Start by marking “They Hunger” as Want to Read:

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In the rugged wilderness of the Appalachian Mountains, the treacherous Unegama River holds more than its share of mortal dangers. But something deadlier than any force of nature is about to be awakened. Something both unnatural and immortal.

Driven from their ancient hunting grounds, they have dwelt in their cave for hundreds of years...hiding, waiting - and hungering. Now,
Published April 1st 2007 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about They Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Hunger

It by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingTagged by Joseph M. ChironThe Stand by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best horror books
313th out of 316 books — 306 voters
Tail of the Devil by Danielle DeVorDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne Rice'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingI Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard Matheson
Vampires As Monsters
92nd out of 97 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
This story takes place deep within the Southern Appalachian Mountains where two FBI agents are on assignment, Jim Castle ("Piss-and-Vinegar") and Derek Samford (The Rook, or "Haircut"). Their mission is to nail the 'Bama Bomber, Robert Wayne "Ace" Goodall, who is wanted for a series of deadly abortion clinic bombings, on the run with his girl Clara Bannister. The FBI agents stumble upon the 'Bama Bomber's camp setting off a trip wire explosion, which unleashes a long-buried subterranean vampire ...more
Scott Nicholson
Feb 28, 2010 Scott Nicholson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I wrote this book and it's probably not my best, though some people say it's their favorite. It's an action thriller set in the remote Appalachian wilderness--think "Deliverance with fangs" Hope you give it a try.
Judah
A tree died so this book could be published.
That pisses me off.

Seriously, you don't go into a book like this looking for anything deep, any enlightenment, or for anything other than some cheesy thrills... which this definitely did NOT deliver.

What it did deliver was stock, cardboard, one-note characters. A whole bunch of misogyny. A plot/story that read like a fifth-grader was trying his hand at writing. (I say "his" because I doubt many female writers would create such pathetic female character
Maicie
Great premise: a group of whitewater rafters, a couple of detectives, a megalomaniac, a pathetic co-dependent and some really nasty, gross vampire-like beasties.

It's a nice little read for lovers of horror (and who isn't) but not meaty enough to get an extra star or two. I was hoping for some psychological intrigue (along the lines of The Ruins).

Worth reading once.
Dark Recesses
Scott Nicholson
Pinnacle
Mass Market Paperback, $6.99 (U.S.)/$9.99 (CAN)
Review written by Nickolas Cook

In his newest novel, THEY HUNGER, Scott Nicholson takes on the vampire genre in his own inimitable style and turns it on its head. In this fast paced, action packed horror story, Nicholson presents a mixed cast of professional athletes on a corporate sponsored trek through the deep forest of the Appalachian Mountains and an insane religious abortion clinic bomber on the run from a duo
Matthew Tait
I was lucky enough to obtain an advance readers copy of Scott Nicholson's sixth book They Hunger, due for release from Pinnacle books in April of this year.

'Write what you know' the old codgers advise bourgeoning writers when they start along the literary path. Scott Nicholson certainly 'knows' the Southern Appalachian Mountains and soon his name (if it already isn't) will be part and parcel with them as King is to Maine. In They Hunger, the Unegama River and its serpentine rapids are the centre
Sharon/ LFrog1386
With every Scott Nicholson book I read, I become more of a fan. Scott knows how to weave together basic human elements with the supernatural kind in order to create a story that grips you from start to finish. Right from the start, we are grabbed by the chase taking place between two FBI agents and a religious fanatic that likes to blow up abortion clinics. Throwing them all into a vast amount of wilderness where cell phones don't work adds another layer of danger. Along comes a team of white wa ...more
Stephanie Rabig
Amateur de Livre
Review by Tracee Gleichner

A few years ago I ran across Scott Nicholson's name, probably because it is mentioned in the same breath as horror masters John Saul, Bentley Little, and Dean Koontz. At the time I was so bogged down with other literature (among other things) that his name, unfortunately, fell to the wayside. When I was offered the opportunity to review They Hunger I jumped at the chance to sink my teeth into it...no pun intended.

