Carmina Burana: Thirty Poems

Carmina Burana: Thirty Poems

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This is a selection from the 13th century collection of secular Latin poems. Some are serious (eg "Crusade" poems) but the majority are light, including many love poems. A number of items from the Carmina are well known as text for Carl Orff's 'Scenic Cantata'.
Published June 1st 1991 by Bristol Classical Press (first published January 1st 1200)

Lavinia
The only reason I read "Carmina Burana" is because I wanted to see the ballet performance of it and since it's in Latin, I also wanted to know what the lyrics are about.

The poetry in itself is not extraordinary - but I'm definitely NOT the person to make critical remarks on medieval poetry - I did like the love poems more than the moral and drinking ones, though. Actually, the poems were meant to be sung, so I'm not sure the term "poems" is entirely accurate.

Now, the performance. I had tickets...more
Chip
I've read Eddas, Vedas, Lays, Gitas... the defining myth of cultures around the world. Selections from the Carmina Burana define the culture of the alehouse (mostly). I was struck, as I read it, that it seemed a collection of wittiness collected by a college frat historian. So don't expect sweeping sagas of yore; set the bar a little lower, like a medieval Animal House.

Being familiar with Orff's choral work of the same name, I picked up the book when I saw the title and cracked it open to read:...more
Jody
While not the spiritual experience of Handel's Messiah, Orff's Carmina Burana is an unparalleled musical experience. It should, if done all justice, include a full Orff orchestra, choir, and dancers!
3ppman
Joyous,humoristic, mischievous and diving into everyday life to portray its strongest, not deepest impressions, Carmina Burana is a true classic and an important mirror of the world as it used to be in Middle Age. In all its simplicity and melody it shows what poetry truely is - a man, simply walking on his way and singing along with the world.
Emily
The poems themselves are worthwhile but the edition contains errors (e.g. two poems XII), not the most pleasing typeface, and editorial notes that focus more on providing citations of classical and biblical allusions than comments on grammar and Medieval Latinity.
Thom Dunn
I remember Orff being rediscovered in the 60s after being suppressed following WW II.

My copy is from Cincinnati's May Festival Book for 1982.
Kevin
Really Amazing!! I was in a performance of Carl Orff's opera version with my chorus, so I thought I should read this.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I didn't know these were poems!
Mark
Mark is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2014
Peter Middleton
Peter Middleton marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Lila
Lila added it
Jun 03, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Luisa Barbano
Luisa Barbano marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Aram I
Aram I marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Juan Paz
Juan Paz marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Caio Cesar Loures
Caio Cesar Loures marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Guilherme
Guilherme marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Yordan Eftimov
Yordan Eftimov marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Bhagavad Gita