Start by marking “The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur, #9)

The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur #9)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Dec. 2003 Forge(Tom Doherty) hardcover, Sharan Newman (Heresy: A Catherine LeVendeur Mystery).
Catherine Le Vendeur family is in danger as one of her cousins must face the dangers of being a Jew during the crusades
Published December 1st 2003 by Forge Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Outcast Dove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outcast Dove

Spuddie
#9 Catherine LeVendeur mystery set in medieval France. Actually in this book, Catherine doesn't figure much at all except for the fact that she is related to some of the players--Solomon, her cousin, is the main character in this one. He is traveling around as usual as a merchant, but it's more precarious than usual. Solomon is a Jew, and things are getting more tough and more restrictive for the Jews.

Catherine, a Christian, keeps secret the fact that Solomon is her cousin--officially he is her
Judy
Another great medieval mystery. This series is excellent as far as the story content and the historical details of 12th century France and Spain. The Muslims and Christians are fighting over control of many areas, including Spain. Christian monks and Jewish traders are thrown together heading towards southern Spain. The religious conflicts and misunderstandings are enormous at this time. A Jewish girl is captured by Muslims and sold to a Christian religious order for a brothel to service Muslim ...more
Dawn
This book didn't feature Catherine at all, switching its attention to Solomon instead.

With this series, I find that the books with the most soul searching are the least interesting and this book fell into that category. While I like the character of Solomon I don't think I needed an entire book about him.
Still, I like the book and I find the Jewish history fascinating.
Katherine Hyde
As historical fiction, this novel is quite interesting. It deals with relations between Christians and Jews in southern France and northern Spain in the twelfth century--not something you see every day. As a mystery, however, I found it disappointing. I don't feel the author gave the reader sufficient clues to have a chance at solving the crime. No one was really investigating it, either; the truth just happened to come out eventually.
Dona Krueger
Sharan Newman's medieval mystery was quite good. Unfortunately, I haven't read her first ones which would give continuity to the characters not only in this book, but referred to from past books. She is very enjoyable, but Ellis Peters still remains my favorite medieval mystery writer.
Frank
A nice addition to Newman's series involving Catherine Levandeur as this book doesn't have that protagonist at all, but is only made up of a few side characters from previous books in the series.
Jewell
Excellent. I really enjoyed Solomon's tale. He could probably have his own book series. Didn't really miss the chaos of Catherine's family. Also good to see Hubert again.
Vicki Cline
Susan Rothenberg
A great beach read, which is where I read it, that takes place in France and Spain in the 1100s. A good historical fiction.
Lorie Richards
Another good mystery taking place during the middle ages. If you like mysteries and history, you might like this one.
Julie
This series moves all around France and Europe, but the same cast of characters pops up each time. It drives me nuts.
KJ, Madame Librarian
I loved the Solomon POV. Catherine is great, but the series NEEDS MOAR SOLOMON.
Diane
Loved the story line about Solomon.
Sara
Jul 30, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read
macavity award winning author
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Heather Childs border
Heather Childs border marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Lizrenna
Lizrenna marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Chrisanne Penn
Chrisanne Penn marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • The Leper's Bell (Sister Fidelma, #14)
  • The Traitor's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #16)
Sharan Newman is a medieval historian and author. She took her Master’s degree in Medieval Literature at Michigan State University and then did her doctoral work at the University of California at Santa Barbara in Medieval Studies, specializing in twelfth-century France. She is a member of the Medieval Academy and the Medieval Association of the Pacific.

Rather than teach, Newman chose to use her e
More about Sharan Newman...
Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1) The Devil's Door (Catherine LeVendeur, #2) Strong As Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4) The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3) The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)