Start by marking “The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder” as Want to Read:
The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder

The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The perfect book to help you give your oppositional-defiant child the help he or she needs.
Published January 1st 1997 by Taylor Trade Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Defiant Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Defiant Child

This book really did change my life (and the life of my daughter). Before I read this book I thought that my daughter and I would never really get along. I feared for her safety almost all the time. I worried she would say the wrong thing to the wrong person and they would hurt her. I didn't have any idea what ODD was before I read this. However, when I read this book all I could thing was "This is my daughter!" I have used many of the techniques spelled out in this book to astonishing ef
Rebecca Grace
Lots of practical tactics for parents with very challenging children, suggestions grouped by age of the child. Riley also does a great job of explaining what's going on in the OD child's mind that makes mainstream discipline so ineffective with this population: I must defeat the adults, I am smarter than the adults, adults must treat me fairly even if I do not treat others fairly, and a displaced optimism that makes them believe they actually CAN ultimately defeat the adults in their lives and d ...more
I was given this book to read because of issues we are having with our son but personally I lost interest very quickly and began skimming through parts of the book I thought would be relevant to me.
Aaron Fullmer
This is truly an excellent resource for not just parents with "out-of-control" kids, but for parents who have a child that is less that perfect :) It's a perfect balance between why defiant children act defiant and what to do with your defiant child.
Was glad to have recognitions that the methods we've been using come suggested ... However remained frustrated that the methods we've been using & are recommended still leave us feeling like haphazard parents just bumbling through our boys violative mood swings
Teresa in Ohio
very doable and simple to implement these changes
Natalie Tos byington
This book was a good read for us in our current situation. Some of the ideas remind me of things I'm not sure I can change now but at least remind me that what I'm doing is working in the right direction.
This book is full of useful, innovative ideas for dealing with defiant children. It addresses the really tough cases, and gives solid answers for what to do beyond the usual pc answers that don't work on any but the calmest, best-behaved children in the first place. My only criticism of the book is that I wish it addressed young children more. There is some advice for what to do with preschool age children, but much of the book is focused on tweens and teens.
Jennifer Bonner
Very good, but mostly about teenage defiance and I have children 7 and under.
Ok. The book talks about ADHD/ODD being a common diagnosis - but that if that is the case that the ODD will be almost impossible to manage if the ADHD is not under control. So - most of the helps really did not apply to our situation. Should have looked at this book a little harder before I bought it.
This book is a very good read (really accessible) for the parent of a child with oppositional tendencies or for an educator. It provides really good information and lets parents know they're not alone and suggests strategies for breaking the cycle of battles with oppositional children.
May 27, 2007 Brenna rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those people who deal with difficult children
this gives a few behavioral tactics for dealing with ODD children - but when it comes down to it, you need a team of people handling the child in the same way and some real environmental changes, so the book gives good advice, but hard to follow in real, day to day life
This book gave an excellent in-depth view to Oppositional Defiant Disorder, as well as, ADHD, ADD and some other mental illnesses. It was a very educating experience reading this book!!

Excellent resource. Very clear explanation of oppositional defiant disorder & its manifestations, as well as good advice in providing the structure needed by children with this disorder.
I wish I had read this book when my kids were younger. Helpful parenting applications for discipline and consequences for all my kids - even the ones who show no symptoms at all of ODD.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
Read this many years ago, thought it had some good insights and interventions.
very helpful dealing with toxic people
This was a great book!!
Alicia marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Janice Torres
Janice Torres is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2015
Lisa Taylor Dodson
Lisa Taylor Dodson marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Karie-Anne Le Goffic
Karie-Anne Le Goffic marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Ginny marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
  • Raising Boys with ADHD: Secrets for Parenting Healthy, Happy Sons
  • Your Defiant Child: Eight Steps to Better Behavior
  • The Difficult Child
  • Giving The Love That Heals
  • Shut Up About...Your Perfect Kid!
  • Your Two-Year-Old: Terrible or Tender
  • Positive Discipline A-Z: 1001 Solutions to Everyday Parenting Problems
  • Taming the Spirited Child: Strategies for Parenting Challenging Children Without Breaking Their Spirits
  • A Fine Young Man
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
  • Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control: A Love Based Approach to Helping Children With Severe Behaviors, Volume 2
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk
  • The Gift Of ADHD: How To Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • The Key to Your Child's Heart
  • The Self-Esteem Trap: Raising Confident and Compassionate Kids in an Age of Self-Importance
  • Teen-Proofing: Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager