Start by marking “Secret Pizza Party” as Want to Read:
Secret Pizza Party

Secret Pizza Party

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,291 Ratings  ·  197 Reviews
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone about this mouth-watering book from the New York Times bestselling creators of Dragons Love Tacos!

Published September 3rd 2013 by Dial Books (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Pizza Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Pizza Party

Donalyn
Jan 08, 2014 Donalyn rated it really liked it
I will admit that when I read Dragons Love Tacos, Rubin and Salmieri's debut, I thought is was too absurd and weird. For a children's book about dragons and tacos, this is saying something.

Recognizing that the book wasn't written for me, I shared it with some kids.

My granddaughter, my students--every kid I shared it with loved Dragons Love Tacos. Lesson learned.

I am reserving complete judgment on Secret Pizza Party until I share it with my students tomorrow. I predict similar results.

Kelsey
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Food: Pizza!
Animals: Raccoon

Narrator wants to help out poor Raccoon and his pizza obsession. He decides to throw a secret pizza party in his honor. Now, I hope children will like the silliness of this book, because I sure did. Not only is the dialogue hilarious (well, monologue since raccoons don't talk, silly) but the illustrations are equally as hilarious. That's double the guffaws! When raccoon runs back to his house with stolen pizza in hand with raccoon-sniffing broo
Margaux
Aug 26, 2013 Margaux rated it it was amazing
I can't even begin to describe how much I love this book. It's so sweet and adorable. The little raccoon has his own individual personality. Rubin does a really good job of making his omniscient narrator sympathize with Raccoon while describing to the audience (sometimes directly) how much Raccoon loves ... PIZZA. I just got this book this week and I already have parts of it memorized. It's just so fun and whimsical.
Katie
Mar 06, 2017 Katie rated it it was ok
I want to like this book, but it's so weird, the narrative makes zero sense, and I have a problem with the way the author encourages secrets
Redheather Book Review
Oct 23, 2013 Redheather Book Review rated it it was amazing
The authors may have a slightly twisted sense of humor, but it's in the absurd frenzy that Secret Pizza Party becomes so much fun to read.

Raccoon loves pizza. Since pizza is for people Raccoon is constantly chased off with brooms from any opportunity he finds to enjoy a slice. This obsession with pizza causes Raccoon to fancy bathtime pizza enjoyment, pizza art installations and even secret pizza society handshakes. Some of us can relate to this obsession more than others.

Writing and illustratio
Barbara
Raccoon loves nothing more than pizza. But every time he finds a slice or two, people chase him away. The sympathetic narrator comes up with the great brainstorm to have a pizza party at his house. Just as he settles in with his own cheese slices, he smells cheese coming from outdoors. It turns out that there's a pizza party going on, and he just can't help himself. He leaps to the table, rolls all over the pizza, and takes off, several slices of pizza in tow. The watercolor, gouache, and color ...more
Ashely Clark
May 20, 2014 Ashely Clark rated it really liked it
This book was silly & I loved it. I bought it for a pregnant friend's husband. He loves pizza to the point that it is known throughout our circle of friends and I knew he would love it. It made me think of Shrek in the sense that adults would probably crack up and get the humor and kids would think it was funny too even though it is over their head a little bit. A couple of my favorite quotes from the book: 'Poor Raccoon. All he wants in life is some pizza.' And 'sorry, pizza smell gives me ...more
Magpie67
Apr 04, 2015 Magpie67 rated it it was amazing
I love pizza and I got hungry reading this book.

"Ah, pizza... So beautiful, you could hang it on the wall of a museum. So convenient, you could eat it in the bathtub."

"Of course, the best part about pizza is the gooey cheesy-ness, salty pepperoni-ness, sweet, sweet tomato-ness, and crispity, curnchity crust. Yum!"

Let's have a secret party... raccoon figures out a way to get his own box but soon discovers there is a secret party of pizza and he is in pizza heaven. Until he is discovered and th
Sandy
Aug 15, 2015 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, animals
This was such a cute story, although the drawings of the people were kind of scary. The raccoon was very cute and he just loves pizza. Raccoon wants to have pizza but people tend to shoo him away with brooms, so he has the idea to have a secret pizza party. He has to be quiet about it but "pizza smells gives me the happy screams". Well, that's ok, Raccoon, I think pizza smells give lots of people happy screams. He does end up with some pizza but there are mushroom on some of the slices. Yuck. I ...more
Nancy
Sep 16, 2013 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
There's something scattershot about this, which is too bad because the illustrations are a ton of fun, and the narrator's voice is inviting (warm and knowing -- like an older brother's boyfriend?). But who's throwing who a party? And do we want the raccoon to escape? Are we tricking him? Am I to laugh off the idea of robbing the pizza parlor? (I don't think I can!) I do love that the raccoon loves, and so strongly.
Natalie Garside
Jul 25, 2013 Natalie Garside rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite picture books coming out this fall!

Raccoon's only goal in life is to eat delicious pizza. Hunted by brooms for his clandestine crimes he concocts a plan to have a secret pizza party, because everything is more excellent when it's secret.

Regular handshake? Dull
Secret handshake? Fantastic!
Regular staircase? Tiring
Secret staircase? Awesome!

The story and illustrations and little details tucked in for extra laughs had me in stitches from beginning to end!
Kristina Jean Lareau
"Poor Raccoon. All he wants in life is some pizza."

It turns out that watercolor, gouache and colored pencil can still make you want a slice of pizza. With limited text, this book does just that! It also makes you laugh and groan, and want to share it with someone else so they can tell you how much they enjoyed this book also!
Stacy Fetters
Mar 26, 2014 Stacy Fetters rated it it was amazing
Hot Diggity Dog!

Shhh its a secret. Don't wanna get chased away with a broom.

Totally cute!!
Rebecca
Sep 21, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
"Sorry, pizza smell gives me the happy screams." All the LOLs.
Shonna
Oct 09, 2013 Shonna rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read and we really enjoyed the pictures. When we finished we decided to explore more books by this author.
Ro  Long
May 06, 2015 Ro Long rated it it was amazing
"Sweet sassy-molassy" absolutely a joy. So fun, so entertaining. What a fun little raccoon ride!
Candace Perry
Sep 20, 2014 Candace Perry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, storytime
Because making something secret makes it waaaayyyyyy better. Excellent storytime book.
Viviane Elbee
Mar 07, 2017 Viviane Elbee rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a humorous book. I think I prefer Dragons Love Tacos, but Secret Pizza Party has some very funny pages - like the raccoon sniffing broom-bots.
Chelsea Kirkland
Feb 21, 2017 Chelsea Kirkland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5, food
This is one of those quirky picture books written for the slightly older audience- younger kids won't get it. A class visit? Secrets/ making friends/ parties?
Ally Lybbert
Feb 16, 2017 Ally Lybbert rated it really liked it
Shelves: eled-340
Picture book
I thought this was really cute. The illustrations are very fun
I think this would be fun to use as a writing prompt where students have to write about their favorite food. Or maybe just on a day when the school has pizza on the lunch menu.
Unfortunately, there really isn't a deeper meaning or any more significant I can see to extract from this book

Caution: The raccoon ends up stealing pizza so you might want to remind students that stealing or taking without permission is not okay.
Kevin Doyle
May 31, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: boys or girls, age 4 and up
Quirky illustrations, funny writing, a loving homage to pizza, and one silly raccoon. This awesome book has it all!

Our family loved these guys' other book "Dragons Love Tacos" so we were certain we'd dig this one too. I particularly like the unique writing style in both books where the reader becomes the narrator and seems to be the one helping the raccoon try to score his favorite thing in the world - which is pizza pie!

And when you see this line in the book:

"Ah, pizza....So beautiful you could
ElanJohnson
Feb 15, 2017 ElanJohnson rated it really liked it
Entertaining and cute illustrations.
Angie
Oct 14, 2015 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "How does Racoon love pizza? Oh, let him count the ways. He loves the gooey cheesy-ness, salty pepperoni-ness, sweet sweet tomato-ness, and of course the crispity crunchity crust. But someone is always chasing poor Raccoon away from his favorite food with a broom! What's a hungry raccoon to do? Plan an elaborate secret pizza party, of course!
But shhh! It’s a secret! In fact, you should probably just forget I told you. Nope, no secret pizza party happening here.You didn’t already tell
Miss Sarah
Feb 11, 2017 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
I have to admit this book made me laugh out loud. While it's a little long I'm still game for trying it with toddlers about a raccoon who loves pizza and is plotting to get some for a party.
Chelle Harbin
This book is about a Raccoon that loves pizza! The raccoon wants more than anything to eat some pizza, but the people simply won't allow him. He decides to plan a Secret Pizza Party, because secrets are more fun. He dresses up as a human and steals a pizza. But when he gets to his Secret Party, he realizes that it's no fun at all, because he doesn't have any friends to eat with him. He sees some humans having a not-so-secret party and joins them instead, which turns out even better! This book is ...more
Jennifer Strong
Mar 10, 2016 Jennifer Strong rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2016
Raccoon wants a pizza more than anything, but he can't get his paws on any! The narrator suggests he throw a secret pizza party- one where no one will chase him away with a broom. So he dresses up in a disguise and "purchases" a pizza. On the way back to his house he avoids people who likes brooms and narrowly escapes the "raccoon-sniffing broom bots". Unfortunately his secret pizza party isn't much like a party at all. To keep from getting caught he must chew quietly, move very little, and whis ...more
Alexis Labenz
Nov 10, 2014 Alexis Labenz rated it liked it
Raccoon loves pizza, but it seems like every time he gets near it, he gets shooed away by a cranky old human! Secret Pizza Party by Adam Rubin is a great book, and it is also very funny. The book talks about how great pizza is and how much raccoon loves it. Raccoon decides to have his own secret pizza party so that he can finally get a slice of pizza! See if he does in this cute, funny book.

An activity that would be great for students would be to bring in a pizza, and slice it. This will help th
Rachel
Dec 04, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
For the chance to eat pizza, this raccoon will try anything, even throwing a secret pizza party. For the silliest of reasons he risks brooms, capture, and raccoon-sniffing robots, but boy is it worth it.

The desire to eat a favourite food is put into new light, and no animal could better represent this than a scavenger that everyone considers a pest. The design of this creature only modifies his sneakiness, for his features have a long black mask, and at one point he even wears a disguise.

The sto
Cemeread
Oct 17, 2013 Cemeread rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, storytime
Who doesn't go a little crazy for pizza once in a while? Not raccoon. This is a spirited, fun, story about a pizza loving and stealing raccoon who works with the narrator to get a pizza without being chased by a broom. After a narrow escape raccoon has a pizza, but can't exactly party while lying low. Then he joins a pizza party without anyone realizing... until he goes a little crazy for the pizza. The details in the illustrations help make the story fun. For example, the end pages show raccoon ...more
Andrew Williams
Feb 07, 2016 Andrew Williams rated it really liked it
The team of Rubin and Salamari are one of my favorite pair publishing right now. They are are also responsible for classics like Dragons Love Tacos, Those Darn Squirrels, and Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door.

This is a quirky and quick read about a pizza loving raccoon who is trying to get some of that fantastic cheesy pie. He does everything to get it but is ultimately unsucessful. My favorite part is how these guys decided to differentiate between mundane and secret things e.g. a norm
Secret Pizza Party 2 10 Jan 23, 2017 12:59PM
  • Mr. Tiger Goes Wild
  • The Tailypo: A Ghost Story
  • Weasels
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • Warning: Do Not Open This Book!
  • Gracias/Thanks
  • Crankee Doodle
  • Herman and Rosie
  • That Is Not a Good Idea!
  • The Watermelon Seed
Adam Rubin is the New York Times best-selling author of a half dozen critically-acclaimed picture books including Those Darn Squirrels and Dragons Love Tacos. He spent ten years working as a creative director in the advertising industry before leaving his day job to write full time. Adam has a keen interest in improv comedy, camping and magic tricks. He lives in New York City.
More about Adam Rubin...

“SECRET PIZZA PARTY!
Oops, I said that kind of loud.
Sorry, pizza smell gives me the happy screams.”
7 likes