Start by marking “A Love Letter to the Planet” as Want to Read:
A Love Letter to the Planet

A Love Letter to the Planet

A passionate appeal for ecological mindfulness and strengthening our relationship to the Earth. Based on the best selling "The World We Have.
Published July 1st 2012 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about A Love Letter to the Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Love Letter to the Planet

Janet
Aug 26, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If we care about the health and well-being of the planet, we do so for our own sake. We want the air to be clean enough for us to breathe. We want the water to be clean enough so that we have something to drink. But we need to do more than use recycled products or donate money to environmental groups. We have to change our whole relationship with the Earth."
Bobby
Aug 29, 2014 Bobby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I am not a Buddhist and no expert on Buddhist writings, though I have read several including a few by Thich Nhat Hanh.

That said, this book strikes me as being nearly perfect. Historically, some elements & truths of Buddhism have escaped me. Since I last read Nhat Hanh I have read much on animals and nature. So, returning to him through Love Letter To The Earth everything clicks. The concept of interbeing makes total sense to me now, starting with our relationship with Mother Eart
Claudia Loureiro
Jun 25, 2015 Claudia Loureiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
An easy, all embracing concept if viewed from a higher perspective, that is, if detached from what is known as 'normal' modern life.
Thich Nhat Hanh's writing, as always, is so simple, and full of compassion and insight!
For example: "A bodhisattva is a living being who has happiness, awakening, understanding, and love.... Anyone who cultivates love and offers a lot of happiness to others is a bodhisattva. When we look at our planet, we know that the Earth is the most beautiful bodhisattva of all
Nancy McKinley
Oct 02, 2014 Nancy McKinley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was a treat. This wonderful book contains essential and beautiful truths regarding mindfulness. Practices that I have incorporated in my life so much so they are seamlessly woven and ingrained into everything I do. Much of this I have learned from this wise man in previous books and from talks he has given. His simple wisdom is there for us all. It is written in the stars, in our DNA and this fantastic book.

I recommend it. It's simple and gloriously uncomplicated. Fresh and up
Dinatalia
Dec 12, 2015 Dinatalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This wasn't just a book. It was a loving guide for us human beings to read and fall in love with our Mother Earth. It teaches us to be more mindful of our actions, which then lead to us living in the present moment, and living a happier life. Once that is accomplished we will then be able to fall in love and deepen our connection with our Mother.

This book was absolutely beautiful, and I was enthralled, and mesmerized by Hahn's writing and fluid wording. I recommend this guide, to those who have
David
Sep 22, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an ecological appeal for our species to get back in touch with our roots - the Earth, the Sun, and the universe beyond. I believe it is the second book I have read by Thich Nhat Hanh, the first bring "Peace Is Every Step". I found this book to be very simple to read, chock full of common sense, and calming. However, it didn't hold my interest as much as the previously-mentioned book. I would definitely recommend this to others, as it is a good way to remember some basic things about our ...more
dirt
Nov 12, 2013 dirt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book that reminds us to be mindful of how we interact with our environment. The first chapters are very similar to other books by Thich Nhat Hanh, but they serve as a helpful reminder of how to be in the present moment. The real meat of the book comes in the 10 Love Letters to the Earth. The first two love letters alone are worth the price of admission. Read them and then contemplate your relationship with Mother Earth.
Ed Wiggers
Aug 06, 2015 Ed Wiggers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Exceptional Booklet that is so incredibly inspiring and uplifting. When I read and reread his words, phrases, and sentences, and reflect on the depth and breath of his message (or should I say "The Universe's Message"), I expand to infinity the identity of 'Who I Am'!... My favorite little book along with Ajahn Chah's, "On Meditation"...
Christine Beevis Trickett
Oct 04, 2015 Christine Beevis Trickett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A reflection how each step, each breath on Earth is a miracle. We don't need to look for heaven. It's here all around us. We are all children of this planet. Excellent insight into the miracle of intervening, and existence. A short book, but infinitely meaningful if your heart is open to its message.
Gary Gardner
Jan 13, 2015 Gary Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little book! There is much wisdom here. At times, though, I do wonder if I am reading a bit of "Candide" by Voltaire. I recommend reading this in small sections, then letting the thoughts percolate and evolve within your thoughts.
Molly
Apr 06, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an incredible piece of work. a very gentle and loving reminder to us all why mother earth is so special. i am enriched for having read this
Austin Wright
One of his worst books. Almost starts a new religion with Mother Earth as the primary Buddha.
Karen
Feb 07, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet meditation reminders of our connection and relationship with mother earth.
Diane
Mar 24, 2014 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author has such a beautifully simplistic way of looking at things. Reading him is like being on vacation. Ahhhhh.....
Rick
Aug 05, 2016 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing and thoughtful meditation on how everything is connected as one.
Venus Smurf
Jul 09, 2013 Venus Smurf rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: firstreads
This was a very interesting read. Not my usual thing by any means, but definitely well done. It made me want to move to a commune and start wearing hemp or become a Bhuddist, and it's certainly not for everyone, but it was still interesting.
Renee
Sep 03, 2013 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful message about caring for mother earth and how we are all connected. Requires an open mind to understand the full meaning. Inspirational and meditative.

Kindle version is "A Love Letter To The Planet"
Táňa
May 22, 2014 Táňa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jiné hodnocení prostě dát nemůžu.
Kayla
Aug 26, 2013 Kayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd never normally read Buddhist literature but this caught my eye. Unfortunately I couldn't make myself finish it, there was no intro and just the assumption that we believed we are the earth etc.
John
Dec 24, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A meditation upon the nature of nature, and therefore ourselves.
Beth
Jun 21, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some beautiful, poetic passages and I can see the letters in the back being used as meditations.
elissa
Jul 08, 2013 elissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I just saw this on FB. Looks good! Soon I'll have more time to read.
Barbara Ann O'Leary
Beautiful. Thich Nhat Hanh is such an eloquent writer!
Nabila  Sekartanti
Nabila Sekartanti rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2016
Jo Craig
Jo Craig marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Sophie McQuaide
Sophie McQuaide is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2016
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Cherie Murray
Cherie Murray marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Andrea Serrano
Andrea Serrano marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
  • The Beginner's Guide to Zen Buddhism
  • Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature
  • Miracle of Love: Stories about Neem Karoli Baba
  • Finding the Still Point: A Beginner's Guide to Zen Meditation
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“Each morning when we wake up to life we see that we have a gift of twenty-four brand new hours. If” 1 likes
“Mindfulness is the continuous practice of touching deeply every moment of daily life. To be mindful is to be truly present with your body and your mind, to bring harmony to your intentions and actions, and to be in harmony with those around you.” 0 likes