Start by marking “The Island of Adventure” as Want to Read:
The Island of Adventure

The Island of Adventure (Adventure #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,896 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
For Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Jack, the holiday in Cornwall was everything they'd hoped for - until they began to realise that something very sinister was taking place on the Isle of Gloom.
Paperback, Facsimile of First Edition, 336 pages
Published June 10th 1994 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Island of Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Island of Adventure

Valerie
Sep 06, 2015 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 1st in a series of 8 books that I've read many times during my childhood.
Used to get them at the library every summer, sometimes I read them in order, sometimes not, it didn't really matter, I enjoyed them whatever way I read them.
To be honest, it wasn't reading, it was sharing the adventures with the characters, they did get into some predicaments, ones we all dreamed about getting into ourselves as kids in real life!
I got the boxed set for Christmas when I was 40, I read them agai
Sherwood Smith
I am afraid to reread these books again--I started to ten or fifteen years back, and was appalled at how dead cliche they were. But when I was ten, they were the most riveting and exciting books I'd ever found, and I adored them. Blyton mastered the formula of establishing character types, so that the kid reader can easily recognize characters and motivations, gets the adults conveniently out of the way, and lets the kids have the adventure and solve things. The prose is instantly accessible, th ...more
Tom Seward
Mar 21, 2010 Tom Seward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enid-blyton
Enid Blyton is an amazing childrens author, bestselling in the world. Although almost undiscovered by Americans.

This series (The Adventure Series is 8 books long) Features 4 friends who fall into adventures with counterfeiters, gunrunners, treasure hunters and the like. Jack, Philip, Diana, and Lucy-Anne and their crazy talking parrot, KIKI, are a lot of fun to follow through their adventures... This series is top notch reading... introduce your children to Enid Blyton today!
Tara Calaby
Jan 16, 2009 Tara Calaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
The Adventure series was one of my favourites when young, but I don't think I read this particular title more than once, going by the fact that I didn't remember the plot at all when re-reading it. It's a strong adventure story for kids, although I personally think that later titles in the series were stronger. Certain aspects of the book are a little bemusing when reading as an adult - like the strange man whom the children befriend and eventually invite into their bedroom for the night ;) Ther ...more
Helen Yeomans
Mar 23, 2016 Helen Yeomans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book from my youth and decided to re-read it to see if it stands up.

It does. Enid Blyton apparently wrote more than 700 books for children, but I always thought you could keep your Noddys and your Famous Fives; the Adventure series was my favourite. I liked the two sets of siblings, Phillip and Dinah, and their friends Jack and Lucy Ann. And Kiki the parrot is still good for a laugh or two. The adults, especially Bill Smugs, were always around when you needed them but conveni
Samantha
This series of books was chosen as part of my 2015 Reading Challenge but I'd often wanted to revisit the books of my childhood. I remember absolutely loving Enid Blyton and so I was apprehensive would they live up to my memories. Well I'm pleased to say I was not disappointed it was every bit as exciting and fun as I remembered and I can see why Enid Blyton was so popular and why I loved them so much as a child.

The 4 children Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Jack (not forgetting Kiki the parrot) are
Jake Collins
May 11, 2014 Jake Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Adventure series is brilliant - Enid Blyton at her absolute best. It's like the Famous Five series but much more hard-core. Jack, Philip, Dinah and Lucy-Ann constantly find themselves in extreme survival situations that would probably make the Five decide to cut their losses and take their own lives. Usually (although not in this particular instalment) the children get themselves trapped in some godforsaken foreign country for months on end with apparently no feasible way of ever escaping. T ...more
Jun 05, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip and Dinah Mannering and Lucy-Ann and Jack Trent have had the best of luck in being allowed to spend summer break together at the Mannering’s home – a castle, actually – Craggy Tops. They spend most of their time crawling along the beaches and hills and cliffs near Craggy Tops looking at birds and trying to find a way to get out to the mysterious island they see every once in a while through the fog out on the ocean. Unfortunately, their only options are Bill Smuggs, a friendly but secreti ...more
Shawne
Sep 07, 2008 Shawne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm a fan of Enid Blyton. A HUGE fan. And yes, I have found pleasure beyond rose-tinged nostalgia even re-reading her books as an adult. I suppose there's a reason I never stumbled upon the Adventure series as a child - while Blyton deals fantastically well with boarding school stories and fantasy worlds for children, whether it be fairies and gollywogs, adventure stories seem rather less her forte. And I would hazard a guess that this series is accordingly lesser known than some of her classics ...more
Indah Threez Lestari
1311th - 2011

Baca ulang.

