Start by marking “Secret Pizza Party” as Want to Read:
Secret Pizza Party

Secret Pizza Party

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  692 ratings  ·  126 reviews
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone about this mouth-wateringbook from the New York Times bestselling creators of Dragons Love Tacos!

How does Racoon love pizza? Oh, let him count the ways. He loves the gooey cheesy-ness, salty pepperoni-ness, sweet sweet tomato-ness, and of course the crispity crunchity crust. But someone is always chasing poor Raccoon away from his favorite food wi
Published September 3rd 2013 by Dial Books (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Pizza Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Pizza Party

Lola Goes to the Doctor by Marcia GoldmanStar of Wonder by Paige W. PendletonThe Case of the Wayward Fae ~ A Chronicle of Mister Marmee by H.L.  StephensAdventure-Pom! by Sean DrydenThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey
Amazing children animal books!
14th out of 17 books — 30 voters
Journey by Aaron BeckerThe Dark by Lemony SnicketThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltFlora and the Flamingo by Molly IdleMr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter  Brown
2014 Mock Caldecott
77th out of 78 books — 204 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelsey
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Food: Pizza!
Animals: Raccoon

Narrator wants to help out poor Raccoon and his pizza obsession. He decides to throw a secret pizza party in his honor. Now, I hope children will like the silliness of this book, because I sure did. Not only is the dialogue hilarious (well, monologue since raccoons don't talk, silly) but the illustrations are equally as hilarious. That's double the guffaws! When raccoon runs back to his house with stolen pizza in hand with raccoon-sniffing broo
Donalyn
I will admit that when I read Dragons Love Tacos, Rubin and Salmieri's debut, I thought is was too absurd and weird. For a children's book about dragons and tacos, this is saying something.

Recognizing that the book wasn't written for me, I shared it with some kids.

My granddaughter, my students--every kid I shared it with loved Dragons Love Tacos. Lesson learned.

I am reserving complete judgment on Secret Pizza Party until I share it with my students tomorrow. I predict similar results.

Margaux
I can't even begin to describe how much I love this book. It's so sweet and adorable. The little raccoon has his own individual personality. Rubin does a really good job of making his omniscient narrator sympathize with Raccoon while describing to the audience (sometimes directly) how much Raccoon loves ... PIZZA. I just got this book this week and I already have parts of it memorized. It's just so fun and whimsical.
Ashely Clark
This book was silly & I loved it. I bought it for a pregnant friend's husband. He loves pizza to the point that it is known throughout our circle of friends and I knew he would love it. It made me think of Shrek in the sense that adults would probably crack up and get the humor and kids would think it was funny too even though it is over their head a little bit. A couple of my favorite quotes from the book: 'Poor Raccoon. All he wants in life is some pizza.' And 'sorry, pizza smell gives me ...more
Redheather Book Review
The authors may have a slightly twisted sense of humor, but it's in the absurd frenzy that Secret Pizza Party becomes so much fun to read.

Raccoon loves pizza. Since pizza is for people Raccoon is constantly chased off with brooms from any opportunity he finds to enjoy a slice. This obsession with pizza causes Raccoon to fancy bathtime pizza enjoyment, pizza art installations and even secret pizza society handshakes. Some of us can relate to this obsession more than others.

Writing and illustratio
Barbara
Raccoon loves nothing more than pizza. But every time he finds a slice or two, people chase him away. The sympathetic narrator comes up with the great brainstorm to have a pizza party at his house. Just as he settles in with his own cheese slices, he smells cheese coming from outdoors. It turns out that there's a pizza party going on, and he just can't help himself. He leaps to the table, rolls all over the pizza, and takes off, several slices of pizza in tow. The watercolor, gouache, and color ...more
Alexis Labenz
Raccoon loves pizza, but it seems like every time he gets near it, he gets shooed away by a cranky old human! Secret Pizza Party by Adam Rubin is a great book, and it is also very funny. The book talks about how great pizza is and how much raccoon loves it. Raccoon decides to have his own secret pizza party so that he can finally get a slice of pizza! See if he does in this cute, funny book.

