Start by marking “The Old Dog” as Want to Read:

2.92 of 5 stars 2.92  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Once there was a dog who loved to run and jump and play. She was the best friend Ben -- or any little boy -- could have. But as Ben got older, so did his dog. One morning, Ben's old dog didn't open her eyes or wag her tail. She didn't even move.

New illustrations by James Ransome.
Published August 9th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Old Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Old Dog

Marissa Garcia
Wow. A tender, warmly illustrated and authentic experience with grief over the loss of a pet takes a dramatic turn when a brand new puppy shows up after less than a day of old dog being dead. Totally insensitive and upsetting. Just when Ben really starts to grapple with his grief, Zolotow denies readers this vital lesson and image of growth. Disappointing.
Laurie
It skips to the new pet way too fast.
CH_Emily Scholnik
Recommended in "Children's Books in Children's Hands."
Grade Range K-2
This is a heatbreaking tale of a young boy named Ben who goes to pet his dog one morning and she doesn't wake up for she is old and has passed away. This young boy goes through a sad and confusing day only to come home to realize that his dog really isn't there anymore. The story goes on to portray all of the things Ben and his dog used to do with each other, only Ben is alone and his dog isn't there. Ben just doesn't understan
Megan Marvel
What an abrupt ending. It doesn't do justice to the subjects of death and grieving.
Briana Deleon
This book conveys the hardship that a young boy endures as the death of his dog becomes a reality to him. I find this book disheartening, however, I also believe it offers children a way to relate to this experience if they have ever lost a pet. Despite the less peppy tone of the story, the author also offers hope to children after the loss of a furry friend. The brilliant oil-painted illustrations compliment the mood of the story, while making it a great read aloud for kids.
Andrea Salcedo
By: Charlotte Zolotow
Recommended: Preschool- Kindergarten

The Old Dog was about a boy named ben who one morning went to go pet his old dog. His old dog didn't respond to the touch. Worried, he called for his father. His father explained that his dog had passed away. Throughout the rest of the story Ben reminisces about his old dog.

As a huge dog/animal lover, this book was very sad to me. One thing I didn't like about this story was how quickly his dog got replaced.
Megan
PB 34: This book is really sad. I think you can really relate to it if you have had a dog pass away. I wish the ending was a little bit different though. I really enjoyed the pictures in this book. I loved that I could see the brush strokes and the detail in each picture, but it also made me that much more sad when seeing a close up of the dog!
Allison
This is a very sad story about a boy who loses his best friend that is a dog. There are things that the little boy does every day that reminds him about the dog and he starts to miss her more. THis is a good story to teach students about grief and loss and that things will get better with time.
Elizabeth
Not one of our favorites. Probably really great if you've just had a dog die in your family. But, as a bedtime story, this just led to Ethan crying "Inca not dead" and "I miss Inca!"
Lori
Beautiful illustrations. Heartbreaking beginning. I felt like the quick introduction to a new puppy was too quick and tidy of an ending.
Lucia
Sep 27, 2008 Lucia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, children and teachers dealing with death of a pet
Lovely illustrations and simple text to help someone deal with the death of their pet. Very sweet.
Rochelle Pryor
Rochelle Pryor marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Amy Huang
Amy Huang marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Terra
Terra added it
Mar 21, 2013
Daniela Hielc
Daniela Hielc marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Charlotte Zolotow (born Charlotte Gertrude Shapiro) was an American author, poet, editor, and publisher of many books for children.
She was published by more than 20 different houses (many of which she has outlasted). She was an editor, and later publisher, at Harper & Row, which was called Harper & Brothers when she began to work there and is now known as HarperCollins.
Among the many write
More about Charlotte Zolotow...
Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present William's Doll The Storm Book When the Wind Stops Big Sister and Little Sister