Seri petualangan merupakan salah satu seri Enid Blyton favoritku selain Pasukan Mau Tahu. Buku ini kubaca lagi setelah bertahun-tahun lewat, jadi rasanya ada sesuatu yang hilang, tidak seseru waktu kubaca jaman SD. Ini kayaknya memang Faktor U, dan pengaruh sudah terlalu banyak buku yang lebih menarik yang sudah kubaca.

Anyway... baru nyadar misteri di Pulau Suram ini kok sama dengan misteri di Pulau Hitam-nya Tintin. Jadi, mencetak uang palsu memang harus dilakukan di pul
Gie
Apr 13, 2015 Gie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
gila,lah... emang oma Enid Blyton ini yah paling bisa bikin pembacanya berimajinasi! walau awalnya saya rada kesusahan untuk menyelesaikan buku ini (dunno, di awal ampe pertengahan rada membosankan. padahal udah diceritain tuh perihal gudang yang bisa tembus ke pantai setelah melalui lorong panjang. juga mungkin sayanya yang gak sabaran bacanya).

sempat mikir ini buku aman gak sih buat anak-anak, karena petualangan mereka tuh, yaa... ampun, segala nyemplung sumur terus masuk ke lorong rahasia, te
Dayna
Jun 26, 2014 Dayna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in Enid Blyton’s Adventure series.

I’ve read a few books in this series over the years, but I’ve never read the series in its entirety, or the first book, so it was great to read where it all began.

It had all of the trademarks of a Blyton novel; a group of kids, a cool pet, obvious bad guys, plenty of good eats and a rollicking, good adventure.

This one was very similar to the first book in the Famous Five series as far as the setting, with the Island, underground tunnels, ring of
Flinty Maguire
Feb 03, 2014 Flinty Maguire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was 6 or 7 when I found this book on a dusty shelf in my grandmother's box room. (The rest of her house wasn't dusty - just the box room, which is why I was snooping probably). It had lost its book cover, so was a simple red hardback - quite unappealing really. But, once I started reading, I just couldn't put it down. I was suddenly in a different life and having a very exciting adventure.

My friend, Grace, had tons of Enid Blyton adventure books - Rockingdown Mystery, Ragamuffin Mystery - and
Rogerio
This is typical Enid Blyton stile and has a striking similarity with the Famous 5 story where they go to the island for the first time. It is actually 5 once more (4 kids and 1 parrot), on school holidays, 2 kids visiting other 2 kids, secret passages, bandits, etc. It is a good story to read, however, if you read the Famous 5 this book comes across as not being very creative and a sort of "more of the same".
The cavalry gets there in the end :).
Beth
How I inhaled this series when I was eight! It really is the same book repeated over and over, with some stories more successful than others.

And I'm starting to think that Enid Blyton's most successful characters are her animals. Kiki somehow never grates on my nerves, probably because I'm forever laughing at how she grates on everyone else's. Then again, "how people react to Kiki" is a frustrating good/evil barometer. SO. Typical Enid Blyton.
Andrea
Feb 01, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by one of my Indian students because this is his favorite author. It is very old (published in 1944), but it is still a goodie. The characters and story are well-developed, and the action and suspense are thrilling, but not too scary. The old-fashioned language is also very amusing. This is a good book for any elementary aged reader. It is part of a series, and I am excited to read more!
Priya
Oct 03, 2011 Priya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, 2011-books
After a long time, I finally got to start the adventure series and i felt it was worth it ... the plot is acceptable for a bunch of early teens ... first of all they are not portrayed to be super human kids who can do more than we can imagine... but just a bunch of curious georgies :) acceptable for their age ... and lucky at the end :)

Can wait to continue the series ...
Srishti
Oct 13, 2013 Srishti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was rather scary. I was gripping my seat in sheer terror throughout the entire book. It was THAT scary. On the whole, it was a definite thriller, a story full of surprising and (more) shocking turns, a must-read book for all Enid Blyton lovers. I won't tell you the story, for if I do, what good is the book? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Ana
Mar 13, 2014 Ana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good
Foi uma experiência muito gira. Mais um regresso ao passado, a uma autora que teve um enorme impacto na minha infância. Simplesmente adorava todos os livros que dela li em pequena, e foi por sua causa, que locais como faróis solitários, ou colégios internos, passaram a fazer parte do meu imaginário. Como eu gostaria naquela altura de ir morar para um farol...

