Start by marking “Teaching with Love & Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom” as Want to Read:
Teaching with Love & Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom

Teaching with Love & Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,886 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
Discover why the Love and Logic approach works in the school environment, and understand the psychological reasons for its effectiveness. Jim Fay and David Funk's truly positive approach and time-tested ideas and strategies will empower teachers to effectively manage classroom dynamics while bringing the joy back to teaching. * Puts teachers in control of the classroom dis ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Love & Logic Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching with Love & Logic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching with Love & Logic

Sep 01, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book really helpful, and I'm looking forward to putting the ideas into practice next week when the students start school. The idea behind "teaching with love and logic" is that, instead of having a discipline system of rules and punishments, teachers address discipline issues on the basis of principles. This means that each instance is addressed uniquely. It also means that the kid is made to do most of the work in resolving the problem and thereby actually learns how to problem-sol ...more
Jessica
Oct 04, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Jessica by: Mark
Like any "self-help" sort of book, the basic things are repeated over and over. And over. But sometimes it's not until the 10th time that you read it that it clicks.

I'm honestly not sure how to apply some of the principles suggested here--like whispering in a kid's ear and then walking away, or saying something like, "Can you do that in Mr. Johnson's room? I'm not sure how to handle it right now."

I've tried to remember to use the statements about me, as *I* am the only person I can control (th
Dan
Jul 18, 2008 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone working with kids
I was handed this book by the head of a middle school and it is a solid piece of work. The subtitle is a bit misleading since much of the emphasis is on sharing control with your students. The basic idea is that people's self-worth and desire for control are at play in most situations where a student is 'misbehaving'. Therefore, valuing the student (regardless of the judgment of their behavior), showing empathy, giving students options in situations where we might usually dictate, and giving stu ...more
Mark Schlatter
Of all the books I've read so far on classroom management, I believe the Love and Logic approach fits best with my personal philosophy: give the students as much control as possible over their environment, backed up with natural and reasonable consequences and teacher consistency. The goal is to educate students in making good decisions while preserving their self concept while off-loading work from teachers onto students.

The problem is that the book --- while it has a solid philosophy --- is di
Melissa
Mar 18, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
I have used these techniques while student teaching and they actually work. I think it's a humane, stress-free way of dealing with teenagers in particular, in a way that makes sense, with compassion, reason and the proper placement of responsibility for behavior choices.

Alison
Aug 24, 2014 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of so many "I can't wait to try this out!" ideas that at times it is a bit overwhelming. I plowed through it with a pen & highlighter within easy reach. Normally I am a stickler about not dog-earring a book, but I found myself unable to resist...there were so many things that I wanted to be able to turn back to right away without having to hunt through the index to find. The part I find most helpful is that the authors were excellent & reminding the reader throughout to ...more
Marla
Dec 18, 2010 Marla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm intrigued by the idea and think it has definite possibilities, but the material in this book was not well compiled and edited. I found it redundant in some places and unclear in others.
Chris Bates
Jun 01, 2012 Chris Bates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching, parents
Works for teachers and parents. Choices give people power. Giving acceptable choices relenquishes power within boundaries.
Siskiyou-Suzy
Just once I wish advice on disciplining children would contain this: "This method will work for a lot of children, but you're probably going to run into a child who just doesn't care. They will not respond the way I'm claiming they will to any of these solutions and eventually you will run out of advice that I've given. Basically, you're on your own." Teaching with Love and Logic does not admit this, so you just have to know it going in.

I was recommended the love and logic way by my boss, a lead
Heather
Jun 27, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently re-reading this book because it requires continued study and reflection. It's probably one of the best tools I've found for behavior management in a classroom, and possibly the only system that can work in an online teaching environment. The ideas seem so simple, but the application with a cool head under pressure takes much study and practice. I've found I've mastered several of the ideas put forth in the text and am mining it for the next ideas I can apply.

As for the writing itse
Becki
This was a great book full of strategies for classroom management.\nDefinite must read for first year teachers (and every year for any teacher).\nThere is no need for the consequence to be immediate\nBe consistent\nConsequences with empathy\nGive choices when possible so you've 'earned' dictatorship on important issues. But make sure you can live with both choices.
Bea Bolinger
Written 20 years ago a lot of the "cutting edge" and "out-of-the-box" concepts are now pretty common sense. Still it gives some good examples and walks you through how to apply logic to conflicts with students. Would be most helpful to have more application and less repeative preaching about why we should try this approach but it would need to be updated first.
Liz
Jul 13, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
Loved this. Can't express how helpful this book is. I'm a new teacher and need actual strategies to put into practice. This book provided that, along with some changes in attitude I really need.

