Start by marking “The Empty Kingdom (The Lion Hunters, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Empty Kingdom (The Lion Hunters, #5)

The Empty Kingdom (The Lion Hunters #5)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  31 reviews
In The Lion Hunter, Telemakos, the half-British, half-Aksumite grandson of King Arthur, was sent for his safety to stay with one of Aksum's former enemies. When Abreha, ruler of Himyar, allegedly the boy's protector, catches him in the midst of what appears to be treachery, he sentences him to a fate seemingly worse than death. Not only is Telemakos forbidden to see his be ...more
Published April 17th 2008 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about The Empty Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empty Kingdom

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
175th out of 1,359 books — 6,770 voters
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesCrown Duel by Sherwood SmithThe Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen TurnerFinnikin of the Rock by Melina MarchettaGraceling by Kristin Cashore
Recommendations for Megan Whalen Turner Fans
37th out of 102 books — 98 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
Nov 03, 2011 Elizabeth added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Chachic
Dec 20, 2013 Chachic rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Megan Whalen Turner fans
Reread this for EWein Special Ops:

EWein Special Ops

_______________

2011 Review for The Mark of Solomon duology: The Lion Hunter and The Empty Kingdom, originally posted here.

I think we've safely established that I'm a book pusher and there's nothing I enjoy promoting more than under-the-radar books. I am constantly amazed that so many excellent books don't get the attention that they deserve. I reviewed The Sunbird by Elizabeth E. Wein last year, hoping that more people would read her books but I haven't been th
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
Jan 22, 2013 Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) by: Chachic
I raced through this book in a day and evening after the cliff hanger of the previous book, The Lion Hunter. The two books are meant to be read together but they fit with the previous series of three beginning with The Winter Prince. Perhaps they could be read out of order but I would not recommend it. Upon finishing I just sat with a smile on my face when I closed the last page. So many twists and turns and such a beautiful ending that began five books ago with The Winter Prince which is a very ...more
Sherwood Smith
Here's what's said on Amazon, which is succinct and doesn't spoil anything: "in The Lion Hunter, Telemakos—the half-British, half-Aksumite (African) grandson of King Arthur—was sent for his safety to stay with one of Aksum's former enemies. When Abreha, ruler of Himyar, allegedly the boy's protector, catches him in the midst of what appears to be treachery, he sentences him to a fate seemingly worse than death. Not only is Telemakos forbidden to see his beloved younger sister, Athena, but he is ...more
Nikki
The Empty Kingdom is quite a long way away -- in time, in distance, and in the kind of story it is -- from The Winter Prince. Medraut and the Arthurian characters are much less in evidence now, and Telemakos is definitely our hero, and one I enjoy completely independently from his links to the Arthurian story, which is almost unimportant by this point in the story.

Unlike The Winter Prince and The Lion Hunter, this book is less about healing and focuses more on the political intrigue. One thing I
Courtney Schafer
Fifth in Wein's Lion Hunters series, this novel is a direct continuation of the preceding one. In disgrace and under guard in Himyar, Telemakos nevertheless attempts to continue sending secrets to his aunt, despite knowing the cost if he is found out by Himyar's ruler Abreha. The complicated relationship between Abreha and Telemakos takes center stage here, with Telemakos caught in a tangled mix of fear and betrayal and respect for the king who controls his fate. I will say I saw the resolution ...more
June
Oct 06, 2008 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adventure readers
Recommended to June by: Elissa
Continues Telemakos trials as a prisoner in another country's court. Forbidden to see his sister and commanded to reproduce the maps to invade his own country, he must use all his skills to escape.
Deirdre
OK, GOODREADS -- Why did you eat my review? Well, here we go again.

This book is fantastic -- I loved it, and I'm so glad I finished reading it. I almost didn't. I admit, there was a scene right in the middle of the story that I found so horrific that I had to stop and put the book aside. But after that, the pace picked up and the book came to such a satisfying conclusion -- I can understand those who cried at the end (I didn't but I do understand why someone might -- so beautiful!)

So...I want to
Maureen E
The Lion Hunger and The Empty Kingdom
by Elizabeth Wein

I finished the last word of The Lion Hunter, shrieked (quietly--my roommate was already in bed), and dove into The Empty Kingdom. I stayed up far too late to finish that one, but it was worth it. Telemakos has grown so much over the course of this series and with the new twists I can't wait to see what he does next.

A Sounisian said that Telemakos is kind of like reading The Queen of Attolia from Attolia's point of view. I think that's a re
Jess
This can be read as part of a larger series - The Winter Prince, A Coalition of Lions, The Sunbird, The Lion Hunter, and finally those one - but they can also be read out of order if you can't get your hands on the earlier ones. Do read The Lion Hunter and this one as a pair, because the tensions in this one won't make much sense without that background.

As with the earlier ones, the strengths are really an atmospheric sense of history and setting (rather than a slavish attention to accuracy) an
meeners
what a powerful, exquisitely crafted conclusion to the mark of solomon arc. what i find most remarkable about telemakos is not necessarily his growth into a formidable, unforgettable young man so much as the path he takes in the process, all that ferocious courage and fear and unswerving loyalty for those he loves. it is heartbreaking, how he must pay for his experiences with scars. it is also utterly believable, and i would demand nothing less than that in my heroes. i loved too the way in whic ...more
Rachel
In the middle of this book, I was apprehensive--it was not quite living up to its predecessors, and I was worried the series would end on a flat note. I shouldn't have been concerned. What an ending! Thank you, Elizabeth Wein, for inspiring Megan Whalen Turner, and for your characters, your symbolism, and your craft.
Nastya Andreyevna
Disappointed. The ending was completely unfair to Telemakos, Abreha needed to be exposed for the evil man that he was and get the crud knocked out of him. None if this "We were actually being really nice to you Telemakos, we just couldn't let you know!" stuff. But given that I tore through most of the book like a starving animal, I probably missed half the goodness and would appreciate it more on a second read. All in all, well done Elizabeth Wein, well done.

