The Island of Adventure

The Island of Adventure (Adventure #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,912 ratings  ·  58 reviews
For Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Jack, the holiday in Cornwall was everything they'd hoped for - until they began to realise that something very sinister was taking place on the Isle of Gloom.
Paperback, Facsimile of First Edition, 336 pages
Published June 10th 1994 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published 1944)

Sherwood Smith
I am afraid to reread these books again--I started to ten or fifteen years back, and was appalled at how dead cliche they were. But when I was ten, they were the most riveting and exciting books I'd ever found, and I adored them. Blyton mastered the formula of establishing character types, so that the kid reader can easily recognize characters and motivations, gets the adults conveniently out of the way, and lets the kids have the adventure and solve things. The prose is instantly accessible, th...more
Tom Seward
Enid Blyton is an amazing childrens author, bestselling in the world. Although almost undiscovered by Americans.

This series (The Adventure Series is 8 books long) Features 4 friends who fall into adventures with counterfeiters, gunrunners, treasure hunters and the like. Jack, Philip, Diana, and Lucy-Anne and their crazy talking parrot, KIKI, are a lot of fun to follow through their adventures... This series is top notch reading... introduce your children to Enid Blyton today!
Tara Calaby
The Adventure series was one of my favourites when young, but I don't think I read this particular title more than once, going by the fact that I didn't remember the plot at all when re-reading it. It's a strong adventure story for kids, although I personally think that later titles in the series were stronger. Certain aspects of the book are a little bemusing when reading as an adult - like the strange man whom the children befriend and eventually invite into their bedroom for the night ;) Ther...more
Philip and Dinah Mannering and Lucy-Ann and Jack Trent have had the best of luck in being allowed to spend summer break together at the Mannering’s home – a castle, actually – Craggy Tops. They spend most of their time crawling along the beaches and hills and cliffs near Craggy Tops looking at birds and trying to find a way to get out to the mysterious island they see every once in a while through the fog out on the ocean. Unfortunately, their only options are Bill Smuggs, a friendly but secreti...more
Shawne
I'm a fan of Enid Blyton. A HUGE fan. And yes, I have found pleasure beyond rose-tinged nostalgia even re-reading her books as an adult. I suppose there's a reason I never stumbled upon the Adventure series as a child - while Blyton deals fantastically well with boarding school stories and fantasy worlds for children, whether it be fairies and gollywogs, adventure stories seem rather less her forte. And I would hazard a guess that this series is accordingly lesser known than some of her classics...more
Valerie
This is the 1st in a series of 8 books that I've read many times during my childhood.
Used to get them at the library every summer, sometimes I read them in order, sometimes not, it didn't really matter, I enjoyed them whatever way I read them.
To be honest, it wasn't reading, it was sharing the adventures with the characters, they did get into some predicaments, ones we all dreamed about getting into ourselves as kids in real life!
I got the boxed set for Christmas when I was 40, I read them agai...more
Indah Threez Lestari
1311th - 2011

Baca ulang.

Seri petualangan merupakan salah satu seri Enid Blyton favoritku selain Pasukan Mau Tahu. Buku ini kubaca lagi setelah bertahun-tahun lewat, jadi rasanya ada sesuatu yang hilang, tidak seseru waktu kubaca jaman SD. Ini kayaknya memang Faktor U, dan pengaruh sudah terlalu banyak buku yang lebih menarik yang sudah kubaca.

Anyway... baru nyadar misteri di Pulau Suram ini kok sama dengan misteri di Pulau Hitam-nya Tintin. Jadi, mencetak uang palsu memang harus dilakukan di pul...more
Dayna
The first book in Enid Blyton’s Adventure series.

I’ve read a few books in this series over the years, but I’ve never read the series in its entirety, or the first book, so it was great to read where it all began.

It had all of the trademarks of a Blyton novel; a group of kids, a cool pet, obvious bad guys, plenty of good eats and a rollicking, good adventure.

This one was very similar to the first book in the Famous Five series as far as the setting, with the Island, underground tunnels, ring of...more
Flinty Maguire
I was 6 or 7 when I found this book on a dusty shelf in my grandmother's box room. (The rest of her house wasn't dusty - just the box room, which is why I was snooping probably). It had lost its book cover, so was a simple red hardback - quite unappealing really. But, once I started reading, I just couldn't put it down. I was suddenly in a different life and having a very exciting adventure.

My friend, Grace, had tons of Enid Blyton adventure books - Rockingdown Mystery, Ragamuffin Mystery - and...more
Beth
How I inhaled this series when I was eight! It really is the same book repeated over and over, with some stories more successful than others.

