Start by marking “Glad Tidings: There's Something about Christmas\Here Comes Trouble” as Want to Read:
Glad Tidings: There's Something about Christmas\Here Comes Trouble

Glad Tidings: There's Something about Christmas\Here Comes Trouble

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,252 ratings  ·  93 reviews

Christmas is a time for...fruitcake. Rookie reporter Emma Collins hates fruitcake; for that matter, she hates Christmas, too. When three Washington State women are finalists in a national fruitcake contest, the story is assigned to her. That's bad enough. It gets worse when she has to fly in a small plane (scary!) with a smart-aleck pilot named Oliver Hamilton (sexy!) and
Published December 1st 2012 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Glad Tidings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glad Tidings

Krystal
There's Something About Christmas had me reading through the night! I absolutely fell in love with this story. If it wasn't for a stressful job which requires a good amount of sleep to function on, I would have finsihed this book in one night. Loved There's Something About Christmas. Perhaps it was the fond memories it brought back of my Grandfather... he had the best fruitcake! Who know a book about fruitcake would be so fun and addicting. That is excatly how I would describe this story... fun ...more
Margaret
The first of the 2 stories, There's Something About Christmas, was a good light romance. Enjoyed seeing the relationship develop but, like others said, there seems to be something missing from this development, maybe because it's shorter than a typical book devoted to itself.

Here Comes Trouble, the second story in the book...I only finished this story because I was already halfway through and it was a quick read. I was continually hoping she would change each encounter up between Nolan and Marya
Anne Holly
Not the best collection of shorties I've ever read, but it was fair reading for fans of the genre, and made an okay Sunday diversion.

1. There's Something About Christmas (2005)

You know what I find romantic? A fellow who can respect "no". This one missed the mark, there. The way Oliver aggressively hounds her for no real reason was off-putting; it is not romantic when someone decides, after seeing a lady for five minutes, that she must fall to his superior charms, and becomes a nooky-seeking miss
Lauriek
There is nothing more annoying and distracting from a good book then typos. Maybe I am pickier then most, but books are one way of teaching writing. How else does your story get understood if the words aren't spelled right and the sentences complete and clear? In comparison to other books I've read recently, this book did well with only one in the second story. However, the goal of editors should be none. How can someone look up the word if its misspelled?

And my review unfortunately like the st
Mickey
I was looking for a good "Christmas read," and this really didn't fit the bill. I found the style of writing very similar to the Harlequin romances I devoured when I was in college, looking for a release from using my brain. Unfortunately, now I need something more stimulating.

This book is actually a double-feature, "There's Something About Christmas" and "Here Comes Trouble." Both books were about stubborn, single young women resistant to, horror of horrors, falling in love with such a dashing,
Ferne
On the front of the novel there is a line that says, "Two classic stories of laughter and love at Christmas time." How true! The novel includes two short stories of 1) "There's Something about Christmas" and 2) "Here Comes Trouble". As I was reading the first story, I was remembering all of the years growing up when my grandmother would always give us another fruitcake for Christmas. I was always intrigued as it was the only cake that came within a cardboard box. Inside the cardboard box, it was ...more
Andrea
I downloaded this from the library for some fluffy airplane reading and because I wanted something Christmasy. The first story was pretty stupid, but the second one was much better. To me, the most important element of a love story is to make the reader believe the two people actually want to and should be together. In the first story (There's Something About Christmas), I had no idea what the woman saw in the guy. He starts out by basically sexually harassing her, but she starts to like him any ...more
Andrea Guy
I absolutely love Debbie Macomber's holiday books, they are something that I look forward to every year. This is a collection of two of her previous holiday novellas, There's Something About Christmas and Here Comes Trouble.

I'm glad the opening novella was There's Something About Christmas. It was the better of the two stories. Emma Collins is assigned to do a series of articles on the 3 women from Washington State that are finalists in a fruitcake competition.

Emma and Oliver's relationship gro
Sadie
This review is for There's Something About Christmas. I have never read any of Debbie Macomber books before but here is what I was expecting when I picked it up: a light and fun read, a christmasy tale, some romance, and it wasn't going to tax my mental faculties. I really tried going into this with a very open mind. I knew it wasn't going to be a profound work of fiction but it still didn't work for me. The beginning had promise. The main character, Emma, was likable and her reporting assignmen ...more
Heidi
This is my first meeting with the popular author Debbie Macomber. She is, in fact, one of my mother's very favorite authors. I enjoyed the lightness of these two holiday books in one...There's Something About Christmas and Here Comes Trouble but (and that is a big but) I did not find them wonderful. They are both predictable and yet you want to finish anyway...well at least I did. I have been informed that the Cove Series and Blossom Street Series are where this author comes into her own. So I a ...more
Lorelei
This is the typical love story as told by Debbie Macomber. The woman or the man can't fall in love with the other for reasons that remain unclear. In the first story the pilot seems to fall in love and wants the female character to love him. Are there guys really out there that put themselve in these siutations? They end up living in the same apartment building and story develops from there.

In the 2nd book the female is rich and her dad, a newspaper big shot, gets her a job at a newspaper. A fel
Mary Lou Moench
Two novellas from one of the queens of romance. Two fabulous love stories of stubborn pride and the fear of allowing yourself to fall in love.

