Start by marking “The Buddha Next Door: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Stories” as Want to Read:
The Buddha Next Door: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Stories

The Buddha Next Door: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Stories

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Through personal experiences, this anthology illuminates how the practice of Nichiren Buddhism has changed people s lives for the better. These first-person narrativesrepresenting people from all across the country of various ages and ethnic backgroundsexamine the challenges of daily life associated with health, relationships, career, and aging, and the ensuing experiences ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Middleway Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Buddha Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buddha Next Door

Deborah J.
Sep 05, 2012 Deborah J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of personal accounts of Lotus Buddhists who tell how their faith changed their lives. Very inspiring! I also bought copies for friends.
Izzie Kikue
Good little testimonials of different people experiencing success by chanting Nam myoho renge kyo. Some are heartwarming, others made me smile.
Lisala
Nov 24, 2008 Lisala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stories of every day Buddhas. Inspiring.
Bassaidai88
Feb 14, 2015 Bassaidai88 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring. Ordinary people with boring lives. There are 58 short (4-6 pages) stories that fill this nearly 300 page book. After reading 4 of them, they all fit the same pattern. There is some sort of struggle, followed by despair and then they found Buddhism and everything was rainbows and unicorns. I didn't find anything insightful at all here.
Renee
Aug 16, 2009 Renee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was passed to me by a Buddhist friend. The stories are very repetitive (bottom line: chanting will bring you whatever you want). I always like hearing about people using a belief system to navigate their lives. I have issue, though, with the idea that we can change the universe- which many of the stories imply. I think that prayer/chanting/meditation help us change ourselves. I didn't finish the book.
Alex Lately
Oct 07, 2013 Alex Lately rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! As a eager new buddhist on the path to enlightenment, this book came at a perfect moment in my my life. I was faced with similar challenges to many of the stories that i've read, and i found them very uplifting and motivated me to hold firm in my new found faith. This novel will be my go to book when i need a little inspiration, Nam myoho renge kyo. :)
Orlando
easy, uplifting reading. it's a collection of essays on how people have overcome adversity in their lives through nichiren buddhist chants.
Andie Nash
Feb 13, 2012 Andie Nash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of inspirational stories of SGI members whose lives have been transformed through the faith, practice and study of Nichiren Buddhism.
Cameo Arias
Aug 26, 2009 Cameo Arias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Book!!!! Very inspiring.
Yun Da
Yun Da is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2016
victor cano
victor cano rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
G Lee
G Lee marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
Heidi Sampson
Heidi Sampson rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Prerna Kakkar
Prerna Kakkar marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Prerna Kakkar
Prerna Kakkar marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Natalie Cleverly
Natalie Cleverly rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Athenasdaughter
Athenasdaughter marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
D William
D William rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2015
Eav Ngov
Eav Ngov rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Anandarup Kar
Anandarup Kar marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Charibert
Charibert rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Alok D
Alok D marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Rachel Freelon
Rachel Freelon marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Pujita Saraf
Pujita Saraf marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2015