Start by marking “The Parting Glass” as Want to Read:
The Parting Glass

The Parting Glass (Whiskey Islands #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"USA TODAY" bestselling author Emilie Richards continues the journey begun in her beloved novel Whiskey Island with this unforgettable tale of star-crossed lovers, murder and three sisters who discover a hidden legacy that will lead them home at last to Ireland.

Megan, who is feeling hopelessly unprepared in her new marriage, has no idea how to fix the problems already faci...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Mira Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Parting Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Parting Glass

Vickie
Great book about women friends who are quilters.
Michelle
This is the sequel to Whiskey Island and revisits the lives of the 3 Donaghue sisters. The book focuses primarily on Megan, who is about to get married to Niccolo, a former priest, and Peggy, the youngest sister, who has a son with signs of autism. At the wedding reception at their saloon, a freak tornado causes the guests to be trapped. Their father is able to lead them out through some secret tunnels from the Prohibition era. The remainder of book deals with the rebuilding of the saloon and th...more
Gloria Bernal
In this sequel to Whiskey Island, we once again get drawn in to the lives of the Donaghue sisters, Megan, Casey and Peggy. This opens with the marriage of Megan to the former priest Nick. When an earthquake rattles everyone at their wedding in the saloon that the family runs, an old tunnel is discovered and provides an escape route for their guests. Apparently, this tunnel was used for bootlegging back in the day of their Irish ancestors. Here begins two stories, the one of the girls in present...more
Karen
Sorry to say I gave up on this book after reading 100 pages. I found it slow moving and dull. Having thoroughly enjoyed Whiskey Island, this sequel was a disappointment to me. Perhaps it was my mood of the day, who knows. I may give it a try in the future, but at this point, I highly doubt it.
Ruth
This book is about three sisters from Cleveland. The family business is a saloon/restaurant that has been in business since the early 1900's. The family is Irish. One of the sisters is a single mom to an autistic toddler. She moves to Ireland to act as an in-home caregiver to a newly discovered relative, a job that will allow her to spend significant time teaching her son. While there she meets a handsome widower. Another sister runs the saloon and at the beginning of the book the saloon burns d...more
Ferne
I did not realize until reading some of the other reviews that this book is a sequel. It's easy to enjoy as a stand alone novel. This is my second read of a title by Emilie Richards and definitely an author that I'm glad to have discovered. The author has a lovely way of incorporating multiple story lines - a family of Irish heritage learning more of their genealogy both in Ireland and in the United States, the emotions of daily life from learning of a child's autism to a spouse/parent's grief i...more
Nancy
Good book

Good book

This was a great follow-up to the story of Whiskey Island. I wish there was more to this story. I always enjoy Emilie's books.
Beth
I liked the multi-generational story in Cleveland and Ireland. The story linked the life of an Irish immigrant in Prohibition era Cleveland with that of a modern Irish family running the family pub. I enjoyed the characters and the Prohibition stories. It was a great read to enjoy while bathing each morning.
Susan
Renee
Earlier this year I wrote about Richards' earlier book, Whiskey Island; this book takes up about two years later. I can't really talk about the plot of the book -- it would give away things from Whiskey Island -- but I can say that Richards' character studies are amazing. Even if you don't like romances, these books are definitely worth picking up (probably this one even more).
Haley
I would really give this 3.75 stars or closer to 4 stars. I really liked the author's style and the history that was incorporated into the novel. There was a lot going on with the history and at times you were trying to figure out how it all related. So it was a good mystery.
Doris Ernst
Pleasantly surprised, not my usual mystery, though it had some mystery to it. Book goes back and forth from old world Ireland to current day Ohio following one family's journey. Well written. Will read this author again.
Kristin
Whiskey island is one of my all time favorite books ever. This sequel did not disappoint. I loved having another chance to enjoy these characters.
Kristin
I didn't want this one to end. I loved this family, in the past and present. There wasn't a ton of action but this was a wonderful character story.
Gretchen
3.5. There was so much going on in this book--so many different stories. I enjoyed the last third finally as I settled in.
Janet
Loved this book. A rich story with great characters. Read it in a day. Enjoyed the twists and turns of the story.
Megan
The sequel to Whiskey Island tells us more about the lives of the sisters. Recently re-read!
Alex
I enjoyed this book about two families who came from Ireland and the mystery surrounding them.
Patty Rush
just started it but I don't know how to change the status from still reading to 'finished reading'.
Vikki
This is an Irish story about three sister's lives. This book is a sequel to Whiskey Island.
Marge
This is the sequel to Whiskey Island which you should read first.
Nancy
I enjoyed the switching back between present day & the past.
Cindy
Not as good as Whiskey Island, but good!
Barbara
A great followup to Whiskey Island.
Tammy-Anne
sweet well written story.
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-2
2nd Whiskey Island
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
  • Alligator Lake
  • The Will of Wisteria
  • An Ocean Apart. Robin Pilcher
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • Autumn in Scotland
  • There's Always Plan B
  • A Grave Mistake
  • Sweet Expectations
  • Little Chapel on the River: A Pub, a Town and the Search for What Matters Most
  • The Elevator
  • The Perfect Summer
  • Coffee And Kung Fu
  • The Knitting Diaries: The Twenty-First Wish\Coming Unraveled\Return to Summer Island
  • Waking Up in Dixie
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Rewriting Monday
  • Crazy Little Thing Called Love
  • Drive Me Wild
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, both women's fiction and mystery. I'm excited about my newest series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed last year by Somewhere Between Luck and Trust. The third book in the series, A River Too Wide, came out in July. The Color of Light debuts in August 2015.

Last year my husband and I moved from Arlington, Virginia...more
More about Emilie Richards...
Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album) Happiness Key (Happiness Key Series, #1) Lover's Knot Sister's Choice Iron Lace