Start by marking “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” as Want to Read:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket #1)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  475,478 Ratings  ·  7,570 Reviews
The gates of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory are opening at last . . . and only five children will be allowed inside.
Published August 1st 2007 by Puffin Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, please sign up.

Dayanara its about a boy who cant afford anything found a golden ticket in order to go to the chocolate factory but u can read it and find more about it....
Diana Quenaysheia you can only rate the books here and write your review. You also can read the description of each book to see the story.
Tiernan Brennan…more
Tiernan Brennan there's no need to be rude, you need to be better with people(less)

Tonight I just finished reading Charlie and the Chocolate factory with my son. This is the first chapter book I've read all the way through with him. And it was a ton of fun.

First off, I'll admit that I love the movie. I grew up with it. (I'm talking about the Gene Wilder version, of course.)I'll even admit to liking the movie better than the book. Which is something that doesn't happen very often with me.

That said, the book is really, really good. It held my four-year old's attention. It's si
Grace Tjan
Jess, my 7 year old little girl, gives it 5 stars.

Comments while reading:

“How come someone is called ‘Gloop’? And ‘Salt’? Isn’t that the thing that we use for cooking?”

“What is ‘spoiled’? Oh, okay, I’m NOT spoiled.”

“Huh, Grandpa Joe is 96 years old?! How come that he’s even older than my grandpa?”

“How come Charlie’s dad can’t work at the toothpaste factory anymore? What does ‘bankrupt’ mean?”

“Will Charlie ever get the golden ticket?”

“Yes! Charlie found it!”

“Mr. Wonka looks like a clown!”

“How com
Aug 29, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gene Wilder June 11, 1933 - August 29, 2016 - Goodbye Gene, you'll always be Willy Wonka to me.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl first published in 1964 was an immediate children’s classic and has inspired two film versions.

I was surprised to see that neither of the films came close to Dahl’s text. Dahl’s Willy Wonka is a dark creature who killed children, crushed their bones and baked them into the candy bars.

Just kidding.

This is of course a delightful children’s / young adult fan
Bookworm Sean
I was planning on writing an extremely argumentative review explaining how sadistically vile Willie Wonka is, and how his god-like complex ruined the lives of four flawed children. But that seems insensitive at the moment.

Instead I shall simply say that Gene Wilder dominated his performance as Willie Wonka. He carried all the outward charm, the charisma and the playfulness, but still managed to portray the suggestions of darkness that permeate this character’s heart. Wonka is far from a good ma
Slightly odd story of virtuous poverty rewarded by evil capitalist who caused the poverty by firing all his workers in favour of employing non-human immigrants.

Unemployment from the chocolate factory, apparently the only consumer of labour in the otherwise stagnant economy of Charlie's home town, (proving I suppose that an excess of chocolate is really bad for you both economically and physically) requires that all of his grandparents have to live and sleep in one bed while the family slowly sta
Jason Koivu
Sep 07, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, food, humor, fantasy
I was ten years old and already the magic was gone from the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, leprechauns, Santa Claus and his buddy the Krampus. All was stripped of its power to enthrall. Heck, even sex had been demystified years prior.

Then along came Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It gloried in candy, my number one passion of the day. But not only that, eating candy was the means to getting even MORE candy!

Ah, the golden ticket. How, oh, how I longed for it to be a real thing! I would've tr
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
If you ever want to cheer yourself up, go back and read a book you loved and read over and over as a child. For me, this is one book that will always be better than any movie they make from it. Nothing Hollywood does with special effects will ever be as magical as what Roald Dahl did with just plain old words.

It has been MANY long years since I last looked at this book, but it all came back to me as soon as I turned to the first page and saw the illustrations. I was immediately carried away by

"And now," said Willy Wonka, "we're going to see something extra special... my Metaphorical Candy Room!" He flung open the doors, and the five children peeked inside. Augustus Gloop beamed with delight.

"Indeed it is, indeed it is," said Willy Wonka proudly. "Three point three million of them! One for every Muslim in the United States! But, before you eat any, I must warn you... some of them are POISONED!"

