Start by marking “They Hunger” as Want to Read:

They Hunger

In the rugged wilderness of the Appalachian Mountains, the treacherous Unegama River holds more than its share of mortal dangers. But something deadlier than any force of nature is about to be awakened. Something both unnatural and immortal.

Driven from their ancient hunting grounds, they have dwelt in their cave for hundreds of years...hiding, waiting - and hungering. Now,
Published April 1st 2007 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about They Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Hunger

Edward Lorn
Jul 06, 2012 Edward Lorn rated it it was ok
I'm a completionist. I'd read all of Scott Nicholson's Pinnacle-era books aside from this one, so I figured I'd finally cross this one off my list. What took me so long? Well, I don't like vampires. I've only ever liked two bloodsucker stories in my life: 'Salem's Lot and 30 Days of Night. Sorry, this one didn't make the list.

I've never come across a single line of text that ruined an entire book for me, but this one did:

"Lane, who had scrambled to his hands and knees beneath the creature and
Amy
Jul 08, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
This story takes place deep within the Southern Appalachian Mountains where two FBI agents are on assignment, Jim Castle ("Piss-and-Vinegar") and Derek Samford (The Rook, or "Haircut"). Their mission is to nail the 'Bama Bomber, Robert Wayne "Ace" Goodall, who is wanted for a series of deadly abortion clinic bombings, on the run with his girl Clara Bannister. The FBI agents stumble upon the 'Bama Bomber's camp setting off a trip wire explosion, which unleashes a long-buried subterranean vampire ...more
Scott Nicholson
Feb 28, 2010 Scott Nicholson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I wrote this book and it's probably not my best, though some people say it's their favorite. It's an action thriller set in the remote Appalachian wilderness--think "Deliverance with fangs" Hope you give it a try.
Judah
May 20, 2012 Judah rated it did not like it
A tree died so this book could be published.
That pisses me off.

Seriously, you don't go into a book like this looking for anything deep, any enlightenment, or for anything other than some cheesy thrills... which this definitely did NOT deliver.

What it did deliver was stock, cardboard, one-note characters. A whole bunch of misogyny. A plot/story that read like a fifth-grader was trying his hand at writing. (I say "his" because I doubt many female writers would create such pathetic female character
Maicie
Jan 15, 2011 Maicie rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2011
Great premise: a group of whitewater rafters, a couple of detectives, a megalomaniac, a pathetic co-dependent and some really nasty, gross vampire-like beasties.

It's a nice little read for lovers of horror (and who isn't) but not meaty enough to get an extra star or two. I was hoping for some psychological intrigue (along the lines of The Ruins).

Worth reading once.
Stephanie Rabig
Jan 12, 2014 Stephanie Rabig rated it it was ok
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 William M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This refreshing new take on the vampire myth blends the excitement, adventure, and isolation of white water rafting with the suspense and terror of great horror storytelling. In terms of movies, think of this as "The River Wild" meets "The Descent". Nailbiting, fast-paced, and loaded with authentic imagery that starts off strategically slow, building with an almost paranoid intensity, never letting the reader get comfortable with where the creatures will strike next. My only complaints were a co ...more
Danielle
Jan 25, 2012 Danielle rated it it was ok
Eh. This was ok, I guess. It's about big, flying, monkey/people/angel/vampires. If that doesn't tell you enough, too bad....
Amateur de Livre
Dec 12, 2007 Amateur de Livre rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Review by Tracee Gleichner

A few years ago I ran across Scott Nicholson's name, probably because it is mentioned in the same breath as horror masters John Saul, Bentley Little, and Dean Koontz. At the time I was so bogged down with other literature (among other things) that his name, unfortunately, fell to the wayside. When I was offered the opportunity to review They Hunger I jumped at the chance to sink my teeth into it...no pun intended.

Set in the Appalachian Mountains along the Unegama River
Matthew Tait
Feb 21, 2011 Matthew Tait rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to obtain an advance readers copy of Scott Nicholson's sixth book They Hunger, due for release from Pinnacle books in April of this year.

'Write what you know' the old codgers advise bourgeoning writers when they start along the literary path. Scott Nicholson certainly 'knows' the Southern Appalachian Mountains and soon his name (if it already isn't) will be part and parcel with them as King is to Maine. In They Hunger, the Unegama River and its serpentine rapids are the centre
Dark Recesses
Scott Nicholson
Pinnacle
Mass Market Paperback, $6.99 (U.S.)/$9.99 (CAN)
Review written by Nickolas Cook