Agora de regresso, é óbvio que a história não tem o mesmo impacto. Mas é de igual forma uma história poderosa e muito interessante, que pr
CLM
Mar 24, 2008 CLM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first and perhaps most memorable of Blyton's Adventure series - starring Dinah and her brother Philip (and his assorted animals), Jack and his wimpy sister Lucy-Ann, and Kiki the Parrot. No one who has read this book will forget the perilous descent into a dark well, relying on metal staples for grip. Fusty, musty, dusty!
Rd. Sya'rani
Apr 05, 2012 Rd. Sya'rani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
saya baca cetakan ketiganya, november 2011. bacaan pas smp dulu ini, ternyata tetep saja menarik. Penggambaran tempat dan lokasi yang detil oleh Enid Blyton selalu menarik untuk diikuti, apalagi sering setingnya di sekitar pantai. Semoga saja suatu saat ada penulis Indonesia sebagus bu Enid.
Scolaro
Jul 02, 2010 Scolaro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, adventure
Oh boy, I knew even when I read it for the first time during childhood that this series is misogynistic like hell, but it's actually worse than I remember. Other than that nice story, but not as good and exciting as the other books in the series.
Shauna
Jan 09, 2014 Shauna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book. Sallie and I were reading it aloud. I would compare the quality of writing to the Hardy Boys series. But, the characters were difficult to tell apart, and I felt like there wasn't much redeeming in the story line. The children are dishonest, the adults are disinterested, except the "stranger" the children meet (and he is a nice person, but not a behavior I want to encourage in my children). The children in the story justify dangerous and/or dishonest behavior f ...more
M.K. Aston
Aug 28, 2015 M.K. Aston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderfully exciting tale for children. And a nostalgic read for me. Loved these books as a kid and still get enjoyment from them today. Stuart Tresilian's illustrations are simply terrific too.
Miss Kodok
Buku pertama serial petualangan karya Enyd Blyton. Bercerita tentang petualangan 4 orang anak dan seekor burung kakaktua. Ceritanya cukup asik sebagai bahan bacaan untuk anak-anak. Membuat penasaran.
Sally
Lovely opener to a new series :) But how simplistic and perfect the times were, that Philip and Dinah's mother could so easily adopt Jack and Lucy-Ann to keep the friends all together!
Kevin King
Jan 13, 2009 Kevin King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, published when I was just a dream. I have the 1955 edition with illustrations by stuart tresilian. lovely illos and as you all know, a beautiful tale.
Karthik
While this is my favorite series, I really did not like this book all that much. It is not bad as such but does not live up to the other books. The initial part where the protagonists meet each other for the first time is exciting. After that somehow the story failed to excite me. Islands, underground passages through seas etc. are a regular feature on many of the other Enid Blyton series as well. So they did not have much novelty in them. We do not encounter any exotic locales nor does Philip h ...more
Madura
Nov 09, 2011 Madura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thnk this is a great book.Another one of enid blytons classics the way this book shows adventures among the friends is great
Alana
I remember reading this series with my best friend as a child in Australia. I loved them.
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Nya hyss av Emil i Lönneberga (Emil i Lönneberga, #2)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls (The Chalet School, #9)
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)
  • Amazon Adventure
  • The Sea Fairies
  • Return to Sender
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

Adventure (8 books)
  • The Castle of Adventure (Adventure, #2)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
  • The Ship of Adventure (Adventure, #6)
  • The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)

“Well, you know what grown-ups are,' said Dinah. 'They don't think the same way as we do. I expect when we grow up, we shall think like them - but let's hope we remember what it was like to think in the way children do, and understand the boys and the girls that are growing up when we're men and women.” 16 likes