Start by marking “The Devil's Footprints” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Footprints

The Devil's Footprints

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  640 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
The footprints were etched in the snow for miles, passing through walls and crossing rivers...appearing on the other side as though no barrier could stop them.

In 1922 a farmer in Adamant, Arkansas, awakes to a noise on his roof and finds his snow-blanketed yard marked with thousands of cloven footprints. The prints vanish with the melting snow...only to reappear seventy ye
Published September 17th 2012 by Mira Books (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Footprints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Footprints

Tracy
Jun 25, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of southern mystery and gothic horror.
A Sultry and Lyrical Horror
The legend tells a tale of a mysterious and bizarre horror. The year was 1922; the place, a small township in Arkansas. It was a frigid night, a night when snow blanketed the ground in a pristine carpet...a night when a man was jerked out of a sound sleep by what he first thought was a gunshot. When the sound came again, icy fingers of fear raked dissonant shudders down his spine and he realized that the loud, metallic noise actually sounded like a heavy footfall...on
Angela Wade
Jun 10, 2009 Angela Wade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense-romance
I would never in a million years classify this book as a romance novel. There is no sex, no kissing, no hugging, nothing. BUT...it is HANDS-DOWN one of the best suspense/thriller/horror novels I've read in a long time! The plot is different from the usual, and the author knows how to write descriptions that suck you in without hitting you over the head (no purple prose here!). Very glad I took a chance on an unknown (to me)!
Jessica
It had some of the same bad tropes as some of the other trash books I've read lately, but wasn't so heavy handed with them. I also didn't figure out who the killer was, so that was good. I'm glad there wasn't much romance. The only real problem that I had, was the fact that Sarah was a popular tattoo artist without any visible tattoos. WTF?

edit: Oh, I just remembered my initial disappointment that the book wasn't about a Jersey Devil type creature. I like psychological thrillers, but sometimes y
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 3.5 stars
*Genre* Mystery, Suspense, Psychological

*Review*

The Devil’s Footprints, by Amanda Stevens, begins in 1922 when an oil rig worker in the small town of Adamant, Arkansas discovers cloven footprints in the snow. They disappear soon thereafter but the residents believe that the Devil himself escaped from Hell after the wells were drilled into the earth.

Flash forward seventy years where the body of 16 year old Rachel DeLaune is found and once again, investigators find cloven footpri
Carolyn F.
I've read this author's other books and loved them, especially the The Restorer series which is soooo goood! So I thought I'd try some of her older books. This is a straightforward mystery thriller with no paranormal at all in it and it's almost right up there with the Graveyard Queen series. At the end of the book, I was wishing for an epilogue just so I could see what happens next to Sarah, with or without Sean.
Jenny
I found The Devils Footprints because it was paired with Dancers in the Dark by Charlaine Harris (Dead of Night: Dancers in the Dark\The Devil's Footprints paperback). Not wanting to spend $ on a short story, and knowing nothing at all about Amanda Stevens, I borrowed it from the library. Harris' story was good, I enjoyed it. I decided to skim through Stevens' story to get a feel for it. Soon I found myself reading instead of skimming. Turns out it’s not really a short story (384 pages) and it’s ...more
Laila
Sep 21, 2014 Laila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a smooth read for me. I quite enjoyed element of not knowing whether or not there was a supernatural force meddling with the events, and in this book you don’t really KNOW until the end. It had a lively cast, slightly predictable twists, grim atmosphere, and a wintry backdrop (although descriptions of winter in that part of the USA still boggle my mind).

Pro:
1. MC – I loved her as a character. She’s cold and intense and wears her armour well.
I found it simple to assume her point of vi
Chibineko
Oct 29, 2010 Chibineko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read Ms Steven's first book, I fully expected her second novel to be fully entertaining. Upon finishing this book 5 minutes ago, I can say that I was completely blown away! While her first book had one or two minor flaws to it (mostly with pacing), this book is pretty much perfectly done. The characters are compelling, the plotline is tight & flows well from one scene to the next, & I found myself truly wondering 'whodunit'. While one or two of the elements can be guessed at ahead ...more
Saturnus
För 14 år sedan blev Sarahs syster Rachel brutalt mördad. Man hittade djävulens fotspår över hela stället och kroppen var helt tatuerad och uppskuren.

Nu hittas när nästa kropp hittas på ett likadant sätt, blir Sarah återigen indragen. Hennes ex, Sean, vill hela tiden ha Sarah med på utredningen trots de känslor båda har för varandra.
De kommande offren är mördade på precis samma sätt som rachel, men värre är: alla är kopplade till Sarah. Gamla barndomsvänner, ungarna som mobbade henne, folk hon
Bonnie Anderson
I'm in two minds about this.
For a start, I bought it for $4 because I wanted something to read. Its a Mills & Boon book but its more of a suspense/thriller than romance. If any romance at all.
The main character Sarah is a character I can relate to almost completely in her emotional aspect; I have the same problems she does mentally and it actually hit a sensitive part of me that taught me some ways to deal with some of the emotional trauma I have.

Aside from that, the plot was predictable, e
Fani
Jan 19, 2012 Fani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it seems Amanda Stevens is light on the romance in all her books; I was hoping for a bit more heat than the Graveyard Queen has, but no lack here. However, that's the only complain I have about this book; the suspense and dark atmosphere were simply perfect! It's one of those rare cases where I couldn't guess the killer and there were points were everyone seemed a suspect to me. The plot was fast with many unexpected twists, a beautiful -if dark- description of New Orleans, and the charact ...more
Noran Miss Pumkin
I grew up devouring tales/lore of things that go bump in the night. The Jersey Devil left marks in the fresh morning snow in an area-witnessed by many, the track path making no logic. Meaning that it went up and down houses-leaving hoof prints on roofs and over walls=no other disturbances in the snow-noted again by many. I think I might try this book out.
Ann Aguirre
Jun 06, 2011 Ann Aguirre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent suspense. Barely any romance, so if that's what you're looking for, this isn't the one for you. However, it does have a fascinating relationship and fabulous characters. It's spooky, tense, and atmospheric.
Paula
Apr 16, 2013 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super creepy, scary, and thoroughly enjoyable! I loved it!
Carolyne
I am a huge fan of Amanda Steven's "Graveyard Queen" series. While anxiously awaiting publication of the fourth book, I decided to try this book out.

Overall, I did enjoy it. Yet, unlike her other series, I did feel there were some things about the book I found off. I definitely agree that it felt rushed to conclude and I had a hard time buying into the conclusion.

It was like setting a 'mystery is slowly taking shape' is it paranormal? is she going crazy? But then boom! This is who did it and yo
Pamela
Sep 26, 2011 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Darcy
Jan 02, 2010 Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, mystery
I got this book because I liked the authors other books, but as I read the back cover I wasn't sure about it and frankly expected to not finish it. So I was surprised when very quickly the book sucked me in and had me taking the journey along with Sarah.

Sarah's sister was murdered when she was a teen, this was discovered when Sarah herself came walking home covered in blood and not able to remember what happened. Her sister's body was found bringing to the forefront the underlying tensions in th
Book of Secrets ☕
THE DEVIL’S FOOTPRINTS is another creeptastic novel of suspense from Amanda Stevens, though there were a few things about it that niggled at me. I thought the mystery was very well done, and it wasn’t until I was close to the end that I could say for sure, “Ohhh! It was…”

I’m a big fan of Ms. Stevens’ tormented characters with their dark secrets, and Sarah DeLaune – yeah, she was tormented. She had a loveless childhood, then her old sister Rachel was brutally murdered, and the killer was never ca
Katey Cooper
Mar 04, 2012 Katey Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I really like this author Amanda Stevens I am currently reading her graveyard queen series. The book was really good but I find that the author like to reiterate a point over and over again in her books and this one was one exception, in fact she does it to where I would just skip over those points. I fancied the main character I thought she was well written, I didn’t understand why she came off as gloomy, and emotional I could only guess it was the way her family treated her. The storylin ...more
Lindsey
Oct 22, 2012 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
This book had me checking behind my back. Doing dishes with the slightly ajar door to the seldom used basement at my back...not a good idea. I was checking behind the shower curtain before going to the bathroom... then running up the stairs like the devil was after me. I love when a book can do that. It had been way too long since the last time I felt that from a story. I had no idea who the killer was- if it was supernatural or a real character. It only fell apart for me when I found out who th ...more
Cisz Strasters
Jan 04, 2016 Cisz Strasters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heerlijk om weer eens een goede thriller te lezen!!! Echt als van ouds een thriller waarbij je helemaal in het verhaal word meegezogen. Wat is er gebeurd, wie heeft het gedaan?! En waarom wilt niemand gewoon vertellen wat ze weten? Wat heeft ze gezien? En wat is er mis met haar vader (die had ik het liefst toch een pak rammel gegeven!!?). Ja, echt een heerlijk boek!!! Gelukkig heb ik er nog een paar van deze schrijfster in huis :)
Lucy Kate
I wish I could give a 2.5 because that seems more accurate. This book has plenty of flaws but it was a fast, summer-smut kind of read. Kept me interested to the end. I expected the ending to be disappointing and I was right about that.
Lana K Bennett
May 02, 2014 Lana K Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this one down