And I'm starting to think that Enid Blyton's most successful characters are her animals. Kiki somehow never grates on my nerves, probably because I'm forever laughing at how she grates on everyone else's. Then again, "how people react to Kiki" is a frustrating good/evil barometer. SO. Typical Enid Blyton.
Andrea
This book was recommended by one of my Indian students because this is his favorite author. It is very old (published in 1944), but it is still a goodie. The characters and story are well-developed, and the action and suspense are thrilling, but not too scary. The old-fashioned language is also very amusing. This is a good book for any elementary aged reader. It is part of a series, and I am excited to read more!
Priya
After a long time, I finally got to start the adventure series and i felt it was worth it ... the plot is acceptable for a bunch of early teens ... first of all they are not portrayed to be super human kids who can do more than we can imagine... but just a bunch of curious georgies :) acceptable for their age ... and lucky at the end :)

Can wait to continue the series ...
Srishti
It was rather scary. I was gripping my seat in sheer terror throughout the entire book. It was THAT scary. On the whole, it was a definite thriller, a story full of surprising and (more) shocking turns, a must-read book for all Enid Blyton lovers. I won't tell you the story, for if I do, what good is the book? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Ana
Foi uma experiência muito gira. Mais um regresso ao passado, a uma autora que teve um enorme impacto na minha infância. Simplesmente adorava todos os livros que dela li em pequena, e foi por sua causa, que locais como faróis solitários, ou colégios internos, passaram a fazer parte do meu imaginário. Como eu gostaria naquela altura de ir morar para um farol...

Agora de regresso, é óbvio que a história não tem o mesmo impacto. Mas é de igual forma uma história poderosa e muito interessante, que pr...more
CLM
The first and perhaps most memorable of Blyton's Adventure series - starring Dinah and her brother Philip (and his assorted animals), Jack and his wimpy sister Lucy-Ann, and Kiki the Parrot. No one who has read this book will forget the perilous descent into a dark well, relying on metal staples for grip. Fusty, musty, dusty!
Jake Collins
The Adventure series is brilliant - Enid Blyton at her absolute best. It's like the Famous Five series but much more hard-core. Jack, Philip, Dinah and Lucy-Ann constantly find themselves in extreme survival situations that would probably make the Five decide to cut their losses and take their own lives. Usually (although not in this particular instalment) the children get themselves trapped in some godforsaken foreign country for months on end with apparently no feasible way of ever escaping. T...more
Warm
saya baca cetakan ketiganya, november 2011. bacaan pas smp dulu ini, ternyata tetep saja menarik. Penggambaran tempat dan lokasi yang detil oleh Enid Blyton selalu menarik untuk diikuti, apalagi sering setingnya di sekitar pantai. Semoga saja suatu saat ada penulis Indonesia sebagus bu Enid.
Scolaro
Oh boy, I knew even when I read it for the first time during childhood that this series is misogynistic like hell, but it's actually worse than I remember. Other than that nice story, but not as good and exciting as the other books in the series.
Shauna
I really wanted to like this book. Sallie and I were reading it aloud. I would compare the quality of writing to the Hardy Boys series. But, the characters were difficult to tell apart, and I felt like there wasn't much redeeming in the story line. The children are dishonest, the adults are disinterested, except the "stranger" the children meet (and he is a nice person, but not a behavior I want to encourage in my children). The children in the story justify dangerous and/or dishonest behavior f...more
Miss Kodok
Buku pertama serial petualangan karya Enyd Blyton. Bercerita tentang petualangan 4 orang anak dan seekor burung kakaktua. Ceritanya cukup asik sebagai bahan bacaan untuk anak-anak. Membuat penasaran.
Sally
Lovely opener to a new series :) But how simplistic and perfect the times were, that Philip and Dinah's mother could so easily adopt Jack and Lucy-Ann to keep the friends all together!
Kevin King
I love this book, published when I was just a dream. I have the 1955 edition with illustrations by stuart tresilian. lovely illos and as you all know, a beautiful tale.
Karthik
While this is my favorite series, I really did not like this book all that much. It is not bad as such but does not live up to the other books. The initial part where the protagonists meet each other for the first time is exciting. After that somehow the story failed to excite me. Islands, underground passages through seas etc. are a regular feature on many of the other Enid Blyton series as well. So they did not have much novelty in them. We do not encounter any exotic locales nor does Philip h...more
Madura
I thnk this is a great book.Another one of enid blytons classics the way this book shows adventures among the friends is great
Alana
I remember reading this series with my best friend as a child in Australia. I loved them.
Jasmine Anne Victoria Bamber
Fun carictewr, tpyical Enid Blyton plot. A must read fo all Enid blyton fans.
Swathika
I liked the plot, though it was quite predictable.
Dreamer
Devoured this series of books as a kid. Go Enid!!
Daniel
This book Is so a really fun to read
Rena
ISBN: 1-05-1631-01-9
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • Summer Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #8)
  • South Sea Adventure
  • Hari-Hari Bahagia di Bullerbyn
  • The Sea Fairies
  • The Chalet School in Exile (The Chalet School, #16)
  • The Naughtiest Girl Saves the Day (The Naughtiest Girl, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to editor Hugh Pollock, with whom she had tw...more
More about Enid Blyton...
The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2) The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1) Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1) The Faraway Tree Stories (The Faraway Tree #1-3) The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)

“Well, you know what grown-ups are,' said Dinah. 'They don't think the same way as we do. I expect when we grow up, we shall think like them - but let's hope we remember what it was like to think in the way children do, and understand the boys and the girls that are growing up when we're men and women.” 10 likes