Start by marking “The Self-Propelled Advantage: The Parent's Guide to Raising Independent, Motivated Kids Who Learn with Excellence” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Joanne Calderwood has been a popular magazine columnist for several years and has become a very popular speaker at home-education conferences across the country. Her self-propelled philosophy of education has transformed lives across the nation and the world. She is considered a "Mom Magnet" due to her down-to-earth persona and ability to speak to the real issues of parent ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Morgan James Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Self-Propelled Advantage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Self-Propelled Advantage

Wayne S.
Feb 08, 2013 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing
Have you heard the old proverb which says that if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day, but if you teach him how to fish you feed him for a lifetime? That same principle applies to education in general. Either we can spoon-feed kids facts which will last until they regurgitate them on a test or we can teach them how to learn on their own. In The Self-Propelled Advantage, homeschooling mother Joanne Calderwood, a popular magazine columnist and speaker at home-education conferences across ...more
Judith Middlebrooks
Must read for home school Moms!

Must read for home school Moms!

This book has given me such inspiration for our next year of home school and beyond! Especially if you are feeling overwhelmed or burnt out, you have to get this book and read it. I truly believe it will change you and your children's life for the better. Thank you, Joanne Calderwald!
Jill
Nov 26, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Calderwood, mother of 8, promotes self-learning in her home schooled children and shows how brilliant the results can be. When a mom is so successful in facilitating success for so many children, I take notice and want to know what tips she has. If she didn't post her curricula list in chapter 9, I would have wondered if she was using the Robinson Curriculum. Either way the results are the same: Loving, attentive parents who can teach children in the younger years (birth to about grade 3) and pr ...more
Elizabeth
A random selection from the library...the title caught my eye and I am glad I read this although the sucess of self propelled learning seems very much geared towards home schooling which I can certainly appreciate the benefits of for students to be able to work at their own pace until they have thoroughly grasped their subjects. This book would be good to read if you were considering home schooling.

I have seen with my own young children when you encourage them to make choices in their learning t
JoAnn
Mar 21, 2015 JoAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jbookshelf
Love this book, I really should give it four stars because there are a few things I am do not agree with but over all I really love it, and have implemented it in our home and it works well. I defiantly recommend it to all.
Allison
Jun 21, 2013 Allison rated it it was amazing
Yes! Completely changed my life! I do school at home differently with my student who is reading and there is so much less whining and so much more is getting done and it's so much better for her.

Jamie Griffith
Aug 24, 2013 Jamie Griffith rated it it was ok
Lots of "why" not a bit if practical advice. I felt it was preachy, and I kept waiting for the chapter on how to put this in practice but it never came. Disappointed!
Jane H
Jul 09, 2013 Jane H rated it really liked it
Lots of concrete information, some of which I intend to use as we continue homeschooling next year.
April
April is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2016
Shannon Brady bardsher
Shannon Brady bardsher rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Melina Flores
Melina Flores marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
D
D marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Alde16
Alde16 is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2016
Таня B.
Таня B. marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Raquel Dotson
Raquel Dotson marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Sharolyn Cordner
Sharolyn Cordner rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Payge
Payge rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Deborah Gerth
Deborah Gerth rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Terrill
Terrill rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Mitchell
Mitchell rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2016
Lisa Reich
Lisa Reich marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
S
S marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Keeline
Keeline is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2015
MistyMcK
MistyMcK rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Lara
Lara rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015