Start by marking “Two-Minute Mysteries” as Want to Read:
Two-Minute Mysteries

Two-Minute Mysteries

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  766 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Whether testing their own sleuthing abilities by working against the clock or enjoying the intrigue of unraveling the case, readers get lots of spine-tingling mystery in these thrilling puzzlers.
Published November 1st 1991 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1969)

Linda Blanco
Feb 06, 2016 Linda Blanco rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2016
Me encantó.
De todos nada más adiviné como 5 jajaja :(
Pero está muy bueno. Soy fan de los thrillers y de todo ese rollo.
Jackson
Jul 09, 2015 Jackson rated it really liked it
Bomb-ass book.
Omair
May 25, 2015 Omair rated it really liked it

The book Two-Minute Mysteries is a very mysterious and difficult book. It was written by Donald J. Sobol and was published on November 1st, 1991. This book has a lot of mysteries and is very entertaining for older kids. Some parts are hard to understand, but others are not as difficult and can be easily solved. These are very cleverly written, not only in dialogue and character personalities, but in the way the clues are hidden in the text. They are entertaining and mind bobbling because of the
'Chele
May 07, 2014 'Chele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I bought the three books in one. I was at a workshop and the presenter began the workshop by starting to read one of the mysteries. Before she was finished, everyone (all adults) were listening to her finish the story and asking her to read it again so we could solve it. She smiled and said, "I have just shown you the easiest way to get your students' attention." She was right! I have used this book over and over and shown others the "magic" of it. When I was at a private high school, students w ...more
Gabby
Jan 31, 2011 Gabby rated it really liked it
it was an amazing mind boggling experience
Laura Verret
Some really clever little mysteries which demand that you exercise your mind and try to solve them yourselves. Here is one of them.

The Case of the Locked Room

"I think I've been taken for ten thousand dollars, but I can't figure out how it was done," said Archer Skeat, the blind violinist, to Dr. Haledjian, as the two friends sat in the musician's library.

"Last night Marty Scopes dropped by," continued Skeat. "Marty had a ginger ale - and we got to chatting about the locked room mysteries till I
Cara
Haha, this is just as hard as I remember! What can I say? Except, now as an adult I don't feel as dumb. This Two-Minute Mysteries was written to intentionally frustrate. It's just silly.

I picked this up at the library, remembering I had a copy when I was younger and I was feeling nostalgic.