An activity that would be great for students would be to bring in a pizza, and slice it. This will help th
Kevin Doyle
May 31, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boys or girls, age 4 and up
Quirky illustrations, funny writing, a loving homage to pizza, and one silly raccoon. This awesome book has it all!

Our family loved these guys' other book "Dragons Love Tacos" so we were certain we'd dig this one too. I particularly like the unique writing style in both books where the reader becomes the narrator and seems to be the one helping the raccoon try to score his favorite thing in the world - which is pizza pie!

And when you see this line in the book:

"Ah, pizza....So beautiful you could
Natalie Garside
One of my favourite picture books coming out this fall!

Raccoon's only goal in life is to eat delicious pizza. Hunted by brooms for his clandestine crimes he concocts a plan to have a secret pizza party, because everything is more excellent when it's secret.

Regular handshake? Dull
Secret handshake? Fantastic!
Regular staircase? Tiring
Secret staircase? Awesome!

The story and illustrations and little details tucked in for extra laughs had me in stitches from beginning to end!
Candace Perry
Because making something secret makes it waaaayyyyyy better. Excellent storytime book.
Nancy
There's something scattershot about this, which is too bad because the illustrations are a ton of fun, and the narrator's voice is inviting (warm and knowing -- like an older brother's boyfriend?). But who's throwing who a party? And do we want the raccoon to escape? Are we tricking him? Am I to laugh off the idea of robbing the pizza parlor? (I don't think I can!) I do love that the raccoon loves, and so strongly.
Kristina Lareau
"Poor Raccoon. All he wants in life is some pizza."

It turns out that watercolor, gouache and colored pencil can still make you want a slice of pizza. With limited text, this book does just that! It also makes you laugh and groan, and want to share it with someone else so they can tell you how much they enjoyed this book also!
Diane
"Poor Raccoon. All he wants in life is some pizza."

It's a conspiracy between the author and the raccoon as they plan a "secret pizza party" ("When you make something secret, you make it special") so that raccoon can enjoy the meal without being attacked by brooms. They plot and they plan and even elude a suspicious pizza man and raccoon-sniffing broom bots. But then "Sweet Sassy Molasses", someone else is having a not so secret pizza party. Should he crash? Or stay at his own pizza party?

The boo
Shonna
This was a fun book to read and we really enjoyed the pictures. When we finished we decided to explore more books by this author.
Amy Musser
Pizza is all Raccoon wants in life. He loves everything about pizza, it’s “gooey chessy-ness, salty pepperoni-ness, sweet, sweet tomato-ness, and crispity, crunchity crust.” Of course, most people won’t share their pizza with Raccoon, instead they’ll chase him off with brooms. That’s why Raccoon plans a secret pizza party! This hilarious story, driven by a mischievous unseen narrator, has a twist of an ending. A great read aloud for elementary age children who will eat up the idea of a pizza lov ...more
Shanna
This was the first Rubin book we picked up from the library and my son absolutely loved it. Which prompted our making homemade pizza upon are exit from the library.

I didn't find the story exceptional, but for a five year old the secret pizza party was wonderful. We also immediately follow this with Dinosaurs love tacos and Rubin's first children's book (the title of which I cannot recall). All met with a similar response.
Libby
Dragons Love Tacos still remains my favorite book from this author and illustrator duo, but I liked Secret Pizza Party a lot, too, and so did my kids. They especially like the part where you first whisper, and then yell "Secret Pizza Party!!" Anyone who feels affection toward raccoons should also read this (those with personal vendettas against the critters may want to skip it).
Cemeread
Who doesn't go a little crazy for pizza once in a while? Not raccoon. This is a spirited, fun, story about a pizza loving and stealing raccoon who works with the narrator to get a pizza without being chased by a broom. After a narrow escape raccoon has a pizza, but can't exactly party while lying low. Then he joins a pizza party without anyone realizing... until he goes a little crazy for the pizza. The details in the illustrations help make the story fun. For example, the end pages show raccoon ...more
Amy Rae
Let's be real, everyone, I will read any kind of a book about a raccoon. It's a cute story--fantastic art!--but I felt that the end could have used just a few more words to be more satisfying. I think that coming around again to yelling about getting the raccoon off the table would have worked better for me than just screaming SECRET PIZZA PARTY.
Rachel
For the chance to eat pizza, this raccoon will try anything, even throwing a secret pizza party. For the silliest of reasons he risks brooms, capture, and raccoon-sniffing robots, but boy is it worth it.

