Start by marking “A Season Inside: One Year in College Basketball” as Want to Read:
A Season Inside: One Year in College Basketball

A Season Inside: One Year in College Basketball

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  267 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Feinstein takes readers inside the locker rooms, the grueling practices, the late-night strategy sessions. They get a close-up look at recruiting, referees, injuries, winning, losing, and the private lives of the game's biggest stars.
Published November 30th 2011 by Villard (first published March 26th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A Season Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season Inside

Jeff
Apr 23, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a long book about a year in college basketball that took me a long time to read. My main interest was Feinstein's inside look at Steve Kerr's senior season at Arizona. Kerr talks about the assassination of his father, the effect it had on him, and provides great access to his season in Tuscon. Feinstein also has great access to a variety of other programs and officials as the college season plays out. It was interesting to read about a young Rick Barnes, Gary Williams, and others before ...more
Perry Parris
Jun 21, 2015 Perry Parris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love college basketball, this book is wonderful. John Feinstein is one of my favorite authors. GREAT BOOK!
Tom Gase
Sep 24, 2010 Tom Gase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, another great book by John Feinstein on the world of college basketball. This one really took me back to my first year I can remember watching college hoops--1988. There are great stories on just about every team in every league in this book, including some good profiles on Steve Kerr, Danny Manning, Billy King of Duke, Paul Evans of Pitt, and Rolly Massimo of Villanova just to name a few. A must-read for any college basketball or John Feinstein fan.
Oliver Bateman
A solid survey of one of the best NCAA basketball seasons in recent memory. When John Feinstein lets the participants speak for themselves, his prose soars. However, his attempts to dramatize basketball games and human interest stories (particularly the Steve Kerr story) fall flat. Feinstein would write this book over and over again (e.g., A March to Madness), albeit with diminishing returns.
David
A Season Inside: One Year In College Basketball by John Feinstein (Villard Books 1988) (796.36263). Feinstein focuses on the 1987-88 NCAA basketball season which was dominated by Kansas and Danny Manning. Feinstein includes a number of profiles of players and coaches. My rating: 7/10, finished 2006.
Alex Mitchell
Mar 22, 2011 Alex Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little dated now (2011) but never-the-less a thoroughly engaging window into college basketball. Feinstein had access to individual players, their families, and teams unlike any other journalist, and the events he recounts give insight into the NCAA Men's Basketball scene unavailable from any other author.
Chris
May 17, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that there is a reason that I haven't heard much about this Feinstein book. I still liked it well enough, but it was slow. I didn't know if I'd ever finish it. It did have a few intriguing storylines and segments. Certainly not one of Feinstein's best.
Michael
Aug 20, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
A diary book where Feinstein spends a season (mid 80s) traveling and following a number of big time college basketball people, primarily coaches. As a big Maryland fan, it was interesting to hear about Gary Williams issues with the Athletic Director at Ohio State.
Russ
Nov 30, 2010 Russ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Loved this book! The year of Steve Kerr and Danny Manning! A great read and a great insight into college basketbal.
Jim
Oct 26, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
A very interesting and entertaining look at college basketball.
Mike R
1987-1988 Kansas basketball with Danny Manning
Laurence
Laurence rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
John Kroger
John Kroger marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Scott Mulhauser
Scott Mulhauser rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Mark Coen
Mark Coen rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Clint D
Clint D rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Ken Dewey
Ken Dewey rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Billy
Billy marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Brandon Randell
Brandon Randell marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Ulrick Humes
Ulrick Humes rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Nathan Holm
Nathan Holm rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Adam Jarvis
Adam Jarvis marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Tim G. Olson
Tim G. Olson rated it it was amazing
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Gary
  • Life on the Run
  • The City Game: Basketball from the Garden to the Playgrounds
  • Black Planet: Facing Race During an NBA Season
  • Loose Balls: The Short, Wild Life of the American Basketball Association
  • Eagle Blue: A Team, a Tribe, and a High School Basketball Season in Arctic Alaska
  • The Amateurs
  • The Umpire Strikes Back
  • Underbelly Hoops: Adventures in the CBA - A.K.A. The Crazy Basketball Association
  • Full Court Press
  • Over Time: My Life as a Sportswriter
  • The Assist: Hoops, Hope, and the Game of Their Lives
  • Hey, Wait a Minute
  • The Real All Americans: The Team That Changed a Game, a People, a Nation
  • Big Show: Inside ESPN's Sportscenter
John Feinstein is one of the nation’s most successful and prolific sports authors who has written 24 books to date. His most recent work Are You Kidding Me? , written with Rocco Mediate, was released on May 18, 2009, and is presently on the shelf at bookstores everywhere. In addition, he is an award-winning columnist and regular contributor in both radio and television.

John Feinstein is a 1977 gr
More about John Feinstein...