Start by marking “Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues” as Want to Read:
Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues

Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues (Cape Island Mystery #2)

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A mysterious fire sweeps through the commercial district of Provincetown, Massachusetts, and the police hypothesize that the blaze was set to cover up the murder of Big Al Costelano, a notorious P-town playboy, real estate tycoon, and mobster. The prime suspect is the victim's estranged half-Vietnamese, half-African American, drag queen lover, Tuki Aparecio. Michael DeCast ...more
Published May 15th 2006 by Bleak House Books (first published December 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Provincetown Follies, Bangkok Blues

Sophie
Mar 05, 2012 Sophie rated it did not like it
I've waited a long time before writing this review and I have not looked at other reviews of this title. Furthermore, I wouldn't normally give quite so much time and attention to a mystery but I think you'll understand why I have been so torn about this.

First let me tell you that the story takes place on Cape Cod, and - in flashbacks - in Thailand (and to a lesser extent Vietnam). There are two different narrative voices, one more lyrical than the other. The Thailand flashbacks are also in itali
Francis
Oct 22, 2011 Francis rated it really liked it
Provincetown Follies

Tuki Apareci is a transvestite. Her father was a soldier in Viet Nam. Her mother was left behind to survive in the red light district of Saigon. When Saigon surrenders, Tuki's mother disappears. Two of her mothers friends, both transvestite's, escape with Tuki, they become her surrogate mothers.

Tuki grows up in the sex markets of Thailand. But, her mothers raise her well, they are both Buddhist. As a result, she has her own unique principles and she is always faithful to prin
Judi
Jan 07, 2012 Judi rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I picked up this book on the Amazon Kindle sale... thought it might be interesting since it takes place in Provincetown on Cape Cod thus it would make a nice little vacation. As much time as I have spent on the Cape, I've never really spent more than a day here there in Provincetown and thus this was like an insider's visit.

Michael, a lawyer living on the Cape, but from a New Bedford fishing family, is engaged to be married in a months time. As a public defender he is assigned a transvestite cli
Stephen Dorneman
Apr 24, 2014 Stephen Dorneman rated it liked it
Sigh. Transvestites, hermaphrodites, straights, gays, criminals, DAs, and a Provincetown / Cape Cod setting, I really wanted to love, or at least thoroughly enjoy, this book. But the present-day action doesn't start until page 148, with the whole first half being back story, a character study told in flashbacks. A for effort, B for the second half, and a D minus for the first half results in a C+, at best.
Beth
Nov 15, 2011 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read. Just as I'd start to get lost and wonder what the heck I missed, the information was presented to me. Very much a murder mystery built around two time periods, the back and forth was completely necessary to build the story. I also gained insight into drag queens, something I knew little about (always like to learn something new)!
Nisey
Jan 27, 2014 Nisey rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-to-be-read
Trite, tiresome narrative replete with over-used Thai idioms and references that litter the dialogue, these are just a sampling of what weakens this book. Not good, la. (oh gawd, I never need to read "la" again.
Sally
Nov 28, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it
Great depth to the characters. Not your usual murder mystery/whodunit type at all. I'm looking forward to starting the next one of the series. Will be adding Randall Peffer to my list of must read authors.
Jack
May 30, 2014 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of a lawyer who is representing a Vietnamese drag queen accused of arson and murder. He gets drawn into an unfamiliar world. Listen to Lou Reed whilst reading it.
Maryjo
Jan 10, 2009 Maryjo rated it really liked it
Very entertaining. Murder mystery with an interesting slant. Peffer does a superb job in bringing past and present together to spin an amusing story.
Kay
May 08, 2010 Kay rated it really liked it
Good quick read
Lee Ann
Nov 23, 2011 Lee Ann marked it as to-read
Shelves: ebook, i-ll-get-to-it
Free Book
Sween
Sween marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Janet Fair
Janet Fair marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Laura Peichel
Laura Peichel marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
L. Smith
L. Smith rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Alli
Alli marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Marsha
Marsha rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2016
Zezette
Zezette rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Nospin
Nospin added it
Kajola
Kajola marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Kavitha Srinivasan
Kavitha Srinivasan marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Randall Peffer is the author of over 300 travel-lifestyle features for magazines like National Geographic, Smithsonian, Reader's Digest, Travel Holiday, Islands and Sail; he teaches writing and literature at Philips Academy in Andover.
More about Randall Peffer...

Cape Island Mystery (6 books)
  • Killing Neptune's Daughter
  • Old School Bones
  • Bangkok Dragons, Cape Cod Tears
  • Listen to the Dead
  • Screams and Whispers (Cape Islands Mystery Series #6)