Start by marking “A Gentleman by Any Other Name” as Want to Read:
A Gentleman by Any Other Name

A Gentleman by Any Other Name (Romney Marsh #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  382 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Old enough to remember his beginning, Chance Becket has spent all of his thirty years trying to forget, hiding his unsavory youth behind a society marriage and a prestigious position with the War Office. But now the widower must confront his past and return to the windswept coast of Romney Marsh...where the ghosts of his childhood still linger.

Newly hired governess Julia C
Published October 15th 2012 by Harlequin (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Gentleman by Any Other Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gentleman by Any Other Name

Bronwyn Rykiert
Kasey Michaels has done it again and fabulously so with the most endearing characters you could hope to find peopling Becket House on Romney Marsh! The dialogs are brilliant, the characters are mesmerizing, the sensuality inspiring, and the chuckles are endless! I predict the unconventional Beckets of Romney Marsh are going to wheedle their way into the readers' hearts as they have certainly done in mine.

Chance Becket and Julia Carruthers are fabulous protagonists that were simply made for one a
Susan
I was reading merrily along - a dark stranger, a hired governess, Romney Marsh, smuggling, strange characters, a long coach ride, wounded men in roadway, a big mansion by the sea - when all of a sudden - boom - lost interest. I don't know. The beginning was interesting enough but once the couple got to Romney Marsh the story seemed to stall. Instead of a Dr. Syn-type of story with smuggling, I got a hero chasing his daughter's governess. I realize this is a romance but I would have liked to have ...more
ChloeLeeNH
Mar 21, 2009 ChloeLeeNH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not a keeper but I really enjoyed this start to the series. The heroine never played the damsel in distress and I love how she kept the hero on his toes... she said things that constantly had him realizing that all his tactics were NOT working. It was great. I liked the back story and also how every one of the characters was built up. I am looking forward to finding the rest of this series!
Maggie Tideswell
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was well written and the setting of Romney Marsh completely new to me. The main characters were delightfully refreshing. Not your run of the mill romance. I recommend this book to anyone who love romance with backbone.
Swhe641200
1.2015. Read from Carolyns ipad. It was a good story had some steamy scenes.
Deirdre
Chance Becket has become slightly estranged from his eccentric family. After his wife's death he decides to return to his family home to give his daughter a chance at a family life. He finds Julia Carruthers to nanny his daughter in desperation on both their parts, he finds himself very attracted to her.

The setup is a bit hokey and many of the excuses are a bit strained but it's a fun read. Some of the twists and turns took me by surprise.
Laine
Jun 06, 2012 Laine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very fast-paced romance story between chance and julia. there was little romance between the main characters but it focuses more on the issue of gangs, smugglers and the like. it was also interesting how julia was easily accepted in the family and she had knowledge of how their business goes and what danger it might bring. even if that was the case she still is thinking of alice's safety it's like she is a natural mother.
Polly
Nov 15, 2012 Polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Great Book, Great family interaction. Great introduction to a family held together by love and loyalty.
Strong main characters. Darling children. And, last but not least, a great mystery. This is a great
introduction to a new series.
Rebecca
Oct 12, 2007 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it interesting plot backdrop. Eight children not related but raised as though they are. Some remembering a different life and others not.
The mystery kept my attention as well. I won't say it wasn't solvable but it was an enjoyable ride.
Deborah Sullivan
I'm not so much for the pirate/smuggler books in general. Although this was well written.
Courtney Anderson
Jul 29, 2008 Courtney Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Very easy to get through. The characters are quarky and fun.
Keira
Oct 26, 2010 Keira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chance was my fav
Joana V.
Mar 04, 2014 Joana V. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus, harlequin
3.5
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Deon'Na Chowning
Deon'Na Chowning marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Kristen Robbins
Kristen Robbins rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Janet
Janet added it
Feb 01, 2016
Anna
Anna added it
Jan 31, 2016
Nathalie Michaud
Nathalie Michaud marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Cara French
Cara French rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Stine Petersen
Stine Petersen marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Kim Otis
Kim Otis rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Veena Fernandes
Veena Fernandes marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Lisa Gremillion
Lisa Gremillion rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
  • Masquerading Mistress
  • The Scandals of an Innocent (The Brides of Fortune, #2)
  • Wicked (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • The Rake's Inherited Courtesan
  • The Notorious Knight (King John, #2)
  • Princess Charming (Men from Special Branch, #2)
  • Where the Heart Leads (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #1)
  • Magic Man (Magic, #6)
  • Seduced by the Scoundrel
  • Scandal's Daughter (Series, #1)
  • Love Is in the Heir (Featherton Sisters, #4)
  • Winter's Heat (Nemesis, Unlimited, #1.5)
  • To Marry a Matchmaker
  • The Naked King (Naked Nobility, #7)
  • Captain Fawley's Innocent Bride (The Fawley's, #2)
  • Temptation of a Proper Governess (Cameron Sisters, #1)
  • Scandalizing The Ton
  • The Scottish Companion
Kasey Michaels is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than 100 books (she doesn't count them). Kasey has received three coveted Starred Reviews from Publishers Weekly, two for the historical romances, THE SECRETS OF THE HEART and THE BUTLER DID IT, and a third for contemporary romance LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY (that shows diversity, you see). She is a recipient of the RITA, a W ...more
More about Kasey Michaels...

Romney Marsh (7 books)
  • The Dangerous Debutante (Romney Marsh, #2)
  • Beware Of Virtuous Women (Romney Marsh, #3)
  • A Most Unsuitable Groom (Romney Marsh #4)
  • A Reckless Beauty (Romney Marsh, #5)
  • The Return Of The Prodigal (Romney Marsh #6)
  • Becket's Last Stand (Romney Marsh, #7)