Teaching with Love & Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom

Teaching with Love & Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,443 ratings  ·  127 reviews
Discover why the Love and Logic approach works in the school environment, and understand the psychological reasons for its effectiveness. Jim Fay and David Funk's truly positive approach and time-tested ideas and strategies will empower teachers to effectively manage classroom dynamics while bringing the joy back to teaching. * Puts teachers in control of the classroom dis...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Love & Logic Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching with Love & Logic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching with Love & Logic

Jessica
Oct 04, 2009 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Jessica by: Mark
Like any "self-help" sort of book, the basic things are repeated over and over. And over. But sometimes it's not until the 10th time that you read it that it clicks.

I'm honestly not sure how to apply some of the principles suggested here--like whispering in a kid's ear and then walking away, or saying something like, "Can you do that in Mr. Johnson's room? I'm not sure how to handle it right now."

I've tried to remember to use the statements about me, as *I* am the only person I can control (th...more
Dan
Jul 18, 2008 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone working with kids
I was handed this book by the head of a middle school and it is a solid piece of work. The subtitle is a bit misleading since much of the emphasis is on sharing control with your students. The basic idea is that people's self-worth and desire for control are at play in most situations where a student is 'misbehaving'. Therefore, valuing the student (regardless of the judgment of their behavior), showing empathy, giving students options in situations where we might usually dictate, and giving stu...more
I found this book really helpful, and I'm looking forward to putting the ideas into practice next week when the students start school. The idea behind "teaching with love and logic" is that, instead of having a discipline system of rules and punishments, teachers address discipline issues on the basis of principles. This means that each instance is addressed uniquely. It also means that the kid is made to do most of the work in resolving the problem and thereby actually learns how to problem-sol...more
Mark Schlatter
Of all the books I've read so far on classroom management, I believe the Love and Logic approach fits best with my personal philosophy: give the students as much control as possible over their environment, backed up with natural and reasonable consequences and teacher consistency. The goal is to educate students in making good decisions while preserving their self concept while off-loading work from teachers onto students.

The problem is that the book --- while it has a solid philosophy --- is di...more
Melissa
I have used these techniques while student teaching and they actually work. I think it's a humane, stress-free way of dealing with teenagers in particular, in a way that makes sense, with compassion, reason and the proper placement of responsibility for behavior choices.

Marla
I'm intrigued by the idea and think it has definite possibilities, but the material in this book was not well compiled and edited. I found it redundant in some places and unclear in others.
Chris Bates
Works for teachers and parents. Choices give people power. Giving acceptable choices relenquishes power within boundaries.
Heather
I'm currently re-reading this book because it requires continued study and reflection. It's probably one of the best tools I've found for behavior management in a classroom, and possibly the only system that can work in an online teaching environment. The ideas seem so simple, but the application with a cool head under pressure takes much study and practice. I've found I've mastered several of the ideas put forth in the text and am mining it for the next ideas I can apply.

As for the writing itse...more
Bea Bolinger
Written 20 years ago a lot of the "cutting edge" and "out-of-the-box" concepts are now pretty common sense. Still it gives some good examples and walks you through how to apply logic to conflicts with students. Would be most helpful to have more application and less repeative preaching about why we should try this approach but it would need to be updated first.
Liz
Loved this. Can't express how helpful this book is. I'm a new teacher and need actual strategies to put into practice. This book provided that, along with some changes in attitude I really need.

