Start by marking “Shark and Lobster's Amazing Undersea Adventure” as Want to Read:
Shark and Lobster's Amazing Undersea Adventure

Shark and Lobster's Amazing Undersea Adventure

A silly shark and lobster are in a panic to ward off a land-bound menace in this comical ode to the power of suggestion, the joys of teamwork, and the fun to be found in a narrow escape.

Out in the sea, Shark told his friend Lobster one day: "Lobster, I'm scared!"

What could Shark possibly be afraid of? It seems somebody's told him
about a thing that's full of teeth and stri
Published May 9th 2006 by Candlewick (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Shark and Lobster's Amazing Undersea Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shark and Lobster's Amazing Undersea Adventure

Elliot Gomm
Jan 29, 2014 Elliot Gomm rated it liked it
Shark and Lobster’s Amazing Undersea Adventure by Viviane Schwartz and coloured by Joel Stewart

This book is much loved in the year four class I am currently working in, however it wouldn’t look out of place on the bookshelf in a year one class.

The illustrations are captivating and hilarious. The moral of the story is important. And because it is set out in a comic book format the children do not realise that they are reading and learning.

The dialogue between the characters is a great example for
Katie
Mar 21, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Old Review: I can't wait to read this to my class. It is a fun story, with a lot of things to talk about. There is potential for it to be interactive, which is good. I shall rewrite this after reading the book with the kids.

New Review: I was really excited to read this to my class of about 12 first graders, and fortunately they were excited as well. Before we read the book we talked a little bit about what scares them. Vampires, Zombies, etc. Then we read the first page, and they got to guess wh
Tim Johnson
Oct 14, 2015 Tim Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-time
I used to have nightmares about little red-eyed laboratory mice trying to take over the world. They wanted to feed me to boa constrictors at the zoo. I'd wake up in a cold sweat and think, "what a ridiculous thing to be afraid of." If there only had been some sort of children's book to help me deal with my irrational but understandable fear of lab mice. . .

This is a great story about a great white shark that creates an undersea epidemic of fear because it is scared of. . . tigers. Shark, Lobster
Jill
Dec 08, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious--shark is inexplicably scared of tigers. He gets all the ocean friends to build a fortress to keep them safe...including an enormous sea monster who is not happy when he wakes up.

When shark tells lobster he is scared of tigers, I will ask the kids if shark should be scared. And why not? I love sharing books with kids where the reader knows a "secret" that the characters in the book don't and I often tell the preschoolers about it so they understand that we're in on somethi
Rachel
Mar 10, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
I originally picked this up as a possible book for my upcoming Shark DiscoveryTime for Preschoolers, but decided it probably wouldn't work well for storytime (though it was nice to find a non-scary picture book about sharks). This was a very silly story, but both my son and I rather enjoy reading it together. The whole book is longways, so it is top to bottom vs left to right pictures.

Shark is very afraid of the tiger, a stripey, teeth-filled monster. His fear makes his friend Lobster afraid an
Kelsey
May 16, 2015 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this adventure with Shark and Lobster. The orientation of this book is so fun, as are the illustrations and dialogue. A great introductory book for a graphic novel study for elementary aged students.
Tasneem  Zafer
Jan 09, 2012 Tasneem Zafer rated it really liked it
The cutely dumb shark and his lobster friend are afraid of a thing that's full of teeth and stripes, walks on his teeth and glows in the dark and eats sharks up, A TIGER!!! they decide to build a fortress to be safe and all the lobsters and even the smallest cuttlefish help out but their fortress isn't small enough so they all decide to get a huge big MONSTER from the deep sea to protect them. The monster wakes up mad and roars and frightens the hell out of them. They notice that the shark is fu ...more
Liz Todd
Love Viviane Schwarz. Always a hit. Shark and Lobster spend their day protecting themselves from tigers.. what happens when they use a sea monster to protect themselves?
Robin
Sep 07, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
A shark that is scared of tigers (!) is the somewhat unusual and silly premise of this picture book. The silliness of the idea will clue young children in on the fun right away. After telling lobster about tigers, he is scared too, so they work together to build a fortrees. Other animals join in to help, even the miniscule cuttlefish. Together they drag a sleeping monster from the deep to help guard thme (without informing the monster!) A fun format adds to the appeal: the book reads from top to ...more
Meadow
Mar 05, 2014 Meadow rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I liked the idea of the book, but the ending seemed scattered and rushed to me.
Peacegal
Sep 28, 2015 Peacegal rated it liked it
Silly, goofy story about sea creatures who face their fear.
Hannah Cobb
Jun 27, 2013 Hannah Cobb rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Shark and Lobster hear rumors of a terrifying striped land creature called a tiger. How can they protect themselves? Build a fortress, of course! With the help of a lot of fish, a piano, and some crabs, they build an underwater fort. But will that be enough to keep them safe?
A young audience will laugh at the ridiculous lengths shark and lobster will go to in order to defend themselves from an imaginary foe. There's also a great bit where the shark bursts into song, for those of you who like to
Marisa
Silly and super fun story about a shark who's afraid of tigers and his friend the lobster who helps him create a fort to protect themselves from them. Interesting things I learned about tigers from this book: they glow in the dark, they are invisible until they eat you up, they are terrifying to sharks. Very enjoyable -- probably still too scary for my sensitive 2 year old, but I will try to remember this one in a few years.
Melanie
A shark is afraid of tigers. So he and his friend Lobster gather some friends and build a stone fortress with a piano for entertainment. They still don't feel safe. So they travel to the deepest part of the ocean and find a scary looking monster who is sleeping. They drag the sleeping monster to their fortress and wrap him around the stone wall. Then the monster wakes up and roars and scares everyone away.

Stupid.
Westerville
Sep 09, 2011 Westerville rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_book
"A shark that is scared of tigers (!) is the somewhat unusual and silly premise of this picture book." - Robin, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Kate Hastings
Mar 20, 2013 Kate Hastings rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic_novels
Grades 1-3. Some people have really enjoyed this book-- but I had a hard time keeping track of what was going on. I thought it would be fun for a study of ocean animals. Different way of reading a book-- open it the tall way.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Charlie loves sharks so I thought this would be perfect. He liked the story okay. He liked the shark a lot. So thumbs up for artwork, but story just passed for him. Will have to try other shark stories.
Kristin
Jun 25, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it
this is great because the book opens sideways, and also because a shark and lobster are afraid of tigers
Hannah Givens
Dec 31, 2014 Hannah Givens rated it liked it
Not super interactive like her cat books, but a fun graphic novel for beginners.
BeastBoy
May 07, 2013 BeastBoy rated it did not like it
Not a great read-aloud and it didn't hold either of my children's attention at all.
Laurie
Apr 18, 2012 Laurie added it
Shelves: iris-baby-books
The worst thing that can happen to you
Is to be eaten by tigers
Out of the blue...
Jetta
Jun 17, 2013 Jetta rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Short, fun, silly great for bedtime. My 4 year old boy loves it!
Kate Mowery
This book was so fun to read, plus the pages are vertical.
Susan
Feb 08, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-jp
great fun, wonderful illustrations.
e(liz)abeth
Nov 20, 2008 e(liz)abeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
brilliant illustrations!!!
Dolly
Jul 12, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with kids
Fun story
Keith
Keith added it
Sep 16, 2016
Will D
Will D marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Viviane Schwarz is the author-illustrator of THERE ARE CATS IN THIS BOOK as well as SHARK AND LOBSTER'S UNDERSEA ADVENTURE. She grew up in Germany and now lives in London.
More about Viviane Schwarz...