In his newest novel, THEY HUNGER, Scott Nicholson takes on the vampire genre in his own inimitable style and turns it on its head. In this fast paced, action packed horror story, Nicholson presents a mixed cast of professional athletes on a corporate sponsored trek through the deep forest of the Appalachian Mountains and an insane religious abortion clinic bomber on the run from a duo
Sharon/ LFrog1386
Jan 30, 2013 Sharon/ LFrog1386 rated it it was amazing
With every Scott Nicholson book I read, I become more of a fan. Scott knows how to weave together basic human elements with the supernatural kind in order to create a story that grips you from start to finish. Right from the start, we are grabbed by the chase taking place between two FBI agents and a religious fanatic that likes to blow up abortion clinics. Throwing them all into a vast amount of wilderness where cell phones don't work adds another layer of danger. Along comes a team of white wa ...more
Margie (Bookzombie)
Apr 19, 2009 Margie (Bookzombie) rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Overall, this is a fun book. I think that Nicholson created a great cast of characters and really their emotions and reactions to situations are scarier than the creatures. Also, if you have read the word "vampire" and want to put the book down, don't. The creatures in this book, although definitely vampire, are much different than the vampires we see portrayed most often in books and movies.
The book was well paced until about the last 40 pages or so. That is where I felt it was a rush to the f
Vince Liaguno
Aug 27, 2010 Vince Liaguno rated it really liked it
In his latest novel, They Hunger, author Scott Nicholson sinks his teeth into a meaty vampire tale that’s The Descent unleashed meets The River Wild. With shades of Deliverance and Just Before Dawn to color the narrative with a gritty backwoods feel, Nicholson once again proves that he is to rural Appalachia what Bentley Little is the southwest.

Read the rest of the review here.

Pia Veleno
Dec 02, 2010 Pia Veleno rated it liked it
A bit too slow moving, and the characters a bit on the cliche side, but the monsters were worth the read - a great twist on the vampire.
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing
Once again Scott pulls from his seemingly endless bag of tricks.

With They Hunger we get a vampire novel..or is it a thriller? Crime novel? I got it..it's suspense!!! It's actually the whole lot. It really is a genre blending novel.

I admit that at first I found it a little slow going but I don't think the novel would have had the same impact if he didn't take the time develop the characters fully.

Sure this book is horror with vampire overtones to it but I found it to be more about the characters
Patrick
Mar 15, 2010 Patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
They Hunger is exactly what you'd expect it to be. Judging by the cover, name and synopsis, this book is pretty much just as predictable as you'd think. It's another people-get-attacked-by-monsters type of storyline. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but this story is like dozens before it.

The cast of characters includes an escaped criminal with his lover and a group of white-water rafters. It doesn't take long until they get attacked by these mysterious monsters which dwell deep
Kimmi Bui
Apr 19, 2014 Kimmi Bui rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. There's a wide range of characters and personalities. There's that one character that you just have to hate and there's the fearless leader. The vampires are described perfectly and frankly, they sound terrifying. There's just so much action and murder and sec packed into one tiny book. I've read this book over and over again and I still can't put it down whenever I read it.
Teawench
Nov 21, 2010 Teawench rated it it was ok
Someone today asked me what I thought of this book 'so far' since I hadn't finished it. I told them I might have to finish it to decide because up until then it was very 'meh'. I mean, it moved along at a fairly good clip but there didn't seem to be much actually going on. Now that I've finished it, I think my 'meh' stands. It was ok but nothing that knocked my socks off.
Alixendra
May 18, 2012 Alixendra rated it it was amazing
If you want to read a good horror vampire novel that's not a series or over done, but still completely different...Read this one!! I remember reading it long a go, but it still is one of my faves. I think I might read it again...
DJMikeG
Dec 06, 2011 DJMikeG rated it liked it
Fast paced, action packed horror thriller novel. It didn't blow me away, but it was definitely entertaining. First thing I've read by Nicholson and I'll definitely be checking out his other works after reading this one.
Blaise
Jul 07, 2011 Blaise rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-kindle
These vampires don't sparkle!
Beth Williams
May 09, 2012 Beth Williams rated it really liked it
Really liked the setting....western North Carolina. Enjoyed the more vicious take on vampires. They are not the pretty, glittery kind!
Angela
Mar 17, 2008 Angela rated it it was ok
starts out strong...I lost interest about half way....I hate when that happens.
Lisalilly
was ok,theending left me guessing
Kurt Criscione
Kurt Criscione rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2010
Fred
Fred rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2007
Stephen Lockwood
Stephen Lockwood rated it did not like it
May 14, 2014
Clyde Wolfe
Clyde Wolfe rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2014
M.L. Roos
M.L. Roos rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2011
  • Santa Steps Out
  • Snuff
  • The Summoning
  • Invisible Fences
  • Xombies: Apocalypticon (Xombies, #2)
  • The Narrows
  • The Long Last Call
  • Deluge: The Conqueror Worms II
  • Teratologist
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson...