New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology

New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Here, in all their wonder and splendor, are the Mythologies of Mankind.. from pre-biblical Egypt and pre-Homeric Greece to the farthest researches of Africa, the Orient, the Pacific and the Americas.. all gathered into one mammoth volume of unprecedented scope and beauty, and illustrated with an incomparable scope and beauty, and illustrated with an incomparable assemblage...more
Published December 16th 1987 by Crescent (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology

Erik Graff
Sep 27, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: persons wanting a general intro to world mythologies
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: religion
Here's another example of my poor memory: I remember buying this book, looking through it and starting it, but I cannot recall finishing it. Indeed, I recall being very frustrated by its lack of anthropological and sociological contextualization and had thought that that had caused me to put it down, unfinished. However, a recently discovered typescript of books finished in 1973 indicates otherwise. Apparently, I did plough through the thing, though I doubt that I read it very carefully.

The buyi...more
Anoolka
It's not bad, an overview that doesn't really go very deep but tries to cover everything. So for an introduction to myths, it's probably ok.

The chapter about Slavic myth - the ones I'm most familiar with, is based on three books (or so the bibiliography shows) two of which are about Russian tales and myths and one is from 1956. It isn't quite what I hoped for. Too little about other Slavic countries than Russia, and some mentions of the errounous old mistakes - like mixing Lithuanian and Polish...more
Rhissanna Collins
Everyone should own this. You. me. Everyone.
Rob
Perhaps too scholarly for the casual reader, for those looking for tidbits of info on this or that deity, or at least some understanding of his/her/its cultural underpinnings and development, this is a must.
Ann
Sep 22, 2012 Ann marked it as reference  ·  review of another edition
I have only read the Teutonic Mythology entry and some of the Egyptian. Good learning! And it has a really good index and so so many photos of artworks and artifacts.
بهمن بهمن
albate man ba'zi bakhsh'haye in ketabo ke be farsi tarjome shodeh khoondam.dar bareye asatire aghvame bastanie va khoondanesh jalebe.
Walt
A little disappointing that the content is overwhelmingly Western.
Lili
A good Mythology reference book a good learning aid.
Jason Wright
Apr 06, 2013 Jason Wright rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: read-reference
Great for research.
Tom Alexander
Tom Alexander marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jazz
Jazz is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2014
Heather Perkins
Heather Perkins marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Nissa
Nissa marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Talei Dawson
Talei Dawson marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Joni Chism
Joni Chism marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Steve Dustcircle
Steve Dustcircle marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Adan
Adan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Omar Zaki
Omar Zaki marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Thom
Thom added it
Mar 09, 2014
Danny
Danny added it
Mar 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology Greek Mythology Mythes & mythologie (Collection in extenso) História das Mitologias II