This book deals with building relationships with students, teaching them to think and providing consequences in a way that will foster relationships and thinking on the part of the student. It addresses primarily classroom management, but can be applied to other areas as well.
Delonna
Jun 26, 2008 Delonna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers, administrators, Parents
Recommended to Delonna by: Suzanne Livingston
I have been teaching for about 3 1/2 years. My parents used Love and Logic in our house, so as a classroom tool, it made great sense to me.
It taught me how to effectively interact with all students, even the ones that "push my buttons" in constructive way.
They have easy to use ideas that do not replace what you're already doing. You might decide to change something you're doing now, but its not meant to be a system really. It is about controlling you and letting them control themselves.
It takes
Fredrick Danysh
Teaching is an art. The author attempts to pass on some ideas and skills to aid teachers in reaching all students. The author also addresses the difference between expectations and reality. This is a nice book for teachers and anyone else involved in helping students learn.
Stephen
I read this book cover to cover one year and implemented many of its strategies, but it ultimately failed to provide a practical solution to handling classroom discipline for me. Many of the techniques used are manipulative and hard to implement effectively and consistently.
Kiersten Krog
Oct 07, 2015 Kiersten Krog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read filled with tons of information!

I definitely want to be a love and logic teacher and this will be a great book to have when I begin teaching. Giving children options and making them think is very important and a great idea.
Clint Tidwell
Oct 22, 2015 Clint Tidwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Wish I ha tea it before the school season started so that I could have absorbed it better and had time to process it before trying to use it in my classroom.
Yeva
Mar 16, 2014 Yeva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love and Logic is an interesting take on classroom management, and it's a good take. As I've read this book, I've tried many of the suggestions it offered. Too right! Although some of the interventions take too long to implement, most of the ways to build relationships and stop control fights work wonderfully well. Great resource for beginning teachers!
david
Mar 15, 2015 david rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful guidelines for teaching and parenting.

Enhance self-concept
Share control
Consequences with Empathy
Share thinking
Julia
Dec 30, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a class I'm taking to renew my teaching license and am enjoying it very much.
Vanessa Siino Haack
I wish the stars went to 11. This book is revolutionizing my classroom.
Justin
Dec 30, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've used bits and pieces of this classroom management philosophy, but the book does a good job of building from philosophy to practice. Sometimes their dialogues are a little forces, but it's clear what they are treating to convey. The big takeaway from this philosophy is that it's so easy to implement because it starts with you. You decide what your limits and boundaries are and what you're going to do about it. You give some control to gain control. Once you understand the philosophy it can a ...more
Catherine
Eh, ok. Some useful, some not.
Diana (Bever) Barber
This is another "MUST BUY" for me. It should be on my reference shelf and periodically re-read. It is all the more important now with homeschool in full-throttle. It's one thing to offer the usual parental Love and Logic choices, but it is so much better to have some apropos school-type choices modeled and suggested, as in this book. What better way to maintain classroom calm and control than with choices that you wisely offer for the students to select. I've already used some of the suggestions ...more
Amanda
Jun 18, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
This is a helpful book for developing your philosophy of classroom management. I didn't agree with everything that was suggested but I will be implementing a lot of these techniques in my own classroom. The authors focus on positive interactions and teaching students to be responsible for their own behavior. I liked how the authors acknowledged that not all of these techniques will work with every student or every situation. A lot of teacher books imply that their way is the only way. Overall, v ...more
Ali
Jul 20, 2012 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, administrators, parents
Recommended to Ali by: My school district
Shelves: teaching
I have to say that as a teacher of the very youngest children, these strategies don't always work with the tiny ones. They are just not old enough to understand what you're trying to do at times. I think that one of the most important things about this book is the concept of choice. Kids need to feel that they had a choice in how they misbehaved and now they have a choice to fix it. I also use the "bummer" line a lot when my kids throw crazy fits. It doesn't just help them, it helps you.
Danielle
Sold on the program. Only lost a star because some of the chapters felt repetitive. :)
Kimball Ungerman
This book has solid principles for helping any teacher or parent dealing with youth. The foundations apply well for classroom or home. Quote from one reader: This book became the foundation of my discipline technique in the classroom. It helped me with some of the most difficult students. I love it because it focuses on choices, natural consequences, compassion, and developing a trusting relationship with the child as a foundation for discipline.
Karen
Sep 18, 2011 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very real and helpful tips. Good philosophy. I find including the empathy part when I'm talking to kids can make an enormous difference! The book itself gets a bit repetitive, but I find the theories behind love & logic to be really positive and have helped me make good changes in my classroom management. Would like to read the parenting book too. (Only 3 stars because I'm way more into fiction. It's not really the book's fault.)
Does it work? 2 27 Feb 15, 2010 06:55PM
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students by Their Brains
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • The Daily Five
  • The First Days Of School: How To Be An Effective Teacher
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • The Morning Meeting Book
  • The Passionate Teacher: A Practical Guide
  • Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College
  • Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching