Start by marking “The Songs He Didn't Write: Bob Dylan Under the Influence” as Want to Read:
The Songs He Didn't Write: Bob Dylan Under the Influence

The Songs He Didn't Write: Bob Dylan Under the Influence

Encyclopedic and exhaustive, this guide to the more than 500 songs Bob Dylan has covered, in concert or on record, details the history of each song and offers an explanation of how he came to perform them. His masterful interpretations range from the more obvious blues, country, folk, and gospel recordings to contemporary writers such as Warren Zevon and John Hiatt. In add ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Chrome Dreams (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Songs He Didn't Write, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Songs He Didn't Write

Paul Bryant
Jul 19, 2012 Paul Bryant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bob-dylan
Oh yeah we really need a book all about songs didn't write... it's another Dylan Telephone Directory... to which I confess multiple addictions ....but I like Barker's tone :

Dylan has a habit of murdering Paul Simon songs and these three performances certainly do not break the mould.

Old MacDonald Had a Farm : this children's song is about a farmer and his various animals.

I dug this book out of the loft the other day, and I still can't quite see the point of it. But I like it.

Melissa
Feb 14, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dylan, music
Not for the casual fan, but a fun resource for someone with a special interest in Dylan. The book catalogs all the non-Dylan songs that Bob has recorded and played in concert, with information about the original recording artist, discography, and specific places and dates when particular music was performed. It's a big book, filled with tasty detail to fascinate those already whistling the Man's tune.

What sparked my interest in the book was my own experience at a concert in 2002, where Dylan pla
Rodger Jacobs
Jan 23, 2009 Rodger Jacobs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review forthcoming for my February books column, The Deconstruction Zone, at Pop Matters but suffice to say that this a rich encyclopedic volume examining Dylan's musical influence through song covers he has either performed live or on various "bootleg" albums. Some of those influences, well-essayed in this exhaustively-researched collection, include African-American greats like Lead Belly, Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy Williams, and Arthur "Big Boy" Cruddup; a few unexpected influences like songwri ...more
Ronn
I am glad I own this book, and it will live nicely in my music room. But this is not a good book for casual reading; it is more of a reference book. Much information is repeated verbatim if you are reading about songs that happened to be recorded at the same session or performed at the same concert.
Elaine
This is a reference book and shouldn't be read cover to cover but I got it from the library. I wasn't be able to finish it before it was due so I'll get it another time.

Got to page 154.
Habaneroman
Habaneroman rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2009
James
James rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2011
Mike Tandrow
Mike Tandrow rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
Terry Wheeler
Terry Wheeler rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Hans Marijnissen
Hans Marijnissen rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
Mr
Mr rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Jwilday
Jwilday rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2011
Reid
Reid rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
JoHnny Haddo
JoHnny Haddo rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2008
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2008
Suzanne Moore
Suzanne Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2009
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2009
Donald
Donald marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2009
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2009
Suzie
Suzie added it
Feb 18, 2011
Moira Russell
Moira Russell marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2011
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2011
Dom Schwartz
Dom Schwartz marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2011
Dean Engel
Dean Engel marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Koraima
Koraima marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Bart
Bart added it
Nov 16, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Patrick Butler
Patrick Butler marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Pedro Fernandes
Pedro Fernandes marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
loser
loser marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2017