Young, Gifted, and Black: Promoting High Achievement among African-American Students

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Young, Gifted, and Black is a unique joint effort by three leading African-American scholars to radically reframe the debates swirling around the achievement of African-American students in school.

In three separate but allied essays, Theresa Perry, Claude Steele, and Asa Hilliard place students' social identity as African-Americans at the very center of the discussion. The...more
Published February 2nd 2004 by Beacon Press (first published February 17th 2003)

Longhair
Young Gifted and Black is a collection of five essays written by three authors that focus on identifying the unique challenges African-American face in institutionalized racism embedded in our schools, what it means when they commit themselves to high achievement and how schools can change their programs to create culturally responsive classes that support all children. The purpose of this review will focus on the first four written by Theresa Perry and Claude Steele. Perry uses various narrati...more
Rae Hittinger
This book is short and excellent for inspiring thought and discussion about race and Education in the USA.
It is, though short, a rather dense book. Composed of three academic essays by academics in psychologogy & education, this book gives teachers and community members ideas for how to decrease the or to eradicate the negative impacts that racism still has on our education system and American youth.
It is an interesting read, but be prepared for some serious thinking. And while you will be...more
Jan Praxel
Feb 27, 2008 Jan Praxel rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Educators
I needed to read it for work but definitely felt it was a great read. Very important material
Linda
Why Asa Hilliard is listed here as the main author when Theresa Perry's article is 2/3 of the book is beyond me.
Anyway... this is a compilation of 3 articles by 3 different authors. The most compelling is Perry's. She cites countless examples to prove her point that African Americans have a philosophy of education that can be encapsulated as: "literacy for freedom, freedom for literacy." She gives a lot of practical ideas for how to transform the educational experiences of African American stude...more
Kat
Very intriguing writing from three different authors on how to improve black performance in education. Each essay addresses what the writer thinks is the primary problem to be resolved. If you are an educator, there is a lot of good information to be mined here--particularly from Theresa Perry's essay (which composes 2/3 of the book) on the African-American philosophy of education, and from Claude Steele's essay on stereotype threat. The book can be very dense at points, and, unfortunately, quit...more
Tama
This is the second time I have read this book and I love it. It is composed of three short essays by leading African American educators. Woven through are the concepts of literacy bringing freedom, stereotype threat, and the difference between the achievement gap and the concept of distance between achievement and excellence. This book, unlike many urban ed books, does include success stories and interventions for the educator to consider.
Lorette
Three authors' take on African American scholastic achievement. The first essay is a three-part, which includes slave' narratives and other narratives about the African American community's storied history with literacy and school achievement. This author (Perry) argues that African American community experiences schools distinct and complex ways. The second author (Steele) mostly discusses stereotype threat. The final essay (Hilliard) strongly encouraged highly effective teaching and high stand...more
Julie
Jul 09, 2013 Julie added it
Shelves: education
The book's three essays are all thought-provoking and certainly helpful for guiding/redirecting educators' thinking about teaching students of color. Yet I found the conclusion lacking in concrete-ness - "We just need better teaching! Problem solved." What is 'better' teaching? What does it look like? The authors made very clear what not-good teaching of traditionally underachieving students looks like, but less clear was what we trying-to-be-good-teachers can and should be doing.
Mark Isero
The chapter on stereotype threat, of course, is the best, but I appreciated Theresa Perry's essay, too. Perry does an excellent job arguing that education has become more complicated after the Civil Rights Movement as de jure segregation has disappeared. We have a society that wants to believe that merit matters most and that hard work will prevail. In most schools, this is not true.
Chad
A must read for any teacher working with black students. Broken up into three essays this book sheds light on the practices that have failed this demographic of students and what we can change to better serve the black students of our schools.
Adia
The collective history of Blacks in relation to education and the need to teach our Black children about the counter-narrative if we want to see positive change and achievement within the Black community again.
Jo
Dec 23, 2009 Jo is currently reading it
I'm reading the slave narratives right now where Perry describes the educational philosophy of "freedom for literacy and literacy for freedom".
Benjamin Shay
I thought Steele's section was great, Perry's uneven and Hilliard's fine but not quite as intriguing.
Jenn
The first essay was very long and rambly. The last two essays were excellent, however.
Jazz
Uplifting and inspiring. I can always go back to the shelf for reference.
Wendy
Perry chapter is an absolute "must read."
Francesca
Very interesting book
Carlye Gates
Carlye Gates marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Courtnee Benford
Courtnee Benford marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Dion
Dion marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Mar 23, 2014
Ash-bash Smith
Ash-bash Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Roberto Joseph
Roberto Joseph marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Mike D
Mike D added it
Mar 06, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Preparing for our Reading Circle 1 5 Oct 28, 2008 03:47PM
The Real Ebonics Debate: Power, Language, and the Education of African-American Children Quality Education as a Constitutional Right: Creating a Grassroots Movement to Transform Public Schools Teaching Malcolm X: Popular Culture and Literacy Freedom's Plow Can We Talk about Race?: And Other Conversations in an Era of School Resegregation (Race, Education, and Democracy Series Book)