Start by marking “Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way: Timeless Strategies from the First Lady of Courage” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Leadership the Eleanor...
Robin Gerber

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Eleanor Roosevelt's remarkable ability to confront and overcome hurdles-be they political, personal, or social-made her one of the greatest leaders of the last century, if not all time. In "Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way," author and scholar Robin Gerber examines the values, tactics, and beliefs that enabled Eleanor Roosevelt to bring about tremendous change-in herse ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Portfolio (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way

I decided I had to read this book when I heard the author lecture at Scripps College. It's a cross between a manual on how to become a good leader and a biography of Eleanor Roosevelt. It was written for younger women, but I was still completely inspired by it.
Omar Halabieh
As the title indicates this book is about the life and stories of First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, with a particular focus on her leadership abilities. As the author states in his introduction: "Eleanor Roosevelt holds an unassailable place as the most respected and well-known woman of the last century. In the year before her death in 1962, international polls repeatedly showed her to be the world's most admired woman."

The book is divided into 12 sections, each focusing on one aspect of ER's leader
Dec 09, 2012 Géraldine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Géraldine by: Found at FDR Hyde Park Home Gift Shop
I just started this book and have not gotten into the advice section. Eleanor's childhood biography is inspirational on its own. Her ability to overcome the emotional adversity she experienced as a child is inspiring in itself. The book is great for someone starting into leadership, like an at home mom or someone who has been trying to move from a less experienced or less public position to one where confidence and assertiveness is needed. I found it ultimately interesting, especially if you hav ...more
Sally Kenney
This book has a lot to offer. I don't think the personal leadership lessons and the random lessons from other women leaders work woven into a narrative about ER, but the lessons from ER and the literature reviewed makes this a book I would use in class. Wish there were more overt lessons about Lorena Hickock.
2.5 stars.

I picked this up because I wanted to learn more about Mrs. Roosevelt without committing to a 1500-page scholarly work. The author's summary of Eleanor's life & career are nice, but when she tries to impart some wisdom about leadership strategies the writing becomes strained. (not to mention her outlook seems a tad outdated for a 2002 publication) This book is not altogether terrible but definitely falls short.
Almeda Riley
This is a "must read" for anyone who thinks Eleanor Roosevelt was an interesting wonderful smart woman who was say ahead of her time, or who aspires to be a wise intelligent leader herself. The author uses Eleanor's life and experience, including the effort Eleanor had to put into learning her role and the rules of the road in a time when women for the most part weren't expected to be leaders. I recommend it highly!
One chapter talks about leadership skills that are learned as a mother apply in the workplace. And how those skills actually make you more valuable in the workplace. Oh yeah! That got my attention an dmade me like this book all the more. How validating! I have a few more chapters (but the book got "tidied" and now I can't find it . . . Malachi is known to stuff things in weird, random places.) It will turn up, I hope!
Tabitha Sharp
Read this book for an Athenian Dialogue. Partly frustrated with it because there were a lot of references to other people who didn't have anything to do with Eleanor. She was a great lady who could have filled her own book without them. It had a lot of good thoughts on Leadership. One great thought from the book, "Work is easier to carry if your heart is involved." ER
This was one of many required readings for a leadership class. I thought this was a very straight forward and easy read. It helps you understand Eleanor and it is very inspiring. This book walks you through ways to be your better self and a better leader. I recommend to anyone who is interested in Eleanor or interested in self improvement.
Learned there was a lot about Eleanor Roosevelt that I didn't know. Also learned that I don't much care for the writings of Robin Gerber (based on this one book). She did well enough when she kept to the history (as far as I know), but when she went into today's leadership and women in general, I wondered how well she actually knew us.
An incredible book I could read over and over again,...if I didn't have more books to read! Written very well. I loved how the historical aspects were written to be applied to today's leadership world. Eleanor Roosevelt Rocks!!!!Definitely a keeper!
Kaneesha Danae
I have this book to thank for wrapping my head around leading effectively. It is often hard to take a position of authority and do it gracefully, but this book really highlights aspects of Eleanor's life that we all can relate to, and learn from.
I loved this book. It's not especially challenging and the take-aways are somewhat obvious, but there are some valuable lessons to learn from Eleanor Roosevelt, especially as a female leader before her time.
Karen Ann
This is a must read for all women of all ages! It should be required reading in high school. I understand why Eleanor Roosevelt is so important to American history as well as women's history.
Anne Cummings
Not much new here. Leadership principles are very basic. The biographical sections about her life are good -- but led me to expect something more insightful about leadership.
Wonderful strategies I'm sure, but after nine years, I can't think of one of them. I love Eleanor so much that I am going to reread this book.
This is a fantastic book about being a leader in life and business.
This first lady is one that I wish I could have met.
Not everything I hoped for but interesting none the less.
Easy and fast read with a few good quotes.
Barb Gant
In my eyes you cannot beat Eleanor.
Helpful. Motivating. Empowering.
Janice Christen-Whitney
Janice Christen-Whitney marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Nisha added it
Nov 15, 2015
Emily Meeks
Emily Meeks is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2015
Catrina Smith
Catrina Smith is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2015
Reshma marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Smiles added it
Oct 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Fun of It
  • My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62
  • Wide Awake: Buddhism for the New Generation
  • Why Managing Sucks and How to Fix It: A Results-Only Guide to Taking Control of Work, Not People
  • The Night My Mother Met Bruce Lee: Observations on Not Fitting In
  • The Family Virtues Guide: Simple Ways to Bring Out the Best in Our Children and Ourselves
  • Lament of the Lamb, Volume 1
  • Forgiveness Is a Choice
  • Healing Anxiety and Depression
  • Boundless Energy: The Complete Mind/Body Program for Overcoming Chronic Fatigue
  • Miserly Moms: Living on One Income in a Two-Income Economy
  • How to Think Theologically
  • Sofia
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • Grace and Grit: My Fight for Equal Pay and Fairness at Goodyear and Beyond
  • The Importance of Being Earnest: And Other Plays (Modern Library Classics) (Lady Windermere's Fan, An Ideal Husband, The Importance of Being Earnest)
  • God Will Make a Way: What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do
  • Devil's Trill (Daniel Jacobus Mystery, #1)