The mysteries are hilariously difficult for the intended audience and probably for anyone other than Donald Sobol. Dr. Haledjian?! I can't even pronounce his name or half the names in the mysteries now, let a
Byron Gonzalez
Sep 25, 2015 Byron Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Edmund
Oct 06, 2014 Edmund rated it really liked it
The book that I read was "Two-Minute Mysteries" by Donald J. Sobol. This book was great and have a lot of mysteries in one book. Each little mysteries was like demanding me that to exercise your mind and try to solve them myself. It was a pain but it was an amazing mind experience. The author had to make me challenge to think outside of the box and for the most part the book was a little hard to understand.
Amanda
Jul 10, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
This is moderately entertaining although, unlike some similar books, there aren't always enough clues to actually solve the mystery. Some rely on very obscure knowledge or lucky guesses only. Also, having read a fair bit of Encyclopedia Brown in my life, I'm entertained to see Sobol copying himself and putting the same cases/solutions in both this and Encyclopedia Brown.
Chelsi
Feb 01, 2014 Chelsi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime
Consisting of 100 or so clever little mysteries to solve, Two-Minute Mysteres by Donald J. Sobel challenges you to think outside of the box! Each mystery includes a short two-page account of the murder/crime, followed by the inverted answer at the bottom of the page. An excellent thought provoker that I thoroughly enjoyed, I rate Two-Minute Mysteres 4/5 stars.
Steven schofield
Apr 10, 2014 Steven schofield rated it it was amazing
Mysteries is one of my all time favorite type of genre i like to read. BUt this book has alot of different stories in it.Which is cool, i thought about it being like diffrent cases like what police do.it had one guy that reminded me of sherlock holmes. i would reccomend this book to anyone that likes good mysteries.
Nita
Mar 26, 2015 Nita rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-books-read
About 70 odd mysteries, each will literally take 2 minutes to read. Some are fairly obvious and simple, some are quite clever. There were a few where the reasoning seemed a little dubious or where the guilty party could have been given the benefit of the doubt.Overall a quick and easy read!
Renie
Aug 23, 2009 Renie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the author of the children's Encyclopedia Brown books comes a collection of short mysteries aimed at adults. Each mystery encompasses about a page of text, with the inverted answers included on the bottom of the second page. I enjoyed donning my sleuth hat, reading and re-reading these short vignettes, and trying to figure out who-dun-it. I didn't keep track, but I know there were more cases in which I was left stupified than cases I solved. Towards the end of the book I was more successful ...more
Allison Eilers
Feb 21, 2016 Allison Eilers rated it really liked it
I love it! I've actually only gotten through to page 125 because i've been busy and the library wants it back... but as soon as i can, i'm going to check it back out and finish it... it is so good!!!
Alex Lewis
Jun 02, 2016 Alex Lewis rated it liked it
I skipped most of the ones about murder since I used this for teaching. I would more give it 3 1/2 stars because some of the answers to the mysteries are outdated and don't make sense anymore. Some of the mysteries are fun and creative to read aloud with the class.
Ashley Mckinney
May 29, 2014 Ashley Mckinney rated it really liked it
It was a really fun book to read. I would recommend it to a reader of mysteries. Also, because the mysteries are so short, it could be a fun game or activity that can test your brain.
David Wolowsky
Jun 03, 2016 David Wolowsky rated it really liked it
Almost everyone in the class read this book. I liked it a lot as a twelve year old. Some of the 'solutions' were a bit far fetched but mostly pretty cool.
Parker
Aug 20, 2014 Parker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2014-reads
It wasn't anything special but me and friends had fun reading a few of them while we were camping! Got this from one of the Free Libraries.
Cora Kertzman
Mar 15, 2015 Cora Kertzman rated it liked it
There were some stories I skipped because I couldn't get into them, but overall it was a pretty good book.
Emma Sonck
Sep 21, 2014 Emma Sonck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I love mysteries and these are great when you want a mystery and don't have much time.
Angela
May 19, 2016 Angela rated it did not like it
These are such dreadfully violent and simplistic 'mysteries.'
Dalene
Oct 04, 2014 Dalene rated it really liked it
Great book for teaching genre.
Janet Lim
I like to read detative book,
James
Aug 27, 2007 James rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: crazy people and/or lobotomy patients
okay, so i know this book is supposed to be for younger readers (nevermind the fact that it's full of suicide and murder), but having recently re-read it (i remember loving it when i was a kid), i'm astounded at some of the jumps in logic that are taken to reach the conclusions of some of these "mysteries." i appreciate books that encourage kids to use their brains, but it seems to me that a lot of these were written with the intent in mind of stumping and frustrating their audience and nothing ...more
Giselle
Nov 24, 2008 Giselle rated it liked it
This book was Not really scary it suppose to be mystery but it was pretty good though. I learned they were some good parts that i like like 3 kids needed to Solve a mystery in one whole day. At the they did solve it but they were missing one important thing. That was to find the name of a ghost from the past time and discover what he did in the mystery house were the were sloving the problem. The how could those kids solve that Mystery. Lol
Cynthia Schwab
Sep 25, 2014 Cynthia Schwab rated it liked it
It was kind of scary!
Amanda
This was a good book but most of the mystery's were rather hard.

This has some good stories in it. I loved it!

Good stories.

I liked these books.I really like the stories in these books. I think all older kids (middle school)would like these books. These books are quick reads and quite intresting. These stories are fun to try to solve even though I counld not solve half the mysteries.
Dominique A
Mar 07, 2008 Dominique A rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mystery and action and is willing to try and solve a mystery. Suitable for all age
Recommended to Dominique by: a friend saw it in the school book fair
This book was pretty interesting. It's 422 pages of non-stop mystery that will leave you on your feet thinking about each and every case. From homicide to theft, this book has it all. The reason I like this book is because it lets you solve the mysteries which is not as easy as it sounds (yes, it does give you the answers later on). This book was really good.
beth c
Jan 18, 2014 beth c rated it really liked it
Really good! It makes you think.
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • Crime Files: Four-Minute Forensic Mysteries: Body of Evidence
  • Not That I Care (Friendship Ring, #3)
  • Lateral Thinking Puzzlers
  • Watchdog and the Coyotes
  • Salsa Stories (cuentos Con Sazon)
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)
  • Windcatcher
  • Derwood, Inc
  • You Be the Jury
  • The Big Bazoohley
  • The Short-Wave Mystery (Hardy Boys, #24)
  • The Only Game in Town (Spirit Flyer, #3)
  • Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)
  • Secret Identity (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective, #33; Identity Mystery, #1)
  • The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues
  • The Mystery of the Sinister Scarecrow (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #29)
  • How To Do Everything: (From the Man Who Should Know: Red Green)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...