Start by marking “Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)” as Want to Read:
Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)

Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur #5)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  407 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The fifth in Sharan Newman's highly authentic and richly praised series, Cursed in the Blood finds Catherine LeVendeur venturing to the cold and tumultuous homeland of her husband--only to realize that vast differences between Edgar's family and her own. After making the pilgrimage to Compostela and giving birth to a son, Catherine LeVendeur is looking forward to an idylli ...more
Published July 15th 2000 by Forge (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Cursed in the Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cursed in the Blood

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldBlood Bound by Patricia BriggsCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Blood or Bone in The Title
50th out of 262 books — 16 voters
Eye of the Needle by Ken FollettTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Woman in White by Wilkie CollinsJackdaws by Ken FollettThe Cottoncrest Curse by Michael H. Rubin
Best Historical Thrillers
137th out of 173 books — 79 voters

More lists with this book...

May
Dec 08, 2015 May rated it really liked it
I am an avid fan of the Catherine LeVendeur mystery series and have been for years, but I only recently picked it up again with this 5th book of the series. The reason is that some years ago, I had peeked at the last few pages of this book (I know, but I can't help myself), saw the sad outcome, and decided I didn't need that type of ending in my reading.
That was several years ago and while I still am not happy about the ending, I am extremely glad that I picked the series up again. I had forgott
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Fifth book in the Catherine LeVendeur series of medieval history stories, the characters are good, the history accurate, and the plot intriguing. If you enjoy medieval history and strong female characters, give this series a try.
Diana Sandberg
Jun 21, 2009 Diana Sandberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes! Her best yet. Newman has such a sure hand at the period. I love the way everyone frequently thinks in terms of religious images and whether God or some saint is paying attention, etc. I've often felt this involvement with religion was missing from many books set in the period. Also the physical hardships are well portrayed. And the characters - several really good new ones here: Robert and Aetheraed and Margaret and Adalisa... Great stuff.
Samira
Feb 16, 2010 Samira rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I am continuing to enjoy this series and am getting better at reading 11th/12th century English and French. That said, I think I may take a bit of a break from them for now, to keep myself from getting tired of the characters. (I find that the problem with reading a series that already in print is that you can barrel through the whole thing, when in fact, it would be more enjoyable if you had to wait a bit.)
Jean
Nov 24, 2009 Jean rated it really liked it
I love this series, especially the characters of Catherine and Edgar, but this book was so dark and horrifying that at times I had to set it aside because I just couldn't read any more. We learn a lot about Edgar's family and understand why he was able to leave them to marry Catherine, so for that reason I was glad that I finished the book.
Kathy
Feb 09, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Again the same Sharan Newman series I enjoyed. This time, instead of France or Europe, the characters are in Scotland. Again, a whole different part of history I knew little about. Interesting to compare progress in the different countries in that time period - 12th Century.
Rosalind Hoenig
Mar 03, 2015 Rosalind Hoenig rated it did not like it
Don't bother. They don't get better.
Chriss
The writing was good, but the setting was grimer than I wanted. And I found I didn't really care much about any of the characters withing the first few chapters. So I stopped reading.
Julie
I enjoyed this book slightly less than the previous only because it has less time spent with the wonderful Hubert, Johanna, and Eliazar. Still wonderful.
Rachel Bhattacharyya
Sep 15, 2012 Rachel Bhattacharyya rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-mystery
This series gives such a wonderful perspective of the Medieval period. It brings it to life.
Dawn
This series just gets more and more dramatic, in my mind, not in a good way.
Gary Raines
I have enjoyed all of Sharan's books in this series.
Paula
Dec 14, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: z2012-reads
Good series. Enjoy the charaters but also a good mystery.
Mary Claire
Mary Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Feli
Feli rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Farseer
Farseer marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Ezara
Ezara rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Mary Anne
Mary Anne rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Bethan Wallace
Bethan Wallace marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
9989898 rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
Apr 24, 2016
V Granucci
V Granucci marked it as to-read
Lady Heinz
Lady Heinz rated it liked it
JonesPeep
JonesPeep marked it as to-read
Jennifer Convery
Jennifer Convery marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Sje
Sje rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
  • Chains of Folly (Magdalene la Batarde, #4)
  • The Boy's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #5)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • Out of the Dawn Light (Aelf Fen, #1)
Sharan Newman is a medieval historian and author. She took her Master’s degree in Medieval Literature at Michigan State University and then did her doctoral work at the University of California at Santa Barbara in Medieval Studies, specializing in twelfth-century France. She is a member of the Medieval Academy and the Medieval Association of the Pacific.

Rather than teach, Newman chose to use her e
More about Sharan Newman...

Catherine LeVendeur (10 books)
  • Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1)
  • The Devil's Door (Catherine LeVendeur, #2)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • Strong as Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4)
  • The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)
  • To Wear The White Cloak (Catherine LeVendeur, #7)
  • Heresy (Catherine LeVendeur, #8)
  • The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur, #9)
  • The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur, #10)