Start by marking “What This Awl Means: Feminist Archaeology at a Wahpeton Dakota Village” as Want to Read:
What This Awl Means: Feminist Archaeology at a Wahpeton Dakota Village

What This Awl Means: Feminist Archaeology at a Wahpeton Dakota Village

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  4 reviews
This pioneering work focuses on excavations and discoveries at Little Rapids, a 19th-century Eastern Dakota planting village near present-day Minneapolis.
Published May 15th 1993 by Minnesota Historical Society Press

To ask other readers questions about What This Awl Means, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What This Awl Means

ConnieC
I was invited to read this book by one of Jeremy's professors when I mentioned to her that I enjoy ethnography. I like ethnography because I am fascinated with the details of what makes a society unique and the history behind how a society develops. I like to delve into the factors that generate individuality.
Other than the fact that this book was boring, it was interesting to give a little bit of insight into archaeological study, and how cultural knowledge is created literally from digging int...more
Teresa
A great blend of story-telling and hard research. Instead of reducing the work she conducted at a Wahpeton Dakota Village to dry statistics, tables, and charts, Janet Spector brought the village to life reminding us that actual people once lived there. Enough detailed science to please the academic, this book is pleasantly readable to the non-academic as well.
Cheryl
This mix of archaeology and historical fiction makes for a very interesting, informative read of the anthropological study of Native Americans.
Michael
An example of why nobody respects post-processual archaeology.
Jesus
Jesus marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Belinda Davis
Belinda Davis marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Ashlee
Ashlee marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Laura Burrows
Laura Burrows marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013