Blank-133x176
Leadership the Eleanor...

Robin Gerber

Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way: Timeless Strategies from the First Lady of Courage

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Eleanor Roosevelt's remarkable ability to confront and overcome hurdles-be they political, personal, or social-made her one of the greatest leaders of the last century, if not all time. In "Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way," author and scholar Robin Gerber examines the values, tactics, and beliefs that enabled Eleanor Roosevelt to bring about tremendous change-in herse...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Portfolio (first published 2001)

Brittany
I decided I had to read this book when I heard the author lecture at Scripps College. It's a cross between a manual on how to become a good leader and a biography of Eleanor Roosevelt. It was written for younger women, but I was still completely inspired by it.
Omar Halabieh
As the title indicates this book is about the life and stories of First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, with a particular focus on her leadership abilities. As the author states in his introduction: "Eleanor Roosevelt holds an unassailable place as the most respected and well-known woman of the last century. In the year before her death in 1962, international polls repeatedly showed her to be the world's most admired woman."

The book is divided into 12 sections, each focusing on one aspect of ER's leader...more
Géraldine
Dec 09, 2012 Géraldine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Géraldine by: Found at FDR Hyde Park Home Gift Shop
I just started this book and have not gotten into the advice section. Eleanor's childhood biography is inspirational on its own. Her ability to overcome the emotional adversity she experienced as a child is inspiring in itself. The book is great for someone starting into leadership, like an at home mom or someone who has been trying to move from a less experienced or less public position to one where confidence and assertiveness is needed. I found it ultimately interesting, especially if you hav...more
Shannon
2.5 stars.

I picked this up because I wanted to learn more about Mrs. Roosevelt without committing to a 1500-page scholarly work. The author's summary of Eleanor's life & career are nice, but when she tries to impart some wisdom about leadership strategies the writing becomes strained. (not to mention her outlook seems a tad outdated for a 2002 publication) This book is not altogether terrible but definitely falls short.
Almeda Riley
This is a "must read" for anyone who thinks Eleanor Roosevelt was an interesting wonderful smart woman who was say ahead of her time, or who aspires to be a wise intelligent leader herself. The author uses Eleanor's life and experience, including the effort Eleanor had to put into learning her role and the rules of the road in a time when women for the most part weren't expected to be leaders. I recommend it highly!
Shauna
One chapter talks about leadership skills that are learned as a mother apply in the workplace. And how those skills actually make you more valuable in the workplace. Oh yeah! That got my attention an dmade me like this book all the more. How validating! I have a few more chapters (but the book got "tidied" and now I can't find it . . . Malachi is known to stuff things in weird, random places.) It will turn up, I hope!
This was one of many required readings for a leadership class. I thought this was a very straight forward and easy read. It helps you understand Eleanor and it is very inspiring. This book walks you through ways to be your better self and a better leader. I recommend to anyone who is interested in Eleanor or interested in self improvement.
Sheila
Learned there was a lot about Eleanor Roosevelt that I didn't know. Also learned that I don't much care for the writings of Robin Gerber (based on this one book). She did well enough when she kept to the history (as far as I know), but when she went into today's leadership and women in general, I wondered how well she actually knew us.
Krista
An incredible book I could read over and over again,...if I didn't have more books to read! Written very well. I loved how the historical aspects were written to be applied to today's leadership world. Eleanor Roosevelt Rocks!!!!Definitely a keeper!
Kaneesha Danae
I have this book to thank for wrapping my head around leading effectively. It is often hard to take a position of authority and do it gracefully, but this book really highlights aspects of Eleanor's life that we all can relate to, and learn from.
Allison
I loved this book. It's not especially challenging and the take-aways are somewhat obvious, but there are some valuable lessons to learn from Eleanor Roosevelt, especially as a female leader before her time.
Karen Ann
This is a must read for all women of all ages! It should be required reading in high school. I understand why Eleanor Roosevelt is so important to American history as well as women's history.
Anne Cummings
Not much new here. Leadership principles are very basic. The biographical sections about her life are good -- but led me to expect something more insightful about leadership.
Dayla
Wonderful strategies I'm sure, but after nine years, I can't think of one of them. I love Eleanor so much that I am going to reread this book.
Amy
This is a fantastic book about being a leader in life and business.
Loree
This first lady is one that I wish I could have met.
MJ
Not everything I hoped for but interesting none the less.
Kathy
Easy and fast read with a few good quotes.
Barb Gant
In my eyes you cannot beat Eleanor.
Tara
Helpful. Motivating. Empowering.
Erica Rhinehart
Erica Rhinehart is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jul 01, 2014
Diane Francis
Diane Francis marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Kellie Reynolds
Kellie Reynolds marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jun 09, 2014
Renee
Renee is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Barbie and Ruth Eleanor vs. Ike: A Novel Katharine Graham: The Leadership Journey of an American Icon Eleanor vs. Ike Eleanor vs. Ike