live with his grand parents an Irish/American household in Chicago in the 50s. The chapter on the funeral was at once hilarious and touching. Lots of humour in the first half of the book even though the topic was serious, then the author abandoned what made me fall in love with the book in the first place - too bad.
Ann Wolfe
I loved this book! Being Irish and raised Catholic, I could really relate to much of it. It was an easy and very enjoyable book that I would recommend.
funny, sad, touching, wonderful story of an 8 year old boy and his family
Lake County Public Library Indiana
As I read this novel, I had to keep reminding myself that it is not a memoir about the author's life. Raleigh's presentation of a year in the life of Daniel Dorsey, orphaned at the age of seven, is so personal and poignant and true to its setting (a Chicago neighborhood in the 1950's) that it seems impossible that isn't 'true'.
--Sharon, Central
Pamela Barrett
Sweet poignant snapshot of a Irish American boy growing up in 1950's Chicago. A story of a young life turned upside down by the death of his parents, and his strange but wonderful family who struggles to make a normal life for him. I laughed and cried as I read this book. Touching memories beautifully captured.
I loved this book and could relate much of it to my own Irish catholic upbringing. The story is written with such feeling that I have to wonder how much of it the author may have experienced within his own family. It reads as if an autobiography. Great choice for anyone who embraces their Irish heritage.
I really liked this book, it was funny, it was sad, it was life, and written very well. The author did a nice job of relaying the feelings and emotions of 7 year old Daniel all while keeping the mystery that this age allows in tact.
Started off SO GOOD. A precocious, eloquent narrator. Humor. 1950s Chicago. Then it started to get a plot and people started talking too much. It turned cliche and I found myself not caring about the characters anymore.
Raleigh is a prof in Chicago. I wish he would write more. He wrote this and Blue Moon Circus and both are extraordinary. An aside....why when something is really good is it extra-ordinary? Our language is so odd.
Charming story of Danny, who is orphaned at age 7, and moves in with his Irish grandparents on the northwest side of Chicago. I loved reading about Chicago during that time, and Danny's story is very touching.
This is another book set in my era. It is the story of an Irish Catholic orphan growing up with his extended family in Chicago during the 50s. Interesting characters....nostalgic references.
It was a coming of age story, like others, but I really liked how it described the Irish part of Chicago in the 1950's. It makes me want to ask my friends from Chicago how authentic it is.
This was one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read. It was touching and humorous. I read parts of it aloud to my family and laughed harder each time I tried to read it.
reading for book club. So far I love it. Very heavy in Chicago neighborhood detail, which I enjoy because I know the neighborhood pretty well.
I really enjoyed this story. It was well written and entertaining. There was a little swearing, but quite clean considering the content of the book.
I really liked this. It was a smidge slow at points, yet I could really connect to it and had no trouble continuing to read. I'd read it again.
Nicole Marble
Growing up Irish in 1950's Chicago. It has a certain charm that mostly led me away from the book and into remembering long lost adventures of my own.
A good read about an orphaned kid taken in by loving relatives. There are some laugh-out-loud scenes of boys being boys (they tell me!)
This book is an engrossing look at family life in the 50s. There are some hilarious moments as well as some sad ones.
Great book written through the voice of a young boy about his life with his Irish grandparents in Chicago. Enjoyed this book.
  • Land of Lincoln: Adventures in Abe's America
  • The Wise Wound: Menstruation and Everywoman
  • The Purveyor of Enchantment
  • Northwest Corner
  • Aerodynamics of Pork
  • Maeve Binchy: Three Complete Books: The Lilac Bus; Firefly Summer; Silver Wedding
  • Note Found in a Bottle
  • Strong for Potatoes: A Novel
  • Till I End My Song: A Gathering of Last Poems
  • My Father's Notebook: A Novel of Iran
  • Old Dogs and Children
  • Hunters and Gatherers
  • The Cardinal
  • Careless
Michael Raleigh is the author of nine novels. His newest book, PEERLESS DETECTIVE, will appear in August, 2015 (Diversion Books). His previous books include THE CONJURER'S BOY (Harvard Square Editions), IN THE CASTLE OF THE FLYNNS (Sourcebooks 2002, reprinted 2012) THE BLUE MOON CIRCUS (Sourcebooks 2003) and the five Paul Whelan mysteries (DEATH IN UPTOWN, A BODY IN BELMONT HARBOR, THE MAXWELL STR ...more
More about Michael Raleigh...
The Blue Moon Circus Death in Uptown (Paul Whelan, #1) The Riverview Murders (Paul Whelan, #5) Death in Uptown: A Paul Whelan Mystery A Body in Belmont Harbor (Paul Whelan, #2)