Start by marking “The Magicians and the Magician King” as Want to Read:
The Magicians and the Magician King

The Magicians and the Magician King (The Magicians, #1-2)

Two novels from "New York Times" bestselling author Lev Grossman: "The Magicians" and its riveting sequel, "The Magician King."
THE MAGICIANS: " "Quentin Coldwater is brilliant but miserable. A high school math genius, he's secretly fascinated with a series of children's fantasy novels set in a magical land called Fillory, and real life is disappointing by comparison. When
Published October 1st 2012 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about The Magicians and the Magician King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magicians and the Magician King

Vanessa
Mar 21, 2013 Vanessa rated it liked it
Who doesn't wish Fillory was real? Or Hogwarts? Or Narnia?

The Magicians and the Magician King bring magic to life in a way day dreamers, young and old, hope for. Quentin Coldwater is just like you, or me, well, not really, he's a genius. But he's a dreamer, as those enmeshed in fantasy often are. As a child he was captivated by Fillory novels, as we were captivated by Narnia, or Hogwarts. For Quintin, though, magic was real, and he was able to become a magician.

The rest of us are lucky to get a
Jennifer Sikora
Oct 24, 2013 Jennifer Sikora rated it really liked it
These books (and genre) were introduced to me by my husband, and I am glad for it. This is a bit of Harry Potter for the Grown Ups, but has a much more layered sophistication in the writing, characters, and plot than you might expect. I would rate the first book, The Magicians, higher than the follow up of The Magician King, but they are both quality reads.
William Bonakoski
Mar 29, 2013 William Bonakoski rated it it was amazing
The Magicians, an interesting twist on the coming of age magician novel. Sex, drugs, and magic, who could ask for more. But, what happens when you get everything you ever wanted but still seek adventure? Welcome to the Magician King.
Jennifer Brickner
Feb 22, 2016 Jennifer Brickner rated it it was amazing
Love the TV series and now I know why!!
Rick
Jan 03, 2017 Rick rated it it was ok
Not sure how I felt about this book don't know that I was entertained, don't know if I related to the characters certainly wasn't excited to see what happened next. All in all I wasn't moved by the characters or their trials and tribulations.
TheSmellOfPaper
Jan 19, 2013 TheSmellOfPaper rated it really liked it
Although I didn't read this edition, I did read these books back-to-back so this is perfect for a combined review.

As a new convert to Goodreads, I'm still figuring out my own ratings algorithm. I'm not sure "I really liked it" (4 stars) does these books justice versus "It was amazing" (5 stars) but I've already decided I can only give a book 5 stars if it's as good as my triumvirate of all-time greats (War and Peace, Underworld, and Infinite Jest). That's my bar. So this is a 4, but it's a "stro
Selina Kyle
Jan 14, 2015 Selina Kyle rated it it was amazing
I came very late to the Harry Potter scene. Actually, I don't know that I ever really arrived there. I don't know how old I was when the first one came out, but when I was in hospital, a friend of mine gave me a heap of fantasy books to read. She thought that I would need a break from my real life, and Harry Potter was her favorite escape.

But I was seventeen, and while I thought the world was clever, I couldn't connect with magical teenagers whose problems in no way resembled my own. Harry Potte
sid
Jun 18, 2016 sid rated it liked it
i keep wishing to throw it away. depressing book. i am midway in the second book.. nothing is asking me to grip the book. its just too depressing, at times boring, characters behave in a weird way. i get it… magic..the real world is not as charming as in fiction books.. but hey.. we read books to walk away from the depressive stuff.. your books make me feel gloomy. i will finish for the sake of story.. theres no fun. i keep wishing something will happen. it never does.. and when it happens, the ...more
Marlena
Aug 12, 2014 Marlena rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I really liked this book up until about the halfway point. Then the heavy alcohol and drug use started. This is supposed to be a young adult book, but the substance abuse, coupled with gratuitous frequent spattering of the "F"-bomb not only kept me from really enjoying the story, but will prevent me from ever allowing my own young adults from reading this author. So sad when such a promising story is ruined in such a way.
Beth Rosen
May 16, 2013 Beth Rosen rated it really liked it
I really liked these books. In The Magicians, the Quentin is a little too whiney sometimes, but still a great adventure. The Magician King is a better book, more interesting, and the Julia character is damaged yet compelling. It is full of completely unexpected, yet inevitable plot twists. I heard that a 3rd book will come out & I plan to buy it right away - thats a huge endorsement for somebody who buys all her books second hand.
Flexanimous
Aug 02, 2013 Flexanimous rated it it was amazing
I loved The Magicians so much that when I finished reading it I immediately bought The Magician King on Amazon and read it straight through. I didn't get out of my pyjamas all day. Some Harry Potter-like elements (a school of magic!) with shades of Narnia (talking animals!) but also with sex and swearing, which the aforementioned series sadly lacked. What's not to love?
Stephanie
Feb 12, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Still too Chronicles of Narnia to be original, but I enjoy reading about their magic world. Good hard lessons
Robb
May 04, 2013 Robb rated it really liked it
I read both books individually, not as listed but enjoyed both novels. If your looking for decent read, I recommend both!
Jonathan Nafziger
Jonathan Nafziger rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2015
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Alan Mendelsohn
Alan Mendelsohn rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Suzie
Suzie rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Abhijit Roy
Abhijit Roy rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Erika
Erika rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2016
Lisa Chen
Lisa Chen rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Chayce Trotter
Chayce Trotter rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Andrew Loeffler
Andrew Loeffler rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Debbi
Debbi rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Garren
Garren rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
  • Our Religions: The Seven World Religions Introduced by Preeminent Scholars from Each Tradition
  • The Parasol Protectorate, Volume 2
  • Behind the Shock Machine: The Untold Story of the Notorious Milgram Psychology Experiments
  • Passion and Propriety (Hearts of Honour, Book 1)
  • The Letters of Mina Harker
  • The Soul and the Seed (The Kyrennei #1)
  • Thimblerig's Ark
  • Crimes of the Brothers
  • The Barefoot Bride
  • The Urban Cycling Survival Guide: Need-to-Know Skills and Strategies for Biking in the City
  • Gesponnen aus Gefühlen (BookLessSaga #2)
  • A World Without Bees
  • London Calling
  • Magic in the Stars (Unexpected Magic #1)
  • A Sincere Warning About The Entity In Your Home
  • The Rogues of Ravensmuir Boxed Set (Rogues of Ravensmuir, #1-3)
  • Primo Levi's Resistance: Rebels and Collaborators in Occupied Italy
  • The Chronicles of Castle Brass: Count Brass/Quest for Tanelorn/Champion of Garathorm
My novel The Magicians was a New York Times bestseller. So was the sequel, The Magician King. The third book in the trilogy, The Magician's Land, will be published in August 2014.

There's yet more information about me and my books on my website.
More about Lev Grossman...

The Magicians, (3 books)
  • The Magicians (The Magicians #1)
  • The Magician King (The Magicians, #2)
  • The Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3)

“She swore she could prove it mathematically, but the calculations required were so involved that they would have required a computer the size of the universe, running for a length of time that would have taken them past the projected heat-death of the universe, to work them out. It was pretty much the definition of moot.” 2 likes
“The study of magic is not a science, it is not an art, and it is not a religion. Magic is a craft. When we do magic, we do not wish and we do not pray. We rely upon our will and our knowledge and our skill to make a specific change to the world.” 2 likes