"How many?" asked Violet Bea
Since the Swiss make the best chocolate figures in the world, I thought I would pick up a few to take with me to England. I was originally only intending to buy a couple of chocolate rabbits, engagingly goofy-looking with big buck teeth and natty bow-ties, but the selection was so enticing that I eventually walked out with four rabbits, a chicken with a marzipan waistcoat and a chocolate chalet. I explained to the nice assistant that they would be accompanying me to London later that day, and sh ...more
Jul 21, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, classics
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl is an obvious classic in my book. Besides the fact its been around for awhile already, it definitely has that magic factor that pulls you in. Anyone with even a remnant left of their kid's heart in them, will love this book. I believe this story, not the book, but at least the story has a huge following, due in part to the movie starring Gene Wilder. I love Johnny Depp, but he lacks the whimsical weirdness of the previous Wonka and is just weird. H ...more
Vitor Martins
Demorei bastante pra pegar esse livro pra ler achando que, por já ter visto os filmes e o musical muitas vezes, eu não encontraria nada de novo nessa história.
Mas como eu estava enganado!

Nenhuma adaptação, por mais fiel que ela seja, poderia substituir a escrita gostosa e brilhante do Roald Dahl. Mesmo sabendo tudo que ia acontecer na história, cada capítulo era uma surpresa muito gostosa.

O livro me deu uma visão muito diferente a respeito do Charlie e do Willy Wonka. Descobri um Charlie muito
Feb 04, 2014 Ariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS GREAT! I've never read any Roald Dahl before, but of course I've heard of the legend and so when I was assigned to read this for my Children's Lit class I was super pumped. And best of all, I enjoyed it! There's always the fear that books won't live up to the hype, but I think this did.

I loved Charlie and his Grandpa as the main protagonists: they were humble, and sweet, and smart. I loved Willy Wonka: he was energetic and excited and brilliant and sarcastic as all hell. And I loved how
Feb 10, 2016 Heba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يكفي إن الابتسامة لم تفارقني طوال قراءتها :)
وعليك ألا تشعر بالخيبة ..فلا تدري ما الذي يُخبئه لك القدر :)
This book was quite disturbing. I mean Augustus Gloop, who apparently had a nasty cold, completely contaminated the entire chocolate river, and then Wonka scoops out cup-fulls for Charlie and Grandpa Joe to drink, and they do. Nasty! You just know that Augustus peed himself from fear when he fell in, too!

I really enjoyed this, with the exception of the insanely long Oompa-Loompa songs. I just don't like reading verse, no matter how clever it is, so I skimmed these sections. Sometimes pages of t
Apr 01, 2016 emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't decide what to rate this!!! It seems odd rating it, because even though I didn't read it as a child I still know the story so well since the movies (well, the first one) is adapted so nicely. It's a great story. Really dark, actually, darker when you read it, but it still feels weird rating a story I already know so well. It didn't feel new, just nice and comforting because it was familiar.

I had this as 3 stars when I was writing but now I'm changing to 4, I don't know why, they aren't
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
Harry's tormentor? Or, Charlie's mother? Or, Marla Sanger?
Jan 22, 2016 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-16
This one has to be one of my favorite stories. Such a fun, quick and easy read. Roald Dahl's writing style is super entertaining. Can't wait to read more by him.
Eslam Ahmed
Feb 14, 2016 Eslam Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eslam by: Heba
جميلة جداً :))
نفسي ف الشوكولاتة :D
Nicay │  The Nerdy side of a Queen

I am a grown up woman yet I prefer reading middle grade books. Why I am reading this kind of genre? Am I crazy? Am I not in the mood to read deeper books? My answer was NO. Simply because, reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory doesn’t give not only light read but it gives lessons that sometimes adult like us seems to forget.

It was really fascinating and somehow hilarious that this kind of children books were the one gave me realizations that I admittedly forget of how important great values
May 26, 2016 Carmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Come non dare 5 stelle ad un capolavoro della narrativa per ragazzi?
Dahl esalta i valori di altruismo e generosità, condannando i vizi dei figli, spesso corroborati dal permissivismo di genitori sempre più assenti nell'ambito familiare.
L'idea della fabbrica è un pretesto, incredibilmente suggestivo, sulla quale l'autore costruisce la semplice ed importante morale di fondo.
Islam Salem
May 18, 2016 Islam Salem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بأنصح أي واحد أو واحدة بيفكروا يعملوا رچيم ، لا يتفرجوا على الفيلم ولا يقرأوا الرواية :)
Jan 03, 2016 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with all of Roald Dahl's stories so far, I've seen the movie before I've read the book.

