Start by marking “The Lime Pit” as Want to Read:
The Lime Pit

The Lime Pit (Harry Stoner Mystery #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Harry Stoner is a private eye in the classic tradition: A loner with a history of failed relationships with women and all-too-successful relationships with bottles of scotch, he's unable to look away from the world's corruption, and unable to avoid trying?futilely?to do something about it. His latest hopeless cause is Cindy Ann, a teenage hooker. She's not very pretty or b ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Felony & Mayhem (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Lime Pit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lime Pit

Cathy DuPont
cd: Who are your writing influences?

Valin: Well, I really don't have any except maybe Dashiell Hammett.

cd: Who did you read when you were young?

Valin: Books which were assigned to me for school projects.

cd: In school, what were your interests?

Valin: Not much of anything except getting through.

cd: Why didn't you continue the Harry Stoner series since it was so popular?

Valin: He got boring to me.

cd: You haven't written a book since the last Stoner in the series Missing which was published in 19
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Cincinnati P.I. Harry Stoner is hired by a retired vet to find Cindy Ann Evans, a troubled teenager who'd been rooming with him until very recently. His client sends Stoner over to talk to a couple suspicious neighbors, who'd befriended Cindy Ann before her sudden disappearance. He also provides Stoner with a couple of obscene Polaroids of Cindy Ann that she'd left behind. Stoner reluctantly takes the case, figuring the girl for a wayward vixen who'd gotten tired of the old man and blew town. He ...more
Jim A
Jonathan Valin was a new author for me, brought to my attention by one of my GR friends. Thank you, Cathy.

Some readers compare authors. John D. MacDonald to Robert B. Parker to Dashell Hammit, to Raymond Chandler. And I suppose that's logical as authors tend to lean on each other's style. I'm more character driven and tend think about what Spenser, McGee, or Elvis Cole might do in a given situation. I can now add Harry Stoner to that list.

I was impressed with the character created by Valin in
Rob Kitchin
Jonathan Valin is a great observational writer of both characters and places. In Harry Stone he created a multi-layered, complex and flawed character that one immediately identifies with and cares about, and the book is populated with a myriad of other memorable and well drawn characters. The pacing is good and the dialogue snappy and realistic, and the contextualisation is strong without being overbearing. I thought the first half of the book was excellent, but the story started to slip a bit i ...more
Maura
a good solid mystery, recommended by one of my co-workers. Seems to be currently out of print, but is likely to be in your local library. at least if your local library is in Ohio, since Valin (and his protagonist Harry Stoner) is a Cincinnati boy. (yup, said co-worker hails from Ohio as well -- thus his ability to recommend a mystery that my mother had never heard of. and let me tell you, that takes some doing.)

i can't say i'll be rabidly searching out the rest of this series. but then again, i
Sam Reaves
Recommended by Stuart Kaminsky for The Rap Sheet's One Book Project, a good source the next time you need something to read. Harold Stoner is a Cincinnati P.I. looking into the fate of a sixteen-year old runaway who has shown up in some nasty pictures. Even a nice staid town like Cincinnati has its seamy side... Kaminsky says Valin never got the credit he deserved for this well-written series.
Rog Harrison
I first read this about thirty years ago and I think at the time I borrowed some of his other books from the library. This features hard-boiled private eye, Harry Stoner, and is a good read but not as good as I had remembered.
Melanie
This book was published in 1980 and I thought reading it now brought a vintage feel to the book. It was a good PI/mystery book and I enjoyed reading it. I will probably put more of this series on my "to read" list.
Carolyn Chambers
Harry Stoner is a hoot and I love that it's set in Cincinnati. Hope Valin gets around to writing another one in this series, which I hear he's been promising to do.
Laurel
Review to come
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Theresak
Theresak marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Sean
Sean added it
Jun 28, 2014
Bob Morrison
Bob Morrison marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Sharon Lex
Sharon Lex marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
William Keeton
William Keeton marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pulp Fiction: Harry Stoner 20 28 Apr 17, 2013 12:13PM
Jonathan Valin is an American mystery author best known for the Harry Stoner detective series. He won the Shamus Award for best mystery novel of 1989. After writing eleven Harry Stoner novels over a 14-year period, he took a break from mystery writing to help found Fi, a magazine of music criticism. He now works as an editor and reviewer for magazines.

He is an alumnus of the University of Chicago
More about Jonathan Valin...
Final Notice Dead Letter Fire Lake The Music Lovers Missing