Start by marking “In Love with Night: The American Romance with Robert Kennedy” as Want to Read:
In Love with Night: The American Romance with Robert Kennedy

In Love with Night: The American Romance with Robert Kennedy

Retracing the life and myth of Robert Kennedy, the author shows how he transformed himself from JFK's right-hand man into a crusader for the poor and down-trodden.
Published January 3rd 2000 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 2000)

To ask other readers questions about In Love with Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Love with Night

Fergie
Sep 03, 2012 Fergie rated it liked it
Reading Ronald Steel's book, one is left to wonder what his true feelings are toward his subject matter. At times, you sense that Steel genuinely admires Robert Kennedy. At other times, his comments verge almost on contempt. Perhaps, this leads us to a more human understanding of RFK than the more common God-like qualities we place upon his memory as well as his brother's.
My understanding of the Kennedy brothers has always been that Teddy was the only true liberal among them. JFK and, in many
Randy
May 06, 2008 Randy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: History buffs
Recommended to Randy by: Angel
I just started this, it was a gift from a friend who knew I just finished "Brothers" which I liked. I'm not a great Kennedy worshiper but admire the good they did and am curious about what drove them.

I think that like FDR, the Kennedy brothers were driven by the source of the family's wealth, they felt they needed to make up for the ill gotten sources of the family fortune and so were driven by forces most of us only read about. Not perfectly good men, but not all bad demons either. For those wh
Fawaz Ali
Aug 11, 2008 Fawaz Ali rated it it was amazing
Shelves: platinum-list
In this book, Ronald Steel has done what few historians were able to do, which is to delve deep into the inner soul of RFK. The beauty of the book lies in its author's ability to examine the phenomena of RFK and the reasons that made him the subject of fascination for historians. You might find the book being harsh on RFK and you may not agree with the author but believe me this book is a treasure.

This book will make you understand the parallels of RFK and Obama. Although the book is mainly abou
Paul Long
Feb 06, 2016 Paul Long rated it liked it
Interesting book that argues the premise that Robert Kennedy was just another politician, and people who long for him are merely the victims of spin and myth and legend. The author makes a good argument, relecting RFK's bio and the history of the times. But he sometimes goes over the top in his analysis, and oftentimes gets repetitive.
Scott
Dec 08, 2016 Scott rated it really liked it
RFK - a flawed and sometimes conflicted man who may have been POTUS. Author Steel doesn't simply repeat myths or whitewash history but takes a somewhat more even-handed approach in examining Kennedy's political career.
Kirk Bower
Jul 29, 2011 Kirk Bower rated it liked it
Tries to capture the "kennedy contradictions" So-So
Rahmat Romadon
Oct 12, 2008 Rahmat Romadon rated it it was ok
Kennedy have some affair with Monroe - thats kills him.
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2008
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2009
John Hagan
John Hagan rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2017
ستاره
ستاره rated it did not like it
Oct 23, 2008
K.C.
K.C. rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2008
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was ok
May 12, 2008
Bobbie M.
Bobbie M. rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2009
Tom Nap
Tom Nap rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
J a E F A I
J a E F A I rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2008
Alexandra Leh
Alexandra Leh rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Candice
Candice rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2012
RZA
RZA rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Chet Herbert
Chet Herbert rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2011
K
K rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Karleigh
Karleigh rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Marla
Marla rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2008
Behnam
Behnam rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2008
Christopher Carroll
Christopher Carroll rated it liked it
May 22, 2011
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Daniel Ziegelbauer
Daniel Ziegelbauer rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Laurie Hoppe
Apr 24, 2017 Laurie Hoppe rated it liked it
Shelves: bio-memoir
An examination of how/why Bobby Kennedy remains an icon of liberal politics, In Love with Night is less a biography than a 240-page editorial. It concentrates on Bobby's policies and behind-the-scenes maneuvers, and it's on solid ground when it explores the tougher and often ugly side to RFK's emphasis on action and victory. I appreciate how it compares and contrasts emotional, angry RFK and cool, ironic JFK. But for all the attention it pays to Bobby's relationships with his mother, his father, ...more
« previous 1 3 next »