Start by marking “Home Fires Burning: A Novel” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Home Fires Burning: A Novel
Published July 1st 1998 by Back Bay Books (first published January 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Home Fires Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Fires Burning

Canavan
Apr 17, 2015 Canavan rated it liked it
Jerry Landry
Feb 04, 2010 Jerry Landry rated it it was amazing
One of the best reads I've had in a long time. The characters are very vibrant, Bob Inman makes the town come alive, and with each page, I became more enthralled. I liked this book so much that I went and bought a copy of my own and intend to read it again, something that I very rarely do. I cannot recommend it enough for someone who wants a good-hearted yet thoughtful read.
Kitty Tomlinson
Dec 31, 2008 Kitty Tomlinson rated it really liked it
Story of Tibbetts family in World War II South. Jake, a newspaperman, observes his family and neighbors in thie tale of Southern rural life.
Kendra
Oct 01, 2013 Kendra rated it really liked it
" 'Ah' Jake Tibbetts thought, 'we are all pilgrim souls here, all ragged wayfarers, stopping to huddle against the cold and dark around what we call our home fires. Does a man indeed learn anything? Only that his home is his own heart. And there he must abide.' "

Wow. After reading all the reviews, and having read Robert Inman's "Old Dogs and Children", I thought I knew what to expect. I was disappointed in this book at first. The story seemed to drag in the beginning; lots of characters, a litt
Cheryl Redman
Jan 03, 2016 Cheryl Redman rated it really liked it
Historical fiction, but more about human nature and the challenges of being part of a family and community than about WWII. I enjoyed the story.
Debbie
Jul 12, 2014 Debbie added it
I enjoyed reading this book. I found the story compelling, genuine and humorous.
Kelly Norton
Feb 01, 2010 Kelly Norton rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite all-time books. The first "southern" book I read outside of a literature class. My grandmother had a signed hardback (not sure from where) and passed it along to me when I was home one weekend on a visit from Delaware. I was so hungry for the people: the voices, the humor, feeling of community.
Mary Baker
Jul 11, 2012 Mary Baker rated it it was amazing
Home Fires Burning is my favorite book by Robert Inman. I loved reading about the interactions of the irascible grandfather, who was a character of a character!! and his family. I laughed out loud at some of the scenes that Inman created.
Candy
Jul 02, 2007 Candy rated it liked it
Interesting book. I spent years watching Bob Inman as a newscaster in Charlotte.

Caroline
Jun 08, 2009 Caroline rated it liked it
Newspaperman, WW2, historical...nice beach read
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Dody Phillips
Dody Phillips marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Griffin Rice
Griffin Rice rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Victoria Dawson
Victoria Dawson marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
James
James rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Barton Smock
Barton Smock is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Kimberly Burt
Kimberly Burt marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Sherion
Sherion marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Robert Inman’s new novel, The Governor’s Lady, is available now from John F. Blair Publishers. Drawing on his a career as a journalist and creative writer, Inman has crafted the story of Cooper Lanier, a determined woman fighting to establish her independence in the tumultuous world of male-dominated politics.

The Governor’s Lady is Inman’s fifth novel, following Home Fires Burning (1987), Old Dogs
More about Robert Inman...