Start by marking “The Poems of Mao Zedong” as Want to Read:
The Poems of Mao Zedong

The Poems of Mao Zedong

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Mao Zedong, leader of the revolution and absolute chairman of the People's Republic of China, was also a calligrapher and a poet of extraordinary grace and eloquent simplicity. The poems in this beautiful edition (from the 1963 Beijing edition), translated and introduced by Willis Barnstone, are expressions of decades of struggle, the painful loss of his first wife, his ho ...more
Published June 14th 2008 by University of California Press (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Poems of Mao Zedong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poems of Mao Zedong

Tariq Alferis
.لاثورة بغير قصائد شعر هكذا قالها الرفيق ماو تسي تونغ عندما كان يقود العُمال والشعب ( الجيش الأحمر) نحو الحُرية….

.الشعاب ضيقة ، والغابات سحيقة ، والطحالب زلقة.
الى اين سنذهب اليوم ؟
رأسا الى قدم جبال فويي.
الى الجبال ، قدم الجبال.
والرايات الحمر سوف تنتشر مثل الدرج.

كان ماو تسي تونغ يكتب قصائده أثناء الحرب الأهلية، وكُل قصيدة لها معنى وقصة وبفضل المُترجم جورج جرداق فهمت بعض من قصائده، في الأغلب قصائده غير مفهومة ، لكن في النهاية ..يكفيني أن صاحب القصائد ماو تسي تونغ..
The version I found (in a second hand bookshop) is a version printed as a gift for diplomats by the Chinese government. It's a beautiful book with a facsimile of a poem in Mao's handwriting. Unfortunately the beauty of the poems themselves are lost in translation as Chinese poetry is so different from what us English speakers are used to.
Steven Peterson
This is an odd little book. It begins with a brief biography of Mao, tracing the arc of his life. But the center of it is his poetry. I am no expert on Mao's poetry, but the editor of this volume observes (Page 21): "It is unexpected, however, that [Mao:] is a major poet." And that is what makes this old work intriguing to me. There are many aspects of Mao--from revolutionary to taker of so many lives. But poet was not a role I had considered until I ran across this work decades ago.

Some quick s
"Poetry of Mao" by Mao Tse Tung, 1976. Printed in the People's Republic of China, in the year of Mao's death, this exquisitely presented book includes Chairman Mao's original poetry and calligraphy. It appears that his writing does not translate well into English, or perhaps very possibly, that Mao had little talent for writing to begin with. In 1958 on the eve of "The Great leap forward", Mao visits the remote, rural village of his youth and writes poetry of 'rice paddies and beans', connoting ...more
I love the works of Mao Tse-Tung, but his poems are very hard to follow. I'm not sure if this is attributed to the Chinese/English translation, but some of the wording is archaic and rudimentary even for early twentieth century political theorists. Still, most people can finish this book in less than thirty minutes. I do recommend it!
The collection of poems which is exactly not what I would expect. It is amazingly sensitive and subtle poetry. Not a trace of propaganda in sight. Quite beautiful.
This book is like a cliff notes to Mao and not poetry so I rated it as a poetry book! A surreal read!!
Carpe Diem
Lost in translation, I guess?
I really liked the handwritten ones though
At least it was short!
Great little collection of poetry, but I was a bit disappointed that his poetry is so generic.

There is almost no poetry talking about war or revolution or communism, which is what I was looking for. What his poetry consists of is talking about birds, mountains, lakes, rivers, rain, earth, mist, wildlife, scenery. Mix and match with lots of flowery adjectives.

Good for what it is, flowery poetry about nature, but if you are interested in that just read some Walt Whitman or something. I wouldn't b
Nathalie Legro
Decidí releer este libro porque creo que no le había prestado mucha atención. Sin importar quién fue y qué hizo los poemas de Mao son prueba de su intelecto, legitima y promueve por medio de letras su causa. Leí la versión española de Délano y el librito es fisicamente bonitoy con algunas ilustraciones interesantes.
As a poet, an imitative hack. But one would not dare say so in China.
Jan 08, 2013 Ingrid marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Mentioned in the 1Q84 murakami's book.
Mxtildx is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2015
Bomanizahir marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Mina Wael
Mina Wael marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Steen Teisen
Steen Teisen marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
☭ kirilov
☭ kirilov marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Joni Hrch
Joni Hrch marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Sinan Öner
Sinan Öner marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Charles Corn
Charles Corn marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Ethan Young
Ethan Young marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Krzysiek marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Keith added it
Jul 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mao Zedong, also transliterated as Mao Tse-tung, and commonly referred to as Chairman Mao, was a Chinese Communist revolutionary, guerrilla warfare strategist, Marxist political philosopher, and leader of the Chinese Revolution. He was the architect and founding father of the People's Republic of China (PRC) from its establishment in 1949, and held control over the nation until his death in 1976. ...more
More about Mao Tse-tung...