Start by marking “The Real History Behind the Templars” as Want to Read:
The Real History Behind the Templars

The Real History Behind the Templars

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The medieval historian who revealed The Real History Behind the Da Vinci Code uncloaks the Templars.

In the year 1119, these noblemen found their calling as protectors of the faithful on a dangerous pilgrimage to newly conquered Jerusalem. Now, historian Sharan Newman elucidates the mysteries and misconceptions of the Templars, from their true first founding and role in t
Published September 4th 2007 by Berkley (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Real History Behind the Templars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real History Behind the Templars

Elizabeth
Absolutely brilliant. It's well set out and cuts through absolute mountains of dubious information about the Templars (and helicopters :-)! ) to bring the reader the straightforward no frills history. It's clear and simple. But easy to read doesn't mean under-researched or basic, not one bit. It has detailed references and understanding in depth which is distilled for the reader into handy chapter subjects. There's a chapter on the assassins for example, one on the grand masters with biographies ...more
Michael
I have never really looked into the Templars and thought I should find a book that helps give a good introduction to the Templars. After reading this book, it fulfilled my needs and then some. It not only gave historical references, but it also discussed the myths about the Templars and whether there was any accuracy to the myths. Sharan Newman was not afraid to dispel events that weren't accurate based on historical data, but she also knew when to leave events "open" that didn't have any histor ...more
Daniel Casey
less interesting and scholarly than I had hoped & more History Channel's Ancient Aliens-esque
Igor
The book is a series of more or less disconnected short chapters with no chronological or probably any other order; as such, it reads as a poorly written high school textbook. It could still be valuable though if it were a trustworthy, well-researched work - but is it? I have my doubts. Sharan Newman stresses throughout the work the importance of footnotes and critical reading. Well I will look into one in detail.

The following is, quoted verbatim, the footnote 23 from the 48th chapter:
Sharon
"This book is an attempt to give the known facts about the Knights Templar, from their beginnings in 1119 or 1120 to the dissolution in 1312 and beyond." The order's purpose was to "defend the poor and the churches" of the Holy Land from the Saracens or Moslems of the Arab peninsula. They believed that by fighting the infidel and protecting the pilgrims visiting the holy sites they would gain remission of their sins and have the hope of heaven. Over the years legends have swirled around the Temp ...more
Mephistia
Awesome. Just. Awesome. I love a good history book, as people who know me at all know. Even more than that, I love a well-written, engaging, yet thoroughly researched and reliable history book. She had footnotes throughout the entire thing. The last two pages of every chapter were nothing but footnotes. I have a four-page list of to-read books gleaned from this book alone. I am in heaven.

Oh, and the book? Interesting, informative and well-written. I love how she presented the information in a we
Wayne
Dana Stabenow
Really useful collection, expertly vetted and written in contemporary prose of all the extent information on the Templars. The chapter on the Assassins is going to greatly inform the assassin character in Silk and Song.
Melisende d'Outremer
This is a very basic coverage of the Templars, their history, their fate, their mythology.

But just one tiny annoyance for me: Adela of Blois was the daughter of William the Conqueror. King Henry I of England was her brother!
As the title states, this is the real history behind the Templars. It is well researched and cites many primary sources. The chapters are nice and short too, so you won't get bogged down!
Morgan
not as good as real davinci code. too much detail about one topic.
Velvetink
Apr 26, 2015 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
tuebl
Terrie Kelly
Terrie Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Alin Oachis
Alin Oachis marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Roderigo
Roderigo marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Dan J
Dan J added it
Jun 29, 2015
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Ruth Ferrier
Ruth Ferrier marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Anitha
Anitha marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of the Crusades
  • Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • The Knight Who Saved England: William Marshal and the French Invasion, 1217
  • The Trial of the Templars
  • A History of London
  • After the Fact: The Art of Historical Detection
  • 1434 The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance
  • The Knights Templar
  • Alcatraz: A Definitive History of the Penitentiary Years
  • Our Tempestuous Day: History Of Regency England
  • Brigid of Kildare
  • Wicked River: The Mississippi When It Last Ran Wild
  • Big Chief Elizabeth: The Adventures and Fate of the First English Colonists in America
Sharan Newman is a medieval historian and author. She took her Master’s degree in Medieval Literature at Michigan State University and then did her doctoral work at the University of California at Santa Barbara in Medieval Studies, specializing in twelfth-century France. She is a member of the Medieval Academy and the Medieval Association of the Pacific.

Rather than teach, Newman chose to use her e
More about Sharan Newman...
Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1) The Devil's Door (Catherine LeVendeur, #2) Strong as Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4) The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3) The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)