Start by marking “Cash Cows, Pigs and Jackpots: The Simplest Personal Finance Strategy Ever” as Want to Read:
Cash Cows, Pigs and Jackpots: The Simplest Personal Finance Strategy Ever

Cash Cows, Pigs and Jackpots: The Simplest Personal Finance Strategy Ever

A contrarian and controversial look at personal finance, and a super simple strategy for making--and keeping--more moneyTraditional financial wisdom persuades us to grow our net worth and build our assets. But traditional financial wisdom is often wrong. In "Cash Cows, Pigs and Jackpots: The Simplest Personal Finance Strategy You'll Ever See," author and Chartered Accounta ...more
Published September 19th 2012 by Wiley (first published September 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cash Cows, Pigs and Jackpots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cash Cows, Pigs and Jackpots

Jeff Wyonch
Oct 20, 2013 Jeff Wyonch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trahair is a great writer on personal finances, and I love his balanced 'no silver bullet' approach. While this is not the greatest news to hear, it's better advice than most get. Covering mortgages, retirement, and basic personal finance issues, I highly recommend this.
Rick Brick
The author spends a great deal of time speaking to issues he acknowledges are not his areas of expertise such as nutrition and psychology. Why he bothers in a book on personnel finance is beyond my understanding. The pure financial aspects are okay but would only interest someone who was a complete neophyte in these areas. Although the book is only three years old, much of it is already out of date.
Shannon
May 26, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very basic but easy-to-read with really sound advice for those new to financial planning.
Holly Vipond
Jan 25, 2014 Holly Vipond rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
Someone who is not a financial professional holding himself out as a personal finance guru. He is strangely biased against wealthy people, saying that you may as well not try to be wealthy because you'll probably lose it all anyway and other people's wealth is built on a house of cards. He also says stupid things like that you can't make money off a rental property unless the mortgage is fully paid off, and the best way to protect your earning power is to eat well and exercise (no mention of dis ...more
LA
Nov 05, 2012 LA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon
I was hoping for some insight into my cash inflow and outflow. Unfortunately as a homeowner who is not near retirement, this book didn't have a lot for me. A large part of it is an analysis of whether you should buy or rent, and should you buy a condo. If you haven't bought property yet, it might indeed be useful.

Another part of the book evaluated the CPP, OAS, and RRSPs. It may help you understand these things more, and would be interesting if you were near retirement, but there were no "lightn
Kim
Jul 29, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I found Trahair's ENOUGH BULL to be a better personal finance book than this one. I wasn't a fan of the (well-intentioned) bits on happiness, or generally the theme of cows, pigs and jackpots. But, I found the chapters on condominiums (which even include an example of buying a condo in Toronto vs. Renting) and CPP to be very helpful information that is tough to get elsewhere.
Patrick Ireland
Feb 26, 2013 Patrick Ireland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I have ever read about Canadian government services and retirement pensions. Updates about CPP and OAS are included. Mr. Trahair offers golden advice about strategies toward retiring in Canada. Everyone between the ages of 55 and 70 should read this book. Brilliant!
Maxine
A good read on the topic - especially so for Canadians (no need to switch words like 401K to RRSP with this one).
TheEditingCompany
Jan 18, 2013 TheEditingCompany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tec-books
Proofread by The Editing Company
Aly Mawji
Aly Mawji marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Shawna Kelly
Shawna Kelly rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Ryan Jewett
Ryan Jewett rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2016
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Katie Rothering
Katie Rothering is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2016
Deadpixel
Deadpixel rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2016
ANNA
ANNA added it
Jun 06, 2016
Camille
Camille rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2016
Izabela
Izabela rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2016
Steve Slaunwhite
Steve Slaunwhite rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Brooks
Brooks rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Hasan Javid
Hasan Javid marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015