Set in the Appalachian Mountains along the Unegama River
Margie
Overall, this is a fun book. I think that Nicholson created a great cast of characters and really their emotions and reactions to situations are scarier than the creatures. Also, if you have read the word "vampire" and want to put the book down, don't. The creatures in this book, although definitely vampire, are much different than the vampires we see portrayed most often in books and movies.
The book was well paced until about the last 40 pages or so. That is where I felt it was a rush to the f
William M.
This refreshing new take on the vampire myth blends the excitement, adventure, and isolation of white water rafting with the suspense and terror of great horror storytelling. In terms of movies, think of this as "The River Wild" meets "The Descent". Nailbiting, fast-paced, and loaded with authentic imagery that starts off strategically slow, building with an almost paranoid intensity, never letting the reader get comfortable with where the creatures will strike next. My only complaints were a co ...more
Vince Liaguno
In his latest novel, They Hunger, author Scott Nicholson sinks his teeth into a meaty vampire tale that’s The Descent unleashed meets The River Wild. With shades of Deliverance and Just Before Dawn to color the narrative with a gritty backwoods feel, Nicholson once again proves that he is to rural Appalachia what Bentley Little is the southwest.

Read the rest of the review here.

Pia Veleno
A bit too slow moving, and the characters a bit on the cliche side, but the monsters were worth the read - a great twist on the vampire.
Danielle
Eh. This was ok, I guess. It's about big, flying, monkey/people/angel/vampires. If that doesn't tell you enough, too bad....
Matt Schiariti
Once again Scott pulls from his seemingly endless bag of tricks.

With They Hunger we get a vampire novel..or is it a thriller? Crime novel? I got it..it's suspense!!! It's actually the whole lot. It really is a genre blending novel.

I admit that at first I found it a little slow going but I don't think the novel would have had the same impact if he didn't take the time develop the characters fully.

Sure this book is horror with vampire overtones to it but I found it to be more about the characters
Patrick
They Hunger is exactly what you'd expect it to be. Judging by the cover, name and synopsis, this book is pretty much just as predictable as you'd think. It's another people-get-attacked-by-monsters type of storyline. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but this story is like dozens before it.

The cast of characters includes an escaped criminal with his lover and a group of white-water rafters. It doesn't take long until they get attacked by these mysterious monsters which dwell deep
Kimmi Bui
I absolutely love this book. There's a wide range of characters and personalities. There's that one character that you just have to hate and there's the fearless leader. The vampires are described perfectly and frankly, they sound terrifying. There's just so much action and murder and sec packed into one tiny book. I've read this book over and over again and I still can't put it down whenever I read it.
Candy
Not as good as all of his other books
Teawench
Someone today asked me what I thought of this book 'so far' since I hadn't finished it. I told them I might have to finish it to decide because up until then it was very 'meh'. I mean, it moved along at a fairly good clip but there didn't seem to be much actually going on. Now that I've finished it, I think my 'meh' stands. It was ok but nothing that knocked my socks off.
DJMikeG
Fast paced, action packed horror thriller novel. It didn't blow me away, but it was definitely entertaining. First thing I've read by Nicholson and I'll definitely be checking out his other works after reading this one.
Alixendra
If you want to read a good horror vampire novel that's not a series or over done, but still completely different...Read this one!! I remember reading it long a go, but it still is one of my faves. I think I might read it again...
Beth Williams
Really liked the setting....western North Carolina. Enjoyed the more vicious take on vampires. They are not the pretty, glittery kind!
Angela
starts out strong...I lost interest about half way....I hate when that happens.
Steven Koch
Good book, different take on Vampires...but not a good ending.
Lisalilly
was ok,theending left me guessing
Blaise
These vampires don't sparkle!
Michael Hicks
Michael Hicks marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Lindelicious
Lindelicious marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
  • Blood Red
  • Dead Souls
  • Coffin County
  • The Tower
  • The Long Last Call
  • Santa Steps Out: A Fairy Tale for Grown-Ups
  • Snow
  • Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2)
  • Cursed! (With Bonus Material!)
  • Like Death
  • Right to Life (Cemetery Dance Novella Series, #4)
  • Fear Me
  • Urban Gothic
  • Xombies: Apocalypticon (Xombies, #2)
  • A Hunger Like Fire
  • Nightmare House (Harrow House, #1)
  • The Summoning
  • Hallows Eve
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson...
The Red Church (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #1) Write Good or Die Speed Dating with the Dead Ashes Liquid Fear