Start by marking “Tumblin' Dice: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Tumblin' Dice: A Mystery

Tumblin' Dice: A Mystery

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The High, a band with a few hit songs in the late 1970s, have reunited to play the nostalgia circuit at casinos. But for bassist Barry and lead singer Cliff, this tour promises to be unforgettable and even more worthwhile than ever. In this fourth installment of the Toronto series, these two band members turn the tables on the gritty underworld of casinos, as they rob the ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Tumblin' Dice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tumblin' Dice

Dana King
I got about three pages into John McFetridge’s new novel, Tumblin’ Dice, and thought to myself, “I could write like this. If had the talent and the balls.” No one else reads quite like McFetridge, and no one else tells the same kinds of stories. He is as unique as anyone writing today who hasn’t gone completely off the reservation and abandoned traditional restraints such as verbs and punctuation.

Tumblin’ Dice is the story of an 80s rock band, The High, together again to play the casino circuit,
Rick Bavera
I normally finish a book once I start it. Even if it is a difficult subject, densely written, or I find it a bit boring. I like to finish what I start.

But I couldn't even finish the first chapter. I think the foul language on every page in the first chapter, along with the strange way the dialog was handled, led me to not be able to really follow, or want to follow, the story.

I will now have time to read other books that I find more personally enjoyable.

This was, by the way, a FirstReads/Goodrea
Michael

This book has one big distinction: I disliked it enough that I didn't finish it. And I finish everything I start.

I knew I was in trouble on page one when they referred to a loan shark as a "shylock".

It didn't get better from there, at least not in the first twenty pages or so.

I'm proud of myself for dropping it. I might start doing that more often! So liberating!

E.R. Yatscoff
A Canadian casino, bikers, the Philly mob, a retro band, all together in a Native casino. I like the dialogue but don't like the flow-style its written in. There's a few murders and car bombs but oddly no tension or suspense. No one is greatly worried about the power plays happening. Could have been much better.
Lulu
Feb 29, 2012 Lulu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from the first reads giveaways and I am so excited to read it. Thanks.
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Elizabeth Lavelle
Elizabeth Lavelle marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Miss M
Miss M marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Novel Frostii
Novel Frostii marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Bob Mcnicoll
Bob Mcnicoll marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Fiona
Fiona added it
Dec 29, 2012
Seana
Seana marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2012
Kellsey
Kellsey marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2012
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2012
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2012
Buried In Print
Buried In Print marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
On the back of my books it says:

John McFetridge, author of Dirty Sweet and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, became fascinated with crime when attending a murder trial at age twelve with his police officer brother. McFetridge has co-written a short story collection, Below the Line. He lives in Toronto with his wife and two sons.

More about John McFetridge...
Black Rock: An Eddie Dougherty Mystery Dirty Sweet: A Mystery Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere Terminal Damage: A Do Some Damage Collection Let It Ride