After catching up on the stories I already knew (Matilda and The Witches) it was now time to also read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory of course.

And what a delight! Roald Dahl really is a masterful storyteller! He makes one dive deep into the story and experience everything as if the reader was actually there.

This is the almost heartbreaking story of a boy growing up in a poor family, who therefore is ver
Aug 19, 2016 Klinta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full Review.

I'm not entirely sure, if I have read it before or my only encounter with the story has been the film (2005), but nevertheless, this exceeded my expectations.

I could see the lessons author tried to give, I could see the pain and poorness and almost started to cry. The unjust world and how things are run in it. And well honestly my only objection was 'winning' the unknown competition. You can't win, if everyone except you were tested, that usually means cheating.

I loved Oompa-Loompa
Amgd AboZeid
Jun 01, 2016 Amgd AboZeid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
يبدو ان قراءه قصص الأطفال الان هي ما تجعلنا نشعر بالسعادة ولو قليلاً دوناً عن اى شئ اخر
Jul 28, 2011 Cary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Finally, Im done reading this book. Ive been wanting to read this ever since I learned that the movie of the same title was based on this book. ANother reason why I want to read this is because it is also included in the BBC big list along with another Children's Classic, Charlotte's Web which was also adapted into a movie.

The story is about the adventure of Charlie Bucket and four other children who won the Golden Ticket and was given the privilege to spend a day inside the largest chocolate fa
Jun 09, 2012 Meem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Queer but quirky.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was perfect for me when I was little. But when I read it again a few years later, from an eerie blend of wistfulness and caffeine...I became aware of a few things that the child me hadn't really deigned to perceive.

1. Food fetish Alert. (It's becoming a cliche for this genre. Like eyes in chick lit.)

2. What's with the sexism? Has anyone else noticed how Dahl always make the fathers have a certain dry, witty sense of humor that is clearly lackin

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one of those books in the English dominated world that you've either read it as a child or you saw a film version. Re-reading it for my university course I was struck by how, despite the simplistic prose I could still see and capture the spirit of what Roald Dahl created. As a result I think I could add this to a list of the modern fairy tales for the 20th Century and beyond. Think about it: it's a rags-to-riches story aimed at children where an impoverished
Aug 04, 2016 Carlos. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Supongo que este libro me gustaría muchísimo más si lo hubiese leído de pequeño y ahora hiciese una relectura, pero no ha sido así. A ver, me ha gustado, ha sido un libro muy dulce y del que he disfrutado bastante para lo cortito que es. Muy divertido y muy rápido de leer.
Pero ya.
Sep 14, 2016 Warda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had so much fun reading this. Just like Matilda, this book was heartwarming, hilarious and had some heartfelt messages that I just loved. He's such a brilliant storyteller and has the perfect balance of entertainment and lessons in his books.
Aug 29, 2007 Frederick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People of all ages, but only if they see a virtue in laughter.
Shelves: roald
My second-grade teacher read this aloud to the class five years after this novel was published. She held up the book to show us the great line drawings as she read. I'm not sure if current editions have those particular line drawings, but there was lots of cross-hatching in the drawings. [These drawings were by Joseph Schindelman, and most current editions do NOT feature these. They've replaced them with drawings by another artist -- Fred's note, 8/29/07.] Tim Burton's movie reflected the drawin ...more
The Better Book C...: May: Children's Books 3 3 Sep 05, 2016 02:06PM
Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp? 177 825 Aug 30, 2016 03:55PM
HMSA Reads: Book Review: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 1 7 Aug 24, 2016 10:49PM
  • Pluk van de Petteflet
  • The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1)
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (The Herdmans #1)
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • De kleine kapitein
  • The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)
  • Last Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #6)
  • Piotr
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Tom's Midnight Garden
  • Three Tales of My Father's Dragon
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Bartholomew and the Oobleck

More about Roald Dahl...

Charlie Bucket (2 books)
  • Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Charlie Bucket, #2)

“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray,
Go throw your TV set away,
And in its place you can install
A lovely bookshelf on the wall.
Then fill the shelves with lots of books.”
“Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called canibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies.” 934 likes