Something About Christmas: Emma doesn’t celebrate Christmas. She has no family, so she feels she has nothing to celebrate. She’s tired of writing obituaries, so she’s excited when her boss finally gives her a “real” story to write. A series of articles about the three ladies from Washington state who are all finalists in national contest from a magazine. T
David Caldwell
This is actually 2 stories by Debbie Macomber.There Is Something About Christmas followed by Here Comes Trouble.

There Is Something About Christmas tells the tale of a young reporter getting her first real break at writing.She is writing a series of articles about 3 finalists in a national fruitcake competiton.The only problem is her editor has made arrangements for her to get there by flying in a small airplane.Even worse, the pilot is the type of man she knows she can not trust.She finds him sm
M.
1. There's Something About Christmas

Quick and entertaining read with nice characters and some funny situations. Didn't like how the heroine got the assignment for the interview, though.

Yet, the dogs were great, the recipes made me want to try them and the voice of the author quite good.

2. Here Comes Trouble

(not read yet)
Julie C-f
I like it that the H for once is not a CEO and the h is not a seemingly timid girl with a little fire in her. Emma is a good writer who has a good understanding of human nature. I like it that she incorporates life lessons in the articles she wrote with fruitcake being a central theme. I seemed to notice Oliver's tendency to twice play at the tables and it disturbed me so. Their story is a light read and funny in some parts.

Annie and Nolan had a good thing going between the two of them even if N
Jessica N.
www.2thepointbooks.blogspot.com

For what it is - two sweet, unassuming love stories - this book excels. If you're looking for angst and star-crossed lovers who are constantly faced with obstacles before they can be together, this book is not that. Sometimes, I just was plain, ol' cheese. Just a boy and a girl falling in love - your guaranteed a happy ending.
It's definitely not fine literature, but it never pretends to be. Macomber has made a name for herself for fluffy stories - and this is a gre
Carol
Two Christmas Bon-bons that I choose to read during the season. The first story is probably best and has three very unusual fruitcake recipes included. Another way to find something decadent to eat while reading fiction is always a welcome addition in my book!
Both stories have at least one player in the romance with seriously cold feet and both dramatize the getting together then distancing scenario common to romances in film and literature germaine to our culture.
I enjoyed reading both little c
Michele

I'm a fan of Debbie Macomber's Christmas stories, they're easy, they're happy, they're kind to animals and the characters are always very likeable. You'll miss them once you have finished.

I'm trying to indulge in many Christmas stories this season. My own is going to be a lonely one, so I will live vicariously through these stories, and none are more traditional and festive than Macomber's.

There is a little novella at the end of this book, "Here COmes Trouble", which is equally as entertaining,
Bernette Beals
Glad Tidings review

Glad Tidings is a two book set written by author Debbie Macomber. Both stories are sweet and a delight to read.
Sue
Two short stories about Christmas. They will both make you smile as you read - and after you finish. Nice afternoon of reading!
Kate
This was a cute collection of 2 novellas about newspaper reporters falling in love at Christmastime. The setting for both stories was the Greater Seattle Area, which is where I grew up, so it was fun to read about places I'm very familiar with! I liked the characters in both stories as well, and laughed out loud at some of the more silly parts of the book (which, of course, was the point!). These were clean stories (though could not be classed as 'Christian'), but did contain a bit of sizzle (so ...more
Pam
Two short romantic Christmas stories that are heart warming and relatable.
Sarah Eisele
Not a fan of this one (Here Comes Trouble)
Jessica Andersen
These were nice romances, the first I had read by Debbie Macomber. The book contained two shorter stories. One involved an eager young newspaper reporter and the pilot who chauffeurs her to some far flung interviews in their native Washington state.

The second story also involved a young newspaper woman, a woman of privilege who decides, after some goading from a fellow reporter, to make it on her own.

The characters were lively and believable, and both stories were short, sweet reads. I would r
Becky
A story you fall in love with!!
Ruth Ellen
loved this stories. they were great.
Linda
This book contains two Christmas stories. The first is in the typical style of Debbie Macomber and was quite enjoyable. The second one is almost Macomber overload. Maybe it was just too much in one book or maybe this story spent a little too much time on romantic angst and the love/hate sparks that fly at the beginning of a typical romance story. In the end, it was all in all a pretty good book and something fun to read during the Christmas season.
Drea
These were a quick read and basically enjoyable. I did get a little frustrated with the female lead characters as they were sorta written as independent fiesty females, but they had major insecurities and were overtaken (not sure that's exactly the word, but will have to do for now) by the male leads. I probably dislike this trait because that's the way I had been in the past and really dislike that part of how I was. So glad I've grown.
Sandra
Well, I read one of the stories, "There's Something About Christmas." It was pretty boring, silly, and the characters weren't very well-developed. I just didn't care very much, for the same reasons other reviewers have already remarked upon. I started on the other story, but it looked like it was going to be just as uninteresting, so I stopped. Maybe I'll get back to it one day when I'm bored. (2013)
  • Mistletoe and Molly
  • Home For The Holidays
  • Christmas At Timberwoods
  • So This Is Christmas (Includes: The Protectors, #19)
  • The Christmas Wish
  • Kissing Santa Claus (Men of Hawaii #3)
  • The First Love Cookie Club (Twilight, Texas, #3)
  • A Bride By Christmas: Home For Christmas\ The Wise Virgin\ Tumbleweed Christmas
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • A Christmas Journey (Christmas Stories, #1)
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
  • Silver Bells
  • A Home For Christmas (Angel Ridge, #2)

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5) 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1)