The desire to eat a favourite food is put into new light, and no animal could better represent this than a scavenger that everyone considers a pest. The design of this creature only modifies his sneakiness, for his features have a long black mask, and at one point he even wears a disguise.

The sto
Joy
The teacher I am student teaching with picked this up from the book order so I read it to the kids the other day. They liked it.

The main character is a raccoon who loves pizza. However, he finds it hard to get it because he is always chased by brooms so he decides to have a "secret" pizza party.
Dawn
My daughter and I loved reading this book together. It is a silly book filled with her favorites: raccoons, parties, and of course pizza with all its gooey cheesy-ness, salty pepperoni-ness, sweet, sweet tomato-ness, and crispity, crunchity crust. Yum!
Kim
Three and a half stars and I'm rounding up because I love Adam Rubin. This was not as good as "Dragons Love Tacos," (and if you have not read that book, what are you waiting for??) but it was very cute and fun. Got this for Tim for Christmas 2013.
Lisa
Loved the illustrations, first line, regular vs secret parts of life and the need of the raccoon to have PIZZA.
Little bothered to share with students the "left my wallet in the car" and " when we make something secret, we make it special".
Penny Ramirez
Not as good as Dragons Love Tacos, but since I love raccoons, parties, and most of all, PIZZA, I'm giving this book four stars. I think the kids will get a kick out if it! Now if you'll excuse me, I have a secret pizza party to plan.
Mary
It has all the elements of a great read-aloud: funny, furry creature; pizza; great illustrations; talks to you not at you. But there is just something not completely clicking for me with this book, which is why I only gave it a 3.
Zack
Plot: A wily raccoon finds a way to enjoy pizza, a normally forbidden delicacy.

Thoughts: I was a child in the early nineties, so I will always have a soft spot for pizza-obsessed animals. The illustrations are charming, and the text provides an understated contrast with the action on the page. A cute and rewarding read; ties up much neater than the average animated Trix cereal commercial.

Rating: Five stars.
Miri
A raccoon is obsessed with pizza, but people chase him away with their brooms when he tries to get some, so he decides to throw a secret pizza party to finally get a slice!
Theresa
This book was hilarious! I read it to my seven year-old nephew and he enjoyed it... probably not as much as I did though. If you like raccoons and/or pizza, you'll like this book.
Gracie
This book follows a hungry raccoon who just wants some pizza! Unfortunately he lives in a town that hates raccoons, so he has to go in disguise to get some pizza.
Secret Pizza Party 1 7 Dec 02, 2013 02:29PM
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Tea Party Rules
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • Mr. Tiger Goes Wild
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Carnivores
  • Count the Monkeys
  • Warning: Do Not Open This Book!
  • That Is Not a Good Idea!
  • Ball
  • Crankee Doodle
  • Paul Meets Bernadette
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Herman and Rosie
Adam Rubin is a New York Times best-selling author of children's stories. He lives in New York City, went to school at Washington University in St. Louis and spent his "formative" years in Chicago. Adam's interests include puzzles, camping, magic tricks, improv comedy, 3D printing, fine dining and cartoons.
More about Adam Rubin...
Dragons Love Tacos Those Darn Squirrels! Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door Those Darn Squirrels Fly South Big Bad Bubble

“SECRET PIZZA PARTY!
Oops, I said that kind of loud.
Sorry, pizza smell gives me the happy screams.”
7 likes