Start by marking “Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent's Guide to Cosleeping” as Want to Read:
Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent's Guide to Cosleeping

Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent's Guide to Cosleeping

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  27 reviews
This book provides the latest information on the potential scientific benefits of cosleeping. Complete with sections minimizing hazards and risks, this book explains why and how to sleep with your baby.
Published June 1st 2009 by Platypus Media (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping with Your Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping with Your Baby

I liked that this book had very clear safety guidelines for co-sleeping, including illustrated do's and don'ts. I felt that there was an even-handed approach, advocating room-sharing vs. bed-sharing where risk factors exist. And they did a fine job of evaluating the recommendations against co-sleeping and then pointing out where more data needed to be studied. Appendix III (the AAP SIDS statement) and Appendix IV through VII (the responses from individuals/organizations who disagreed with the AA ...more
Reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding totally changed the way I parent, and this book, Sleeping with Your Baby helped me feel great about bedsharing, something that our culture, media, and even the AAP warns against. My thought is that if something feels good and natural and has worked throughout the course of human evolution, it is probably a good thing to do on many levels, as long as the parents educate themselves and do it safely. This book had a lot of "good science," and is a helpful an ...more
Erika RS
This book contains a lot of useful information on why cosleeping is valuable to both infants and parents. It also clearly differentiates different types of cosleeping -- bed sharing vs sidecar style vs room sharing -- and their varied risks.

I think that understanding the risks of cosleeping and how to avoid them is important for any family. As is noted often, not just in this book, most parents end up sharing a bed with their infant at least some of the time. Knowing how to do so safely is thus
David Taitelbaum
We plan on roomsharing for sure and will probably dabble a bit in co-sleeping and see how that goes. This book has some good info however there are two big drawbacks to this book:

1. McKenna spends far too much of the early half of this book defending co-sleeping. This is understandable given co-sleeping is not viewed as acceptable by the mainstream (the American Academy of Pediatrics warns against co-sleeping). I think most people who take the time to buy and read the book are interested in find
This book is a must-read for those interested in co-sleeping, but that being said, it's not a must-buy or must-have. Borrow a copy from a friend or get it from the library.

Quick read (1 day). Gives guidelines and history of co-sleeping and bed-sharing, with tips on how to do it safely.

See also his websites:
Sandra Hatton

I felt it was a little repetitive, but it had a lot of interesting facts about co-sleeping/bed sharing. I learned a lot and had all my suspicions and beliefs about the dangers of "crying it out" and importance of bed sharing confirmed. I definitely recommend all new mommies and daddies read this before they have their baby so that they can start co-sleeping from day one guilt-free. Everyone gets more sleep!
Sarah Joy
Good reference, super quick read. I give it three stars only because I was expecting more content, or more secrets that aren't already easily extracted from other parenting books I'm reading.

I guess it's just reassuring to have one book on my shelf that's an authority on the subject, though. James McKenna truly is an amazing researcher and pioneer for infant sleep health!
Really simple book. Good practical do's and don'ts, but nothing too suprising. Draws attention to the fact that much of current Western practice is based on cultural preferences and assumptions rather than research, and that the media has overstated the dangers of cosleeping, especially considering it is predominant practice in much of the world.
This seemed to make sense based on all the other things I've learnt about babies recently. So i wasn't surprised to find similar arguments being used that I've heard before - its impossible to spoil a baby, babies that are attended to more promptly cope better, cry less etc and on and on. It supports itself pretty admirably with a ton of science, and provides jumping off points to delve further into the subject if you remain unconvinced.

Based on what I've learnt and read, alot of the ways I ori
James McKenna is a wonderful researcher, the first to study the sleep of mothers and infants together. He has published many peer-reviewed articles on the benefits of co-sleeping, as well as his book (which is more aimed at a general audience).
This is a pro co sleeping guide to all the benefits of sleeping with your baby, how to do so safely and when not to. This book made me feel everything I already felt was right indeed was.
Sarah-Mae Adam
This book had very clear guidelines to how to, and who should, safely co-sleep with your infant. While the author is clearly pro-cosleeping, he continues to stress that co-sleeping is not for everyone, must be practiced safely, and that there are certainly situations in which parents and families should not co-sleep.

"This book is intended to provide a balanced, comprehensive and holistic perspective on cosleeping and bedsharing, specifically while breast feeding. It is intended to provide safety
While I don't have any children yet I picked up this book to hopefull learn more about co-sleeping as this is something that I will be doing when I become a parent.

I found the book very simply written and honestly did not learn anything that I had not already known. What I did find in the book I feel is common sense to me but I can see how someone who has never heard of bed sharing would learn a great deal from this book.
If you are considering co-sleeping (or bedsharing), but are hesitant, this books tells you what to do, and what not to do. It is filled with practical tips and answers to frequently asked questions, and is great for parents wanting to know how to co-sleep safely. I was only disappointed that it merely discussed the potential benefits of co-sleeping cursorily.
What a great book. It is nice to read the positive & scientific facts behind cosleeping. McKenna is an anthropologist & has a mom/baby sleep research lab at Notre Dame. Cosleeping has many benefits for mom & baby esp for breastfeeding, attachment & safety. It was quick & easy to read too!
Good, consise read about the benefits (and cautions) of co-sleeping -- a term which includes bed-sharing and simply having the baby sleep in your bedroom on a separate surface (i.e. crib, bassinet, co-sleeper).
Good book. Quick and easy to follow. Would recommend balancing it with some books by Sears. This is the first time I read some of the different opinions on placement of the bed in the room.
due to my having gotten this from a library, I didn't get the read as much as I wanted in the time I had allotted. What I read was great, though, and very helpful.
Great safety guidelines backed by research. Made me feel much more confident in out decision to sleep with our baby in the face of criticism from family
Really informational. It helped me and my husband clarify our own opinions about co-sleeping and come up with some ideas about what to do when the time comes.
Great research!
Easy to read!
Helped me to see that what I am doing for my son is incredibly healthy and has been done for ages, despite my many critics.
I first read this book when I was pregnant with my son. We followed the guidelines for safe co-sleeping and he is a bright, energetic toddler.
Nothing I did not already know. Concise, general info for those new to co-sleeping concepts. Ones by Doctor Sears are more in depth, though.
We did co-sleeping for the first couple of weeks, and room sharing for 5 months. This book was a helpful quick guide.
was hoping for more practical advice on the family bed vs. an essay on the reasons why.
ins and outs of co-sleeping, well written, accessible and good research
A little repetitive but very good information with references!
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Christina marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • Nighttime Parenting (Revised): How to Get Your Baby and Child to Sleep
  • Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts Are Bad for Business
  • Birth and Breastfeeding: Rediscovering the Needs of Women During Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • The Science of Parenting
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
  • Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • Your Amazing Newborn
Dr. McKenna is the author of Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent's Guide to Cosleeping .

He received his undergraduate degree from the University of California at Berkeley in Anthropology and his Ph.D. from the University of Oregon, also in Anthropology, specializing in the evolution of human parenting systems and human development. He taught at the University of California at Berkeley for two years
More about James J. McKenna...