Start by marking “The Game Jam Survival Guide” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Game Jam Survival ...

Christer Kaitila

The Game Jam Survival Guide

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The Game Jam Survival Guide is an insider view of game jams packed full of expert advice; leading with tips and tricks on how to build a great game with just 48 hours; but clearly defining what should be avoided at all costs during Game Jam mayhem. The reader is led through each half-day phase; from the beginning of your quest in hours 1-12 to breaking through "the wall" o ...more
Published April 2nd 2012 by Packt Publishing (first published March 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Game Jam Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Game Jam Survival Guide

Chris
Aug 01, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book for preparing for almost any game project

While although this book specializes on giving advice from different experienced game jam developers, anyone looking for advice on creating games, how to manage everything that needs to be done, and how to prioritize and maximize their time on their project would find this extremely helpful.

It covers pitfalls that any game developer will run into, such as having to cut mechanics due to time, focusing on doing a few things very well vs. lots
m ko
Jul 28, 2012 m ko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was rather skeptical about this book before I started to read, however, it turned out to be interesting introduction to Game Jams and to game development in general.

I don’t plan to take part in Game Jam (at least not yet) but still, the book itself is really entertaining. I read it more in the context of game development itself rather than Game Jam survival guide, and still I could benefit from it.

What I really enjoyed were real life examples of how to approach the topic, how to prepare yourse
Paulo Fontes
Jan 06, 2014 Paulo Fontes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A little bit redundant, but very informative and easy to read book about game jams. If you plan to participate on one, you definitely should read this. I do believe that the author was trying to make all of his arguments as clear as possible, and I guess that he accomplished that this could only be achieved by repeating himself over and over again. Anyway, this book won't teach you how to code, or how to design a game, it will teach you how to behave on a weekend session of game jam.
Abbas
Dec 17, 2014 Abbas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had some reasons other than participating in a game jam when I picked this book, simply getting some new ideas on rapid prototyping of games!

This is kinda the "Tao of Game Development/Design" encouraging you to let go, and spend time on things that truly matter in a game!
Eduard
Only read first half of it in preparation to first Global Game Jam event in Riga. Never participated in one before and wanted to get some understanding of the rules and how teams usually are formed.

Considering I participated in LudumDare dozen of times this book did not tell me much new. I'd rather would say its more of LudumDare then Global Game Jam.
Michail
Sep 24, 2012 Michail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, compact resource for novice game jammers. I found the book more useful after my first jam, as it was more about relating and comparing experiences, rather than trying to absorb everything before my first jam, as I lacked a frame of reference... The book is rich in content, though some of it gets repeated a bit too often for my taste.
Dani
May 20, 2013 Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great way to get prepared for your first game jam or to get ideas on how to prepare for your fiftb game jam. I know I will walk away with a lot of tips and suggestions to get ready for my game jam this weekend. Definite read for anyone interested in going to a game jam for the first time so you know what to expect.
Ibnu Triyono
Nov 30, 2013 Ibnu Triyono rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book if you really want to finish "that" game jam

the book points out newbie mistakes (obviously the one i've made) and pro tips.
really a must read for game jam fans out there
Giorgio
Apr 28, 2014 Giorgio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I contenuti del libro si possono sintetizzare in una pagina, e tutti i riferimenti tecnici possono trovare con una ricerca su Google
Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Luth Haroon
Luth Haroon marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Jussi
Jussi rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Modiga Melo
Modiga Melo marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Eric Brown
Eric Brown rated it it was ok
May 18, 2016
Been
Been rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Anthony Thomas
Anthony Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Victor
Victor rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Gily Merkado
Gily Merkado rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Cyber Killer
Cyber Killer marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Joey
Joey added it
Feb 12, 2016
Nataly
Nataly marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Hill Lo
Hill Lo marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Reynold Erwandi
Reynold Erwandi marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Helen Allien Poe
Helen Allien Poe marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Akshay
Akshay marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Terrance Lee Smith
Terrance Lee Smith rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Abdullah Obaied
Abdullah Obaied rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015