Start by marking “The Highly Engaged Classroom” as Want to Read:
The Highly Engaged Classroom

The Highly Engaged Classroom

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Student engagement happens as a result of a teacher's careful planning and execution of specific strategies. This basic premise drives The Highly Engaged Classroom, a self-study text that provides in-depth understanding of how to generate high levels of student attention and engagement. Using the suggestions in this book, every teacher can create a classroom environment wh ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Mrl

To ask other readers questions about The Highly Engaged Classroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highly Engaged Classroom

Jfrager
Jul 02, 2011 Jfrager is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The Highly Engaged Classroom By Robert Marzano

Pg 1 – Engagement is obviously a central aspect of effective teaching. If students are not engaged, there is little, if any, chance that they will learn what is being addressed in class.

Every teacher can create a classroom environment in which engagement is the norm instead of the exception.

***Idea – make posters of good quotes to put in the lounge or put a quote in the teacher’s weekly bulletin.

Chapter 1
Pg 3
If our emotions are negative in that mome
Christina
This was a really interesting book. I liked how it started off with an examination of recent research in education and applied it in a straight-forward way towards the classroom. It didn't feel preachy (like education books often do), and it had a nice balance between strategies aimed at elementary teachers as well as secondary teachers. I was also pleased to see that the examples were varied and catered to various school subjects. I do however wish there had been more examples of games and acti ...more
Ms.
Three stars is a fairly high rating for books I have read about teaching. Pros: The last chapter, applying the information while planning, was an especially effective and practical review/summary. I appreciate the research based approach of this series by Marzano, and the authors do go farther than most others in breaking down their recommendations into clear actions that teachers can take or avoid. Cons: Too much of the books is devoted to classroom scenarios that did nothing to further my unde ...more
Jessica
Jun 18, 2013 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Educators
Recommended to Jessica by: Teacher bookclub
I just finished this book for my teacher book club (yes, yes I'm a nerd). Marzano is a wiz when it comes to practical classroom strategies. I just gave it a so-so rating because many of the tools and ideas were things I already implement in my daily taeching. Yet, I did get some good ideas (celebration board and four corners!) that I will definitely be trying out next year. The book made me miss teaching, and I'm only a week into break!
Emily Rakowsky
This is a book for your professional library. I am currently taking the Educational Models course and this is the book that we used. I really liked it because it gave very practical ways to engage students. It had new information as well as good reminders of how to engage students in lessons. It also gave recommendations of other books to read or websites to use. Overall, a very helpful book!
Christie Purdon
This book offers insight to what students are thinking and asking for in the way of having a relevant and engaging classroom experience. As teachers we must pay attention to and adjust our practice to meet students' needs. Great information and a useful planning template. Too many scenarios that didn't do much for me.
Colin
A good review of things that we should all know form Ed school. Much of this is aimed at elementary and middle school, but there is enough so that high school teachers should be able to modify things and make them work.
Neena Grosvenor
This book has practical applications that can implemented immediately. I loved the scenarios for better understanding as well as the resource lists and forms supplied. An excellent tool for any educator.
Monica
Always great information from Marzano. This was a professional read go the summer and unfortunately , the major portion of this book seems to be repeat information from Marzano's other studies.
Dave

Marzano (et al) is once again full of good advice. Unfortunately the highly engaged classroom is not a highly engaging book!
Jim
Aug 21, 2012 Jim is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading for knowledge as part of my job so here we go..
Sky Robyns
Good clear strategies for educators...
Mary
Pithy. I don't disagree, just found little new to wrestle with. A book that could be read, absorbed in just a few sittings.
Jenny Wilcox
Jenny Wilcox is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
Mariam
Mariam marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Colleen Costa
Colleen Costa marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Nicole  Thompson
Nicole Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Liudmyla Beraud
Liudmyla Beraud marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Mummy Masayu
Mummy Masayu marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement
  • Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning
  • Essential Questions: Opening Doors to Student Understanding
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Embedded Formative Assessment
  • How the Brain Learns
  • Teach Like a Champion Field Guide: The Complete Handbook to Master the Art of Teaching
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner
  • Positive Discipline in the Classroom,: Developing Mutual Respect, Cooperation, and Responsibility in Your Classroom
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • Teaching for Comprehending and Fluency: Thinking, Talking, and Writing About Reading, K-8
Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction Classroom Management That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Every Teacher School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results Building Academic Vocabulary: Teacher's Manual