This book should never be started unless you have time to read it all the way through. It really kept me guessing until the very end. I highly recommend it.
Jolene Green
Apr 19, 2014 Jolene Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of mysteries and I loved that this one kept me guessing. There were a lot of believable possibilities. My only criticism is that it ended adruptly. A prolog would have been nice.
Vince Liaguno
Stevens imbues Footprints with the same tight plotting that made Dollmaker so suspenseful a read, and adds an ensemble cast chock full of red herrings to skillfully up the mystery quotient. She ably takes on a flawed heroine in Sarah, who is so paralyzed by the uncertainties of her past that she finds herself sleepwalking through life - reliant on prescription medication and unable to maintain a serious relationship. Indeed, deft characterization is one of Stevens’ strong suits, as she ably prov ...more
Barbara Harden
Jan 19, 2016 Barbara Harden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!! First time I have read this Author and So Glad I Did. You will not be able to guess the ending to the last few pgs.Dead Bodies-Bloody crime scines-cloven footprints- What is going on?
Jeannine
May 23, 2015 Jeannine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely read thriller/mysteries because I often find they are neither thrilling nor mysterious, but The Devil's Footprints was both. And it was kind of scary too. So job well done, Amanda Stevens!
Joy
Feb 19, 2015 Joy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Long boring story that hints at something supernatural and turns out to be tediously mundane. I hate being lead on in hopes of a good creature feature.
Ashley Marie
Apr 22, 2014 Ashley Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and found it hard to put down. maybe because I read mostly at night and it had me at the edge of my seat so to speak.
Christina (AKA Babbling)
Sarah DeLaune was always an outcast, even in her own family. Rachel was Judge James DeLaune's pride and joy. There was nothing that Sarah could say or do to make her father love her. The only person who understood her was Ashe Cain, the mysterious stranger she met one day while out walking her dog, and never saw again after her sister's murder. Sarah begins to question whether he was real or not, and if he wasn't, does that make her the killer?

To read the rest of my review, please visit Christin
  • The Way Back: Inside the Mind of a Multiple Personality
  • Every Waking Moment
  • Breaking Free: My Life with Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • Amongst Ourselves: A Self-Help Guide to Living with Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • The C.I.A. Doctors: Human Rights Violations by American Psychiatrists
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • Bitter Memories: A Memoir of Heartache & Survival (Memories, #1)
  • Nowhere to Hide
  • The Magic Castle: A Mother's Harrowing True Story Of Her Adoptive Son's Multiple Personalities-- And The Triumph Of Healing
  • Hush
  • Becoming One: A Story of Triumph Over Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • Fraidy Hole
  • The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook
  • Poison Ink
  • Midnight Rain
  • Whisper of Warning (The Glass Sisters, #2)
  • Fractured
  • The Stranger in the Mirror: Dissociation--the Hidden Epidemic
Amanda Stevens is the award-winning author of over fifty novels, including the modern gothic series, The Graveyard Queen. Her books have been described as eerie and atmospheric, “a new take on the classic ghost story.” Born and raised in the rural south, she now resides in Houston, Texas, where she enjoys binge-watching, bike riding and the occasional Horror Night with friends.

The Graveyard Queen
More about Amanda Stevens...

“You can’t fight evil in the dark, Sarah. The only way you can truly defeat it is to bring it into the light.” 2 likes
“Sometimes I wonder if we can ever really overcome the past. It’s what makes us who we are. One small thing done differently and we become someone else. It’s like the butterfly effect. One moment can change history. One decision can change everything.” 0 likes