Start by marking “The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur, #9)

The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur #9)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  198 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Dec. 2003 Forge(Tom Doherty) hardcover, Sharan Newman (Heresy: A Catherine LeVendeur Mystery).
Catherine Le Vendeur family is in danger as one of her cousins must face the dangers of being a Jew during the crusades
Published December 1st 2003 by Forge Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Outcast Dove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outcast Dove

Spuddie
Jun 06, 2010 Spuddie rated it really liked it
#9 Catherine LeVendeur mystery set in medieval France. Actually in this book, Catherine doesn't figure much at all except for the fact that she is related to some of the players--Solomon, her cousin, is the main character in this one. He is traveling around as usual as a merchant, but it's more precarious than usual. Solomon is a Jew, and things are getting more tough and more restrictive for the Jews.

Catherine, a Christian, keeps secret the fact that Solomon is her cousin--officially he is her
Judy
Jan 10, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it
Another great medieval mystery. This series is excellent as far as the story content and the historical details of 12th century France and Spain. The Muslims and Christians are fighting over control of many areas, including Spain. Christian monks and Jewish traders are thrown together heading towards southern Spain. The religious conflicts and misunderstandings are enormous at this time. A Jewish girl is captured by Muslims and sold to a Christian religious order for a brothel to service Muslim ...more
Dawn
This book didn't feature Catherine at all, switching its attention to Solomon instead.

With this series, I find that the books with the most soul searching are the least interesting and this book fell into that category. While I like the character of Solomon I don't think I needed an entire book about him.
Still, I like the book and I find the Jewish history fascinating.
Miriam
Jan 18, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it
Solomon is off on an adventure that takes him first to Toulouse, where he visits with his uncle Hubert (Rav Chaim) and then to Al-Andalus to rescue knights and maidens from Christians who have conquered Saracen lands. On this adventure, he travels with Brother James, who is Solomon's father. You can imagine the stress. Jehan, the knight, is guarding the monks and the Jewish merchants on this journey. The trip is a little rocky as you can imagine, with a few murders, mistaken identities, and a li ...more
Joan
Dec 20, 2015 Joan rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, as I love the series as a whole, but I missed Catherine and Edgar, as this gook focused on her cousin Solomon. He is an interesting character, and the mystery is good- again I did not foresee the conclusion, but I did miss Catherine.
Riversue
Feb 21, 2016 Riversue rated it liked it
A good medieval mystery that kept the pages turning.
Katherine Hyde
Jun 27, 2013 Katherine Hyde rated it liked it
As historical fiction, this novel is quite interesting. It deals with relations between Christians and Jews in southern France and northern Spain in the twelfth century--not something you see every day. As a mystery, however, I found it disappointing. I don't feel the author gave the reader sufficient clues to have a chance at solving the crime. No one was really investigating it, either; the truth just happened to come out eventually.
Dona Krueger
Oct 14, 2009 Dona Krueger rated it liked it
Sharan Newman's medieval mystery was quite good. Unfortunately, I haven't read her first ones which would give continuity to the characters not only in this book, but referred to from past books. She is very enjoyable, but Ellis Peters still remains my favorite medieval mystery writer.
Frank
Aug 22, 2007 Frank rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A nice addition to Newman's series involving Catherine Levandeur as this book doesn't have that protagonist at all, but is only made up of a few side characters from previous books in the series.
Paula
Jul 24, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2013-reads
Excellent. I really enjoyed Solomon's tale. He could probably have his own book series. Didn't really miss the chaos of Catherine's family. Also good to see Hubert again.
Vicki Cline
Oct 17, 2009 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it
Susan Rothenberg
Dec 15, 2009 Susan Rothenberg rated it it was amazing
A great beach read, which is where I read it, that takes place in France and Spain in the 1100s. A good historical fiction.
Lorie Richards
Oct 02, 2012 Lorie Richards rated it it was amazing
Another good mystery taking place during the middle ages. If you like mysteries and history, you might like this one.
Julie
This series moves all around France and Europe, but the same cast of characters pops up each time. It drives me nuts.
KJ, Madame Librarian
Jul 23, 2014 KJ, Madame Librarian rated it really liked it
I loved the Solomon POV. Catherine is great, but the series NEEDS MOAR SOLOMON.
Diane
Nov 09, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing
Loved the story line about Solomon.
Sara
Jul 30, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read
macavity award winning author
Mary Claire
Mary Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Wendy Panchuk
Wendy Panchuk marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Farseer
Farseer marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Kathi Ruiz
Kathi Ruiz rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Maggie Cahill
Maggie Cahill rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Bethan Wallace
Bethan Wallace marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
Apr 24, 2016
V Granucci
V Granucci marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
JonesPeep
JonesPeep marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Rekesha
Rekesha marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Ian Klinck
Ian Klinck rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • The Council of the Cursed (Sister Fidelma, #19)
  • The Hunter's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #13)
  • A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2)
Sharan Newman is a medieval historian and author. She took her Master’s degree in Medieval Literature at Michigan State University and then did her doctoral work at the University of California at Santa Barbara in Medieval Studies, specializing in twelfth-century France. She is a member of the Medieval Academy and the Medieval Association of the Pacific.

Rather than teach, Newman chose to use her e
More about Sharan Newman...

Catherine LeVendeur (10 books)
  • Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1)
  • The Devil's Door (Catherine LeVendeur, #2)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • Strong as Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4)
  • Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)
  • The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)
  • To Wear The White Cloak (Catherine LeVendeur, #7)
  • Heresy (Catherine LeVendeur, #8)
  • The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur, #10)