Start by marking “The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur, #10)

The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur #10)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Catherine LeVendeur is a creature of 12th century France whose life is a mirror of her times--but she is armed with a keen mind and lively curiosity.

When Catherine's grandfather sends for his family to tell them their well is going dry, Catherine is alarmed. The family's wealth depends on its status, and if the well goes dry, their castle will fall. Her grandfather seems w
Published December 1st 2004 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Witch in the Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch in the Well

Spuddie
#10 Catherine LeVendeur historical mystery set in 12th-century France. Catherine is at the home of her brother Guillaume and family when they are summoned to the home of their grandfather near Boisvert--the well is running dry, and there is apparently an old pagan folk story that everyone (but Catherine) in the family knows--all the family is in grave danger unless they can figure out why the well is going dry and stop it. Catherine, an ex-novice and very religious, heartily disbelieves in pagan ...more
Lindsey
I've enjoyed all of the Catherine LeVendeur mysteries so far-they are a good look into medieval France and an enjoyable mystery as well! I've only been able to find three so far in the library-I'm looking forward to finding the rest of the series.
Sarah Wagner
Catherine LeVendeur finds herself enmeshed in mysterious occurrences again in this tenth novel in the series. This time, Catherine's noble relations appear to be suffering from a curse as a well dries up and a besieging army approaches. Despite the legends and stories, the practical Catherine attempts to cut through the tales in order to discover the truth behind the strange happenings. As always, Sharan Newman excels in creating a believable portrayal of the medieval world as well as weaving a ...more
Vicki Cline
As the final book in the series, this one brings the characters together at Catherine's grandfather's castle. Lingering conflicts between characters are resolved and there are mostly happy endings all around. I liked the "otherworldly" elements, although the ending seemed a bit rushed and some holes weren't filled in. All in all, this was a very enjoyable series.
Joyceling
Number 10 and the last in the series of 12th Century Catherine LeVendeur. They take place primarily in France, but also Spain, Germany, and Scotland and are sprinkled with hilarious oaths commemorating Saints known at the time. A primary theme is the relations between Christians and Jews. Fascinating.
Michele bookloverforever
This is the 1st book of this series that I have read. I found it interesting. The main character is a strong minded woman trying to fit into a society that does not always approve of a strong minded female. The mystery is spooky. I'll try more of this series.
Dawn
I really enjoyed this series. I thought it got a bit melodramatic in the later half and wasn't as good as the first half but throughout them all the author managed to conjure up the atmosphere of the times and the attitude of the medieval french.
Sara
Jewell
This was a pretty good addition to the series. I as much interested in Solomon and Margaret though as the mystery. I wonder if there will be more in this series? Also happy for side story of Samonie and Martin.
KJ, Madame Librarian
The most meh in the series so far. Like Newman couldn't decide if she wanted to write a fantasy novel or not, so we got stuck with the wishy washy of both worlds.
Lorie Richards
I really god into this book fast and it held my attention all the way through. I'm going to look for others by this author.
T. C.
Nov 30, 2009 T. C. added it
Enjoyed the plot, but omitting some details would have improved the story.
Rebecca MacLean
Rebecca MacLean marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Miza Peters
Miza Peters marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • The Leper's Bell (Sister Fidelma, #14)
  • Bone of Contention (Magdalene La Batarde, #3)
  • To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4)
  • The Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse, #7)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
Sharan Newman is a medieval historian and author. She took her Master’s degree in Medieval Literature at Michigan State University and then did her doctoral work at the University of California at Santa Barbara in Medieval Studies, specializing in twelfth-century France. She is a member of the Medieval Academy and the Medieval Association of the Pacific.

Rather than teach, Newman chose to use her e
More about Sharan Newman...

Catherine LeVendeur (10 books)
  • Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1)
  • The Devil's Door (Catherine LeVendeur, #2)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • Strong As Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4)
  • Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)
  • The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)
  • To Wear The White Cloak (Catherine LeVendeur, #7)
  • Heresy (Catherine LeVendeur, #8)
  • The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur, #9)
Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1) The Devil's Door (Catherine LeVendeur, #2) Strong As Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4) The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3) The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)