Start by marking “A Woman's Wisdom: How the Book of Proverbs Speaks to Everything” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Woman's Wisdom: How ...
Lydia Brownback

A Woman's Wisdom: How the Book of Proverbs Speaks to Everything

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  26 reviews

* handling our material resources w
Unknown Binding, 285 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Crossway

To ask other readers questions about A Woman's Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman's Wisdom

I've spent quite a few weeks slowly working my way through A Woman's Wisdom: How the Book of Proverbs Speaks to Everything, absorbing all the nuggets of wisdom it contains.

And of course, wisdom is exactly what this study focuses on. Author Lydia Brownback takes readers through the book of Proverbs with the perspective that true wisdom is found only in Christ:

"Improving our lives is not the objective of Proverbs, even though following it's instructions will generally better our lot. The point of
A Woman’s Wisdom
Lydia Brownback

Book Summary: Advice books are no short-lived trend, even though much of the advice parading as “wisdom” proves shallow in the long run. What we need is biblical wisdom, and even more than that we need hearts set on the One who governs all our practicalities. The book of Proverbs unlocks the key to both, helping us to face very real challenges such as:
• handling our freedom, independence, and material resources wisely
• keeping ourselves sexually pure
• practicing
Stuck in the Old Testament next to the beautiful Psalms, the Books of Proverbs can often be overlooked. Afterall, we might think, do we really need 31 chapters in a row about wisdom? Author Lydia Brownback has written A Woman's Wisdom to explain why Proverbs really is important to us all.

This book is divided into three main parts with several chapters in each section:
*What is wisdom and why does it matter?
What, exactly, is Wisdom?
Why Folly is Really Bad
*Six things wise women know
Wise Women Know
Mercedes Cordero
This is so much more than a book: it's an in-depth look at the book of Proverbs and the Bible in general on the matter of wisdom; it's a Bible study for you, your Bible group, the women's group in your church that will help you grow in your understanding of who you are and who you should grow to be in the Lord. This is a great tool for any church and any individual seeking to be more Christlike. It's a look at wisdom as a result of someone who fears and trusts in God and believes in Jesus as her ...more
Wow what an awesome book! I loved every page and will be reading this book again and again. There is so much to learn and it is very easy to understand. The author, Lydia Brownback, does an excellent job making this a definite read for every woman. We all need wisdom in different areas of our lives. This book will show you that by understanding Christ, we will better understand the principles He is teaching in the book of Proverbs.

Every chapter has helpful information but the last chapter of th
She starts, as should all books of this sort, by laying a clear foundation of the gospel, and clearly laying out the truth upon which all studies of wisdom must be built: the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom. In the Preface, she says, “The point of [Proverbs] is to direct us to the Giver of wisdom. . . .Wisdom is a Person, and wise is what we become through our union with him. The outworkings of wisdom – it’s fruit – discussed in the following chapters are all rooted in this truth.” W ...more
Although the book of Proverbs was written as advice to young men in ancient Israel, it provides wisdom for all human beings. In A Woman’s Widsom: How the Book of Proverbs Speaks to Everything, Lydia Brownback takes that advice and applies it to the lives of 21st century women. But this is not just a book of helpful hints for an easier life. As Lydia writes in the preface:
Because the book of Proverbs provides us with a poetic road map of how God has designed the world to work, following its pract
This is not really a book to sit down and read it is more of a Bible Study. Lydia Brownback focuses on the Book of Proverbs, and systematically goes through different areas of life connecting each area to the advice in Proverbs, backing it up with other scripture. The book is very interesting, but rather difficult to read. It is written more to younger women, but there are parts that apply to women of all ages. It is more like lifelong advice from an older relative or a mother that turns your fo ...more
Pretty decent book on the subject of developing wisdom. Disagreed with some points, but that wouldn't prevent me from recommending it to other women. As a book targeted specifically for ladies, the knee-jerk reaction would be to write an entire work on the Proverbs 31 woman; it's been done before. But Lydia sidesteps that approach and adeptly conveys the how's and why's of wisdom--all across the book of Proverbs. She explains the biblical description, the method of obtaining it and explores the ...more
Interested in wisdom but feeling daunted about "God's Wisdom"? Feeling chasing after something completely intangible? Well, ladies AND gents (yes, even though this is geared towards women, every word speaks true even to the opposite gender), this is an amazing book, filled with every day insights and encouragements. it's not at all like a devotional where we must read then reflect, per day, per feeling of that day, etc. This is a well thought out and so realistic, it's like...WAIT, WHY DON"T I P ...more
The author takes the book of Proverbs and applies it to women. It's probably not a new concept, but it's a great one. I enjoyed the practical applications and how each section and piece of wisdom was broken down into something we could use and apply today.

