Start by marking “Tumblin' Dice: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Tumblin' Dice: A Mystery

Tumblin' Dice: A Mystery

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
The High, a band with a few hit songs in the late 1970s, have reunited to play the nostalgia circuit at casinos. But for bassist Barry and lead singer Cliff, this tour promises to be unforgettable and even more worthwhile than ever. In this fourth installment of the Toronto series, these two band members turn the tables on the gritty underworld of casinos, as they rob the ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Tumblin' Dice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tumblin' Dice

Dana King
Jul 14, 2013 Dana King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got about three pages into John McFetridge’s new novel, Tumblin’ Dice, and thought to myself, “I could write like this. If had the talent and the balls.” No one else reads quite like McFetridge, and no one else tells the same kinds of stories. He is as unique as anyone writing today who hasn’t gone completely off the reservation and abandoned traditional restraints such as verbs and punctuation.

Tumblin’ Dice is the story of an 80s rock band, The High, together again to play the casino circuit,
Rick Bavera
I normally finish a book once I start it. Even if it is a difficult subject, densely written, or I find it a bit boring. I like to finish what I start.

But I couldn't even finish the first chapter. I think the foul language on every page in the first chapter, along with the strange way the dialog was handled, led me to not be able to really follow, or want to follow, the story.

I will now have time to read other books that I find more personally enjoyable.

This was, by the way, a FirstReads/Goodrea
Michael
Mar 08, 2012 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

This book has one big distinction: I disliked it enough that I didn't finish it. And I finish everything I start.

I knew I was in trouble on page one when they referred to a loan shark as a "shylock".

It didn't get better from there, at least not in the first twenty pages or so.

I'm proud of myself for dropping it. I might start doing that more often! So liberating!

E.R. Yatscoff
A Canadian casino, bikers, the Philly mob, a retro band, all together in a Native casino. I like the dialogue but don't like the flow-style its written in. There's a few murders and car bombs but oddly no tension or suspense. No one is greatly worried about the power plays happening. Could have been much better.
Lulu
Feb 29, 2012 Lulu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from the first reads giveaways and I am so excited to read it. Thanks.
Alexis
Alexis added it
Jul 25, 2016
Des Tulloch
Des Tulloch rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
C.S. O’Cinneide
C.S. O’Cinneide rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
shanay
shanay marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Patty King
Patty King rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Carole Potvin
Carole Potvin rated it did not like it
Oct 25, 2014
Dennis
Dennis rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Elizabeth Lavelle
Elizabeth Lavelle marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Andre
Andre rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Miss M
Miss M marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Novel Frostii
Novel Frostii marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Barb Simmons
Barb Simmons rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2013
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Dietrich Kalteis
Dietrich Kalteis rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Paul Macdonald
Paul Macdonald rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
Jeff Pollard
Jeff Pollard rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Bob Mcnicoll
Bob Mcnicoll marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Shawn
Shawn rated it did not like it
Feb 24, 2013
Fiona
Fiona added it
Dec 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
On the back of my books it says:

John McFetridge, author of Dirty Sweet and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, became fascinated with crime when attending a murder trial at age twelve with his police officer brother. McFetridge has co-written a short story collection, Below the Line. He lives in Toronto with his wife and two sons.

More about John McFetridge...