This book deals with building relationships with students, teaching them to think and providing consequences in a way that will foster relationships and thinking on the part of the student. It addresses primarily classroom management, but can be applied to other areas as well.
Delonna
Jun 26, 2008 Delonna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers, administrators, Parents
Recommended to Delonna by: Suzanne Livingston
I have been teaching for about 3 1/2 years. My parents used Love and Logic in our house, so as a classroom tool, it made great sense to me.
It taught me how to effectively interact with all students, even the ones that "push my buttons" in constructive way.
They have easy to use ideas that do not replace what you're already doing. You might decide to change something you're doing now, but its not meant to be a system really. It is about controlling you and letting them control themselves.
It takes...more
Stephen Gallagher
I read this book cover to cover one year and implemented many of its strategies, but it ultimately failed to provide a practical solution to handling classroom discipline for me. Many of the techniques used are manipulative and hard to implement effectively and consistently.
Yeva
Love and Logic is an interesting take on classroom management, and it's a good take. As I've read this book, I've tried many of the suggestions it offered. Too right! Although some of the interventions take too long to implement, most of the ways to build relationships and stop control fights work wonderfully well. Great resource for beginning teachers!
Diana (Bever) Barber
This is another "MUST BUY" for me. It should be on my reference shelf and periodically re-read. It is all the more important now with homeschool in full-throttle. It's one thing to offer the usual parental Love and Logic choices, but it is so much better to have some apropos school-type choices modeled and suggested, as in this book. What better way to maintain classroom calm and control than with choices that you wisely offer for the students to select. I've already used some of the suggestions...more
Amanda
This is a helpful book for developing your philosophy of classroom management. I didn't agree with everything that was suggested but I will be implementing a lot of these techniques in my own classroom. The authors focus on positive interactions and teaching students to be responsible for their own behavior. I liked how the authors acknowledged that not all of these techniques will work with every student or every situation. A lot of teacher books imply that their way is the only way. Overall, v...more
Ali
Jul 20, 2012 Ali rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, administrators, parents
Recommended to Ali by: My school district
Shelves: teaching
I have to say that as a teacher of the very youngest children, these strategies don't always work with the tiny ones. They are just not old enough to understand what you're trying to do at times. I think that one of the most important things about this book is the concept of choice. Kids need to feel that they had a choice in how they misbehaved and now they have a choice to fix it. I also use the "bummer" line a lot when my kids throw crazy fits. It doesn't just help them, it helps you.
Kimball Ungerman
This book has solid principles for helping any teacher or parent dealing with youth. The foundations apply well for classroom or home. Quote from one reader: This book became the foundation of my discipline technique in the classroom. It helped me with some of the most difficult students. I love it because it focuses on choices, natural consequences, compassion, and developing a trusting relationship with the child as a foundation for discipline.
Karen
Some very real and helpful tips. Good philosophy. I find including the empathy part when I'm talking to kids can make an enormous difference! The book itself gets a bit repetitive, but I find the theories behind love & logic to be really positive and have helped me make good changes in my classroom management. Would like to read the parenting book too. (Only 3 stars because I'm way more into fiction. It's not really the book's fault.)
Bobby Jenkins
This book should definitely be read by all entering the teaching profession. While it is certainly not the only method of classroom management, I've grown to understand the importance of student investment through allowing them choices and this book supports just this. It's easy to read and provides plenty of examples for teachers at all stages of their career. I'll be sure to keep this on my shelf for years to come.
Stacy
This book gives you the tools you need to take back the classroom without being a Nazi about it. I've seen too many teachers ruin their potentially awesome career by letting the students get the best of them. This book helps you realize what you need to do differently in order to maintain control of the classroom, understand your students motives, and nip the problems in the bud. A MUST READ for every teacher!
Renee
Jul 19, 2010 Renee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
4.5 This is a must read for anyone who will work or is currently working with children. One idea that I was thinking about was, never engage in power struggles with people, especially children. When you let anger drive your actions you have lost control and you create a win/lose or a lose/lose situation. Wouldn't it be great if we could create a win/win situation? Read Love & Logic (also read Punished by Rewards!)
Becky
LOVE this style of teaching!

Jim Fay has some incredible ideas for how to manage student behavior while teaching them to think for themselves.

Side note - I finished all but the last couple of chapters because with teaching it got set aside. Most of the super practical daily stuff is at the beginning and can be applied almost immediately to most daily happenings in the classroom though!
Julie Worsham
GREAT Book for teachers!! Goes along with much of what I was taught at Texas State but gives scenarios and how to handle them...puts the emphasis on having children have choices and let them us THEIR energy to solve their own problems, being a emphatic teacher and sharing control. Will build great teacher-student relationships. Curious to read more of the Love and Logic books.
Jolie Hiddleston
I read this book near the end of my teaching career. I wished I had read it much sooner. It was extremely helpful! I attended several Love and Logic seminars and they really helped to solidify the concepts in my mind and in my daily practice. I would like to read the parenting books by the same authors because this is a discipline philosophy I can really buy into.
JoyfulK
The Love and Logic principles are excellent. This particular book about them is decent, but dated. Read one of the other Love and Logic books first. Try out Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood, the most readable of the set. Then, if you're a teacher, read this one. It will make more sense after having the principles introduced in a clearer and more current context.
Meagan
This book was (I believe) an out-growth of a seminar series on the same topic, and it shows. It has a lot of good ideas in it, but I think I would have preferred them from a peppy keynote speaker + power point presentation than in the form of a book. The book is pretty repetitive and written in a very pop-self-help kind of way.
Liz
The principles of this book could/should be applied to all aspects of life. Any good relationship is built on structures of love and logic.

I remember really valuing the real life principal experiences shared in the early chapters. This is definitely something I would like to re-read when I go back to the classroom.
Skylar Burris
Aug 23, 2013 Skylar Burris marked it as to-read-nonfiction  ·  review of another edition
My children will be going to a new school this year, and all through the orientations (multiple), the teachers and administrators kept saying, "We're a love and logic school" without ever once saying what - if anything - that meant. I assume it has something to do with this book, so onto my to-read list it goes.
Cheryll
This seems to be a very good strategy for classroom management and behavior therapy. I have used it some in my classroom and it works. It was recommended to me by some fellow teachers who use Love & Logic in there entire schools. It is also a great resource for parenting. There are many books geared for parents
Mandy Dale
Same excellent advice as the audio versions but formatted for a school teacher instead. Focuses more on classroom management which makes sense for the institutional teacher. Still could identify with the time management and task-oriented issues though so not a complete wash-out for a homeschooling parent.

Does it work? 2 24 Feb 15, 2010 06:55PM
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students By Their Brains
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • First Six Weeks of School,The
  • The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher [With CDROM]
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • The Daily Five
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Reading with Meaning
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College (K-12)
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Morning Meeting Book, The
  • Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56
  • See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood Love and Logic Magic When Kids Leave You Speechless Parenting with Love and Logic: Teaching Children Responsibility From Innocence to Entitlement: A Love and Logic Cure for the Tragedy of Entitlement Toddlers and Preschoolers: Love and Logic Parenting for Early Childhood, 6 Months to Five Years