New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology

New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Here, in all their wonder and splendor, are the Mythologies of Mankind.. from pre-biblical Egypt and pre-Homeric Greece to the farthest researches of Africa, the Orient, the Pacific and the Americas.. all gathered into one mammoth volume of unprecedented scope and beauty, and illustrated with an incomparable scope and beauty, and illustrated with an incomparable assemblage...more
Published December 16th 1987 by Crescent (first published 1959)

Erik Graff
Sep 27, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: persons wanting a general intro to world mythologies
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: religion
Here's another example of my poor memory: I remember buying this book, looking through it and starting it, but I cannot recall finishing it. Indeed, I recall being very frustrated by its lack of anthropological and sociological contextualization and had thought that that had caused me to put it down, unfinished. However, a recently discovered typescript of books finished in 1973 indicates otherwise. Apparently, I did plough through the thing, though I doubt that I read it very carefully.

The buyi...more
Anoolka
It's not bad, an overview that doesn't really go very deep but tries to cover everything. So for an introduction to myths, it's probably ok.

The chapter about Slavic myth - the ones I'm most familiar with, is based on three books (or so the bibiliography shows) two of which are about Russian tales and myths and one is from 1956. It isn't quite what I hoped for. Too little about other Slavic countries than Russia, and some mentions of the errounous old mistakes - like mixing Lithuanian and Polish...more
Rob
Perhaps too scholarly for the casual reader, for those looking for tidbits of info on this or that deity, or at least some understanding of his/her/its cultural underpinnings and development, this is a must.
Ann
Sep 22, 2012 Ann marked it as reference  ·  review of another edition
I have only read the Teutonic Mythology entry and some of the Egyptian. Good learning! And it has a really good index and so so many photos of artworks and artifacts.
بهمن بهمن
albate man ba'zi bakhsh'haye in ketabo ke be farsi tarjome shodeh khoondam.dar bareye asatire aghvame bastanie va khoondanesh jalebe.
Walt
A little disappointing that the content is overwhelmingly Western.
Lili
A good Mythology reference book a good learning aid.
Jason Wright
Apr 06, 2013 Jason Wright rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: read-reference
Great for research.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
David
David added it
Jan 26, 2014
sabrina caho
sabrina caho marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Anthropology Buff
Anthropology Buff marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Brazenartifice
Brazenartifice marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Ahmed
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Jo
Jo added it
Nov 01, 2013
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Akshay Chalana
Akshay Chalana marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Foxglove Zayuri
Foxglove Zayuri marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology Mythes & mythologie (Collection in extenso) Greek Mythology