Start by marking “America the Possible: Manifesto for a New Economy” as Want to Read:
America the Possible: Manifesto for a New Economy

America the Possible: Manifesto for a New Economy

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this third volume of his award-winning American Crisis series, James Gustave Speth makes his boldest and most ambitious contribution yet. He looks unsparingly at the sea of troubles in which the United States now finds itself, charts a course through the discouragement and despair commonly felt today, and envisions what he calls America the Possible, an attractive and p ...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Yale University Press

To ask other readers questions about America the Possible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America the Possible

GONZA
I liked to read this book where a different future seems possible but I've not enough information about the "real possibilities" for this change to come. Anyway it was a really intriguing reading even if I'm happy that U.S.A. are not my country.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND YALE UNIVERSITY PRESS FOR THE PREVIEW
Luke Lavin
Speth says everything you'd expect a true 70's era progressive to say in light of today's ascendant problems in America. Thus, his critiques fall into essentially three categories:

1. True/desirable, but politically difficult (e.g. campaign finance reform)
2. Unproven assumptions (e.g. building a huge progressive movement is the only way to counter the Tea Party et. al. and create real change. I.e., Speth believes inside and/or incremental change isn't possible on any meaningful scale).
3. Overwrou
Rhys
This is a nice synthesis of the issues and a clear exposition of the goals. Speth even tried to be optimistic ...

"The language we use and the messages we seek to convey are integral to political success. I can see clearly now that we environmentalists have been too wonkish and too focused on technical fixes. We have not developed the capacity to speak in a language that aims straight at the American heart, resonates with both core moral values and common aspirations, and projects a positive and
Nathan
A succinct and often excellent summary of the many environmental, economic, societal, and political challenges we face globally and as Americans, with corresponding suggestions for effective reform. A welcome emphasis on limits to growth and the severe impact of our growth-based political economy on natural systems. Seth calls for a powerful unified progressive movement of informed and engaged citizens to wrest political power away from corporate control and rebuild a true democracy.

Some quotes
Kristine

James Gustave Speth, one of America's treasures of wisdom who has given service to both the US and the United Nations, is former head of Yale's School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Founder and president of the World Resources Institute, current Professor of Law at the Vermont Law School, and author of AMERICA THE POSSIBLE. This compact non-fiction volume was published in fall 2012, and is the third book of his non-fiction American Crisis trilogy.

This is my first read in his series.
Joe Sherman
Speth has impressive credentials. He has worked in the belly of the beast -- serving in several administrations in Washington. His analysis of the sickness and dysfunction of the USA is on target. I do not share his optimism that the sickness brought on by the cancer of capitalism in this country is curable. It is too far advanced. But hope is always worthwhile, even for a dying patient. I recommend this book.
Anne Ipsen
This sequel to "Bridge at the Edge of the World" (publ. in 2008) by the same author disappointed. I expected new insight in view of the current financial crisis, but found the same hodgepodge of evidence that the world is going to pot. Speth continues to make a compelling argument that drastic overhaul of the US and international economies, geo-politics, and over-consumerism are overdue, but the long-range goals he presents are more discouraging than helpful in their overwhelmingly apparent impr ...more
Jake Berlin
a maddening and yet invigorating look at the problems facing america, and potential solutions to them. conservatives will likely hate this book, and although liberals might be familiar with many of the ills that speth describes, the latter are rarely laid out so coherently or organized. i expected the second half of the book -- the possible solutions -- to be a head-in-the-clouds dream, but it was surprisingly grounded. speth quotes liberally from experts throughout, which i think lends a good d ...more
Robert
A solid prescription for how to fix America that's possible. Chapter 1 will open your eyes. The final chapter will give you hope. In between is a policy wonk's heaven.
Janet Wise
“America the Possible: Manifesto for a New Economy” is an outstanding 2012 examination and manifesto for change for a future we want for our children and grandchildren.
Julie
Just finished another book by Gus Speth.... informative and inspirational!
Mark
Makes me want to go to Vermont and study with Speth.
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
J Nelson
J Nelson marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Zaid Jerab
Zaid Jerab marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Kent Robinson
Kent Robinson marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Emily Bogart
Emily Bogart marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Tron
Tron is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2014
Nathan Peavey
Nathan Peavey marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Beyond Growth: The Economics of Sustainable Development
  • The Wealth of Nature: Economics as if Survival Mattered
  • Enough Is Enough: Building a Sustainable Economy in a World of Finite Resources
  • Plenitude: The New Economics of True Wealth
  • Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change
  • The Post Carbon Reader: Managing the 21st Century's Sustainability Crises
  • Rethinking Money: How New Currencies Turn Scarcity into Prosperity
  • Prosperity without Growth: Economics for a Finite Planet
  • The Capitalism Papers: Fatal Flaws of an Obsolete System
  • State of the World 2013: Is Sustainability Still Possible?
  • All That We Share
  • Agenda for a New Economy: From Phantom Wealth to Real Wealth
  • Promised Land: Thirteen Books That Changed America
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action
  • The Crash Course: The Unsustainable Future of Our Economy, Energy, and Environment
  • The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring On the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide: How The Fool Beats Wall Street's Wise Men And How You Can Too
The Bridge at the Edge of the World: Capitalism, the Environment, and Crossing from Crisis to Sustainability Red Sky at Morning: America and the Crisis of the Global Environment Global Environmental Governance: Foundations of Contemporary Environmental Studies Worlds Apart: Globalization And The Environment Angels by the River: A Memoir