P.S. KELSEY YOU SNEAKING LIAR. Giving
Mary
A satisfying and well wrought conclusion to the series - though I am still mourning Menelik the lion! The last paragraph reminded me of the ending of "Return of the King"; I had tears in my eyes. Yes, I cry easily at stories, but Wein earns her readers' emotions. Telemakos continues to be a wonderful character. Isolated and afraid, separated from his whole family, and dealing with layers of lies, he matures a great deal in this final volume. Anyone who has read the first part of "The Mark of Sol ...more
Kelly
I can't believe it's over! What a tremendous series.
Allison
Loved this...got way more into the series and now learned about the prequel to this series so I'll have to go and start with The Winter Prince, A Coalition of Lions and then The Sunbird. At the end there were a few major twists and turns that I wasn't expecting and I couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed this series--so different than anything else I've read. Based on life in Old Ethiopia I think I read somewhere. :)
Genevieve
Went a good way toward rectifying the things I didn't like about The Lion Hunter. (Interestingly, however, my little sister felt the opposite.) Telemakos grows up and I like him better that way. I now have high hopes for book 6 to be about Telemakos going to Britain for a family reunion (no doubt I will be disappointed!). I also wonder if there is something of a (tangled, of course) Percival element going on here.
elissa
Sep 17, 2008 elissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Megan Whelan Turner fans
After reading its companion, The Lion Hunter, I drove 1/2 an hour away to get this at another county's library system. I liked it just slightly less than Lion Hunter, so possibly 4 1/2 stars, but it's still wonderful. I hope that we'll get to read more about Telemakos in the future. I will really miss him! I missed him after The Sunbird, but not nearly this much!
Claire
The eminently satisfying sequel to The Lion Hunter. I didn't adore it quite as much as the first book, but it certainly fulfilled the promise set up therein, resolved everything I wanted resolved, and packed an emotional punch. Not to mention the depth of intrigue. Reading this reminds me how much I need to go back and read the first trilogy (Winter Prince, Coalition of Lions, and Sunbird).
Laurie
Jul 03, 2008 Laurie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Megan Whalen Turner
An excellent conclusion to Telemakos's story, though I certainly wouldn't mind following his story in the future. Wein's Ethiopian setting is so richly drawn, and her characters are as compelling -- and complicated -- as her plots. Her stories are a classic example of writing that's so good it's for kids instead of adults.
Karin
Feb 20, 2008 Karin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief
Shelves: historical, teen
Mark of Solomon bk 2 - continues story of Telemakos as he is exiled then imprisoned in kingdom of Himyar, unable to contact his family in Aksum (ancient Ethiopia). More intrigue and wonderful historical detail. Hope she continues to write about these characters!
Joy
A fitting conclusion to the arc begun in in The Lion Hunter. I especially like how Wein weaves in so many little references to things in earlier books from this series, and her characterization of the main players continues to be rich and complex.
Jenny
Telemakos is held hostage in Himyar, cut off from his baby sister and under suspicion of spying. He must find ways to pass on information to save his kingdom without being caught, for death lurks. Will he ever escape?
Anna
This series continues to be pretty much perfect in every way. I can't quite figure out why the first books in the series are out of print --- did people really not notice how awesome these books are?
Elizabeth
A very satisfying conclusion to Wein's Mark of Solomon series - the plot may make you rush through to know the ending, but give it a second read to enjoy Wein's rich prose and intricate plot.
Tessa
I really enjoyed this series. It's a nice break from all the typical Arthurian fantasy. A fascinating glimpse of what the world in the centuries after the Romans might have looked like.
Brandy Painter
My review of the whole series can be found here.
Beth
Jan 12, 2010 Beth added it
Shelves: class-library
Wonderful. I look forward to any further books Elizabeth Wein writes about these characters and their world.
Cindy
Even more gripping than the first. I really enjoyed it, though I wanted to know more at the ending!
Laurie
Aug 29, 2008 Laurie added it
Shelves: wmslibrary
Sequel to The Lion Hunter, also good.
  • The Shining Company
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • The Book of the Sword (Hallowed Isle, #1)
  • The Legend of the King (The Squire's Tales, #10)
  • Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti
  • The Adventures of Tintin, Vol. 5: Land of Black Gold / Destination Moon / Explorers on the Moon
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • A Bride's Story 04
  • The Ninja Librarians: The Accidental Keyhand (The Ninja Librarians #1)
  • Mad Merlin
  • Grail Prince
  • Paris in Color
  • The Hedge of Mist (The Tales of Arthur, #3)
  • Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes
  • Camelot's Blood (The Paths to Camelot, #4)
  • Sunrise of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #3)
  • Merlin's Ring

Code Name Verity is my sixth novel.
More about Elizabeth Wein...
Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) Rose Under Fire (Code Name Verity, #2) The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters, #1) A Coalition of Lions (The Lion Hunters, #2) The Sunbird (The Lion Hunters, #3)