Start by marking “Judaism for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Judaism for Dummies

Judaism for Dummies (For Dummies)

Like the many other Dummies books, Judaism for Dummies organizes a wealth of material into an easy-reading format with a warm, accessible voice. Readers can expect to find translations of common Yiddish words, the difference between Orthodox and other denominations, the meaning and rituals of high holidays, the origins of the Jewish people, and a stirring passage about the ...more
Published March 8th 2013 by For Dummies (first published April 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Judaism for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judaism for Dummies

Shelley B.
Jun 09, 2016 Shelley B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this book as research for the Flights of Love series. There was a lot of good information in it, and for the most part it was helpful, although some of the sections had more info than I needed, while others had less. I still feel like there's a lot I need to learn in order to do my characters and plot justice and hopefully not screw up, but this was a good start.
B.
Dec 30, 2009 B. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Of course I will be reading this. I love "for dummies" books and whenever there is a topic or subject that interests me, I see if there is a "for dummies" book on it. It is a great book to introduce you to the subject matter.
Sandra Levine
May 21, 2015 Sandra Levine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An eclectic book that is not just for Dummies. It has enough depth to satisfy those with basic knowledge.
Lynda
May 13, 2017 Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly comprehensive.
Lauren
Aug 15, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great refresher for me on values, traditions, and key components to my religion. With age, I am feeling more of a desire to connect with my faith and spiritual nature. Judiasm is so cool in that it is really a study of history and exploration of your OWN perspective on events that occured and shaped this world. I love that Judiasm allows freedom, discussion, and questioning of things instead of, 'this is how it is, like it or leave it.' I feel lucky to be a part of such a loving, ...more
Audra
Jul 01, 2013 Audra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Good information but, really, just too much. Too dense, too thick, trying to do too much in one book. I would give them credit for making me want to read other materials, but this just isn't very readable. I usually love the "for dummies" series as introductory texts but this one was not that great.
Deni Aria
Nov 05, 2012 Deni Aria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I found this book is so handy to understand the other faiths or culture, this book provides a clear and lucid explanation to what Jews, Judaism for myself, the dummy! Reading this book definitely has made my bond to my own belief as this book has contributed to me by looking at others in an un-judgmental way!
Thiago Meller
Oct 05, 2016 Thiago Meller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Como toda a coleção "for dummies", é um guia de fácil leitura, que vai além das informações superficiais objetivas (Judeus fazem A por causa de B) e convida o leitor a mergulhar no sentimento e nas motivações envolvidas
Thamrong
Sep 21, 2008 Thamrong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To love them is to know them. I love romancing the Jewish history. My first encounter with the Jews when I was a student in NELP. They were very warm and charming people. Three thousand years of Jewish history in a single book is quite stunning.
Rachel
Sep 18, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was one of the books I gravitated to after my "return" to Judaism. I particularly remember reading chapters while waiting for my laundry to finish during my freshman year of college. :p. I needed a refresher course on the basis of ritual and religious history, and this fit the bill.
Pia Levinsky
Lærte mig nogle forskellige ting om jødedommen og dens traditioner
Ari
Nov 03, 2010 Ari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book to learn about the jewish faith. Made it very interesting to learn and put some humor into it.
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is everything I wanted from an intro book. It had humor, helpful hints, information on many aspects of modern Judaism, and personal stories from the authors. I recommend it to anyone.
Ju
May 05, 2008 Ju rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish-reading
Great book for those curious about being Jewish or understanding the culture and "rules" around being Jewish.
Rachel
Feb 08, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I can really be a Jew if I wanted to be.
Boqueronbecky
Dec 28, 2011 Boqueronbecky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: judaism
I really enjoyed it. I had learned a new appreciation for Judaism. I highly recommend this book.
Rabbin Marc
Jan 06, 2012 Rabbin Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Etonnament précis et complet
Phyllis Neff
Nov 11, 2015 Phyllis Neff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tough act to follow

I chose it to refresh myself on what I learned at conversion class. Definitely a great buy. Also good for the totally ignorant.
J.
Aug 09, 2008 J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive introduction to Judaism.
Ian Orillo
Ian Orillo rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2017
Corine
Corine rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2013
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2014
Meryt
Meryt rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Estefania Torres
Estefania Torres rated it did not like it
May 26, 2016
Katy Koivastik
Apr 23, 2017 Katy Koivastik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great reference book written in a witty and irreverent style. (I especially love the inclusion of "The Fifth Wave" cartoons!)

One teeny critique: Barbara (sic) Streisand's name is misspelled in the book (though spelled correctly in the index).
Cissy
Cissy rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Soapykitty
Soapykitty rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2011
Helen Jackman
Helen Jackman rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
Lore
Lore rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Stanley
Stanley rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2015
  • Mormonism for Dummies
  • Islam for Dummies: A Reference for the Rest of Us!
  • Choosing a Jewish Life: A Handbook for People Converting to Judaism and for Their Family and Friends
  • Essential Judaism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs, Customs & Rituals
  • Buddhism for Dummies
  • U.S. History For Dummies
  • Being Vegetarian for Dummies
  • Catholicism for Dummies
  • Physics for Dummies
  • Forensics for Dummies
  • Canadian History for Dummies
  • World History For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback))
  • The Jewish Study Bible
  • To Be A Jew: A Guide To Jewish Observance In Contemporary Life
  • The Ancient Egyptians for Dummies
  • British History for Dummies
  • Freemasons For Dummies
  • The Torah for Dummies

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies
  • Bartending For Dummies
  • Biochemistry for Dummies
  • Bipolar Disorder for Dummies
  • Blogging for Dummies

“taught that God speaks the same today as God always did, but that humans both hear and interpret what they hear differently. They imagine” 0 likes
“clear that the people have responsibility for following divinely inspired paths and living in accord with principles of justice and compassion, in service to the One God. When they fail in this responsibility,” 0 likes