Start by marking “The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur, #10)

The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur #10)

Catherine LeVendeur is a creature of 12th century France whose life is a mirror of her times--but she is armed with a keen mind and lively curiosity.

When Catherine's grandfather sends for his family to tell them their well is going dry, Catherine is alarmed. The family's wealth depends on its status, and if the well goes dry, their castle will fall. Her grandfather seems w
Published December 1st 2004 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Witch in the Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch in the Well

Spuddie
Sep 26, 2007 Spuddie rated it liked it
#10 Catherine LeVendeur historical mystery set in 12th-century France. Catherine is at the home of her brother Guillaume and family when they are summoned to the home of their grandfather near Boisvert--the well is running dry, and there is apparently an old pagan folk story that everyone (but Catherine) in the family knows--all the family is in grave danger unless they can figure out why the well is going dry and stop it. Catherine, an ex-novice and very religious, heartily disbelieves in pagan ...more
Joan
Dec 20, 2015 Joan rated it really liked it
The last (so far?) book in the Catherine Levenduer series. It ties up a lot of the ongoing stories in the series, to a satisfying conclusion. There are some supernatural elements in this volume that I am not sure quite fit with the story, taking it a bit out of the historical context, involving family legends and origins. But it is interesting to learn more about Catherine's extended family and its history.

With no more Catherine books on the horizon, I will have to reread the series from the be
Sarah Wagner
Catherine LeVendeur finds herself enmeshed in mysterious occurrences again in this tenth novel in the series. This time, Catherine's noble relations appear to be suffering from a curse as a well dries up and a besieging army approaches. Despite the legends and stories, the practical Catherine attempts to cut through the tales in order to discover the truth behind the strange happenings. As always, Sharan Newman excels in creating a believable portrayal of the medieval world as well as weaving a ...more
Miriam
Feb 08, 2015 Miriam rated it it was amazing
The last installment of Catherine Levendeur's adventures in 12th century France is a real departure for Newman. The entire family travel to Catherine's grandfather's home in Blois to break a curse that is plaguing the family. There's a sense of the supernatural that pervades this very complex episode. Alas, it's the last in the series where many threads and themes are wrapped up. You need to read this series in order.

Once you finish this book, you'll want to read the series all over again.
Joyceling
Number 10 and the last in the series of 12th Century Catherine LeVendeur. They take place primarily in France, but also Spain, Germany, and Scotland and are sprinkled with hilarious oaths commemorating Saints known at the time. A primary theme is the relations between Christians and Jews. Fascinating.
Vicki Cline
Oct 17, 2009 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the final book in the series, this one brings the characters together at Catherine's grandfather's castle. Lingering conflicts between characters are resolved and there are mostly happy endings all around. I liked the "otherworldly" elements, although the ending seemed a bit rushed and some holes weren't filled in. All in all, this was a very enjoyable series.
Paula
Dec 26, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: z2013-reads
This was a pretty good addition to the series. I as much interested in Solomon and Margaret though as the mystery. I wonder if there will be more in this series? Also happy for side story of Samonie and Martin.
Lindsey
May 27, 2014 Lindsey rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed all of the Catherine LeVendeur mysteries so far-they are a good look into medieval France and an enjoyable mystery as well! I've only been able to find three so far in the library-I'm looking forward to finding the rest of the series.
Dawn
I really enjoyed this series. I thought it got a bit melodramatic in the later half and wasn't as good as the first half but throughout them all the author managed to conjure up the atmosphere of the times and the attitude of the medieval french.
Michele bookloverforever
This is the 1st book of this series that I have read. I found it interesting. The main character is a strong minded woman trying to fit into a society that does not always approve of a strong minded female. The mystery is spooky. I'll try more of this series.
Phil
Nov 09, 2016 Phil rated it really liked it
Not my usual sort of thing but a great writer that I had read before and mystery.... so what could be the harm? I'll have to go back and read more of these since this was book ten about this character. Nicely done and well researched as far as I can tell, not being a history major.
Sara
Oct 29, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it
Lorie Richards
I really god into this book fast and it held my attention all the way through. I'm going to look for others by this author.
KJ, Madame Librarian
The most meh in the series so far. Like Newman couldn't decide if she wanted to write a fantasy novel or not, so we got stuck with the wishy washy of both worlds.
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2012
Marla
Marla rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2008
Petra
Petra rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
Melinda Blough
Melinda Blough rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2009
Superyeti
Superyeti rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2008
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2009
Linda Mooser
Linda Mooser rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Mariessa
Mariessa rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2017
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
May 20, 2012
Colleen Bolthouse
Colleen Bolthouse rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Aleah
Aleah rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
May 27, 2010
Katherine Haney
Katherine Haney rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
  • Chains of Folly (Magdalene la Batarde, #4)
  • The Council of the Cursed (Sister Fidelma, #19)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1)
  • Crowner's Quest (Crowner John Mystery #3)
  • The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)
  • The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #13)
  • The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the Chapman, #2)
  • Cruel as the Grave (Justin de Quincy, #2)
Sharan Newman is a medieval historian and author. She took her Master’s degree in Medieval Literature at Michigan State University and then did her doctoral work at the University of California at Santa Barbara in Medieval Studies, specializing in twelfth-century France. She is a member of the Medieval Academy and the Medieval Association of the Pacific.

Rather than teach, Newman chose to use her e
More about Sharan Newman...

Catherine LeVendeur (10 books)
  • Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1)
  • The Devil's Door (Catherine LeVendeur, #2)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • Strong as Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4)
  • Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)
  • The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)
  • To Wear The White Cloak (Catherine LeVendeur, #7)
  • Heresy (Catherine LeVendeur, #8)
  • The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur, #9)