Start by marking “Trying Again: A Guide to Pregnancy After Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Loss” as Want to Read:

Written especially for parents who have lost a child, Trying Again provides facts to help determine whether you, or your partner, are emotionally ready for another pregnancy.
Published October 25th 2000 by Taylor Trade Publishing (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Trying Again, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Rachel C
Jan 28, 2009 Rachel C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pregnancy
I found this book informative and full of statistics and data regarding miscarriage, stillbirth & infant loss. The author does a great job of explaining the causes of these types of losses, the odds of them occurring again, as well as things you can do to prevent the losses. She also delves deep into the concerns women have about conceiving again and about actually being pregnant again. Sprinkled throughout are stories of both good and bad things that have happened to real women. A helpful r ...more
Kimberly
Feb 17, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: couples who have had a misscarriage
Cady
Apr 25, 2008 Cady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful after my loss. Said all the right things and gave me hope again.
Cécile
Feb 20, 2017 Cécile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the part saying basically "it might be a good idea to wait you're really ready before trying again but you might not be able to wait much if you're on the older side" annoying. As most pregnancy and parenting books, it's also too centered on the mom IMO. But overall a good read for couples about to or already trying again after pregnancy or infant loss. It feels validating for people who've suffered miscarriages to see their losses treated along with stillbirths (deaths after 20 weeks of ...more
Jane Lebak
I reviewed Trying Again for my local infant loss support group after already having a subsequent pregnancy. This book is intended for women who have become pregnant after a loss without really understanding why their babies died the first time or what they can do about it. As such, it's much more medical than I expected, very clinical on a basic level, and without as many personal stories or tips about your emotional state than I would have expected given its length. The medical talk runs the ri ...more
Lyndsey Heng
Jun 22, 2014 Lyndsey Heng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was definitely informative and filled with information. That said, after knowing our daughter had Turner Syndrome and attending a support groups for loss, not much of it was new for me and I was able to skim through it. More valuable were the stories of others who have been through pregnancy after loss and how they felt about it. It's a well-organized book which makes it easy to find and refer to whatever in particular you may need. We are not cleared for TTC yet, but when we are, I wi ...more
Hilary
I read "Coming to Term" by Jon Cohen first and found it much more helpful. Trying again didn't have much novel information in it(I felt like I could skim through a lot), but there were still some good parts that were helpful. I would recommend Coming to Term over this book, but this one is still worth getting out of the library when you get to the point of thinking of trying again.
Katie
Jul 01, 2016 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the information was great to read and help me understand some things after my loss. Other information I should've skipped. Now I have a whole new list of things I'm paranoid about when we try to conceive again. I should've read the chapters on dealing with loss and put it down.
Meghan Wedgeworth
Tried to read this last summer, but decided to give it a year. Not a book I would recommend and not exactly leisure reading. But certainly helpful if that's what you need.
Kimberleena
Not very helpful, in my opinion. Tells you ALL the things that can go wrong, but not a whole lot on preventing or easing fears.
Anjenette
Jul 08, 2008 Anjenette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book several times, my husband and I have gone through 2 miscarriages and losing our precious Jeremiah(born at 24 weeks) Strongly encourage if you have gone through any of the above.
Heather Hanssard
Heather Hanssard rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Rosaliejones
Rosaliejones rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Chrissy DeVore
Chrissy DeVore rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2017
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Dpratima14
Dpratima14 rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2017
KLCC
KLCC rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2010
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
Rachel O'brien
Rachel O'brien rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2012
Laura rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Jeanette Curtis
Jeanette Curtis rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Stephen Warren
Stephen Warren rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2008
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2009
Sara Sohr-preston
Sara Sohr-preston rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2017
Tracy Dombeck
Tracy Dombeck rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Cassidy
Cassidy rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2011
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
  • Baby Dust
  • Birth Skills: Proven pain-management techniques for your labour and birth
  • Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies?: The Surprising Science of Pregnancy
  • Up the Duff: The Real Guide to Pregnancy
  • 75 Habits for a Happy Marriage: Marriage Advice to Recharge and Reconnect Every Day
  • 5 Simple Steps to Take Your Marriage from Good to Great
  • Count with Dora! (Dora the Explorer)
  • The Moon Seems to Change
  • Everything Conceivable: How Assisted Reproduction Is Changing Men, Women, and the World
  • Sometimes My Mommy Gets Angry
  • My New Baby
  • When Anger Hurts: Quieting the Storm Within
  • "A" Is for Atticus: Baby Names from Great Books
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books)
Ann Douglas is the author of numerous books about pregnancy and parenting including, most recently, Parenting Through the Storm: How to Handle the Highs, the Lows, and Everything in Between. She is also the creator of The Mother of All Books series:

The Mother of All Pregnancy Books: (2nd US edition, July 2012 and 2nd Canadian edition, June 2011)
The Mother of All Baby Books
The Mother of All T
More about Ann Douglas...