This book would make a great study guide for a women's Bible study group. The chapters are relatively short and a study guide is included in the back. There are nine weeks if using this as a weekly study guide.

I think my only minor complaint is
This book is not just for married women. It is for all women, single or married. You could even go through this book with your high school age daughter. I love the book of Proverbs and enjoyed the insight Lydia brought on what makes a woman wise. I highly recommend
This is an excellent introduction to wisdom, and Brownback talks about the importance of connecting to Christ as the source of all wisdom. However, the following application chapters are all about how-to-become-wise. The application misses the depth of being intimately connected to the gospel, which is the only hope any of us have to become biblically wise.
Covered a wide variety of topics with varying depth, including the one that most affected me on the power of speech. Would likely have been more fruitful for me, I think, had I done the study guide type questions that come in the back, but instead I mostly just read through.
Faith Jones
I enjoyed this book; however, I felt like Ms. Brownback failed to truly connect with me and the group of girls with whom I read the book. Her tone came across as judgmental at times, and we felt as though she was speaking down to us. More examples from her personal life would have helped her seem more human to us.
Leigh Ann
This is one of the best studies I've ever done on Proverbs. Good for any age, worked through it with two teenage girls who enjoyed it and will also be doing it with my book club. Has a study guide in the back if you want to do it as a Bible study also. Very well done!!
loved this book! Loved how the author clearly states where wisdom comes from... "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." (Prov 9:10) Really enjoyed the 6 things broken down in part 2. An easy read, with great study guide questions, and a book that will inspire.
Clear and pointed wisdom from the book of Proverbs. Even though the book is clearly directed toward women, there is much for men to learn from it as well. I especially appreciated her chapter on the noble wife of Proverbs 31.
Becky Pliego
Excellent book. My daughter and I had many wonderful and meaningful conversations as we read it together.

Excellent and spiritually challenging book for any woman who desires to grow in godly character.
This was an excellent book. I would recommend this book to everyone.
Really good. Not amazing, but really helpful.
Great book, one I'll want to reread.
Costa Mesa

Women's Small Group
Christina Walsh
Great bible study for women.
Cassandra Hensarling
Cassandra Hensarling marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Sandy marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Housewife Theologian: How the Gospel Interrupts the Ordinary
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • The Promised One: Seeing Jesus in Genesis (Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament)
  • The World-Tilting Gospel: Embracing a Biblical Worldview & Hanging on Tight
  • John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides
  • These Strange Ashes
  • Pursue the Intentional Life
  • Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything
  • God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life (Focal Point)
  • Radical Womanhood: Feminine Faith in a Feminist World
  • Home-Making
  • Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books
  • Face to Face: Meditations on Friendship and Hospitality
Lydia Brownback is the author of several books, including A Woman's Wisdom: How the Book of Proverbs Speaks to Everything, set for release in April 2012. She is director of editorial, book division, at a Christian book publisher, and in the past she served as the writer-in-residence for Rev. Alistair Begg and as the broadcast media manager for Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals in Philadelphia, w ...more
More about Lydia Brownback...

“We aren't going to choose paths of wisdom if we don't trust the One who has marked out those paths for us. Fear of the Lord is trust in the Lord” 6 likes
“The more we soak ourselves in God’s Word, the more we will be able to readily lay hold of the wisdom we need for particular circumstances.” 2 likes