Start by marking “The Sandman: The Dream Hunters” as Want to Read:
The Sandman: The Dream Hunters

The Sandman: The Dream Hunters

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  16,011 Ratings  ·  506 Reviews
Sandman fans should feel lucky that master fantasy writer Neil Gaiman discovered the mythical world of Japanese fables while researching his translation of Hayao Miyazaki's film Princess Mononoke. At the same time, while preparing for the Sandman 10th anniversary, he met Yoshitaka Amano, his artist for the 11th Sandman book. Amano is the famed designer of the Final Fantasy ...more
Published 2000 by Titan Books Ltd. (first published 1999)

Alejandro
A dreamy masterpiece!

This TPB is the original prose novella written by Neil Gaiman with illustrations of Yoshitaka Amano. Don’t get it confused with the comic book format version featuring artwork of P. Craig Russell.

DREAM TEAM

You would not seek to question a poem, or a falling leaf, or the mist on the mountaintop,… …Why, then, do you question me?

You may be aware of who is Neil Gaiman, the renowed British writer that got fame precisely with The Sandman comic book series, but also he has wr
Miriam
Nov 03, 2008 Miriam rated it really liked it
Oh hey, I know this story! Well, my version didn't have Cain and Abel and the Raven in it, but the monk and fox part was familiar. Not what I was expecting at all. Slightly disappointed to not get something new to me, but this was a very well-done version with lovely illustrations.
Ray
Jan 10, 2008 Ray rated it it was amazing
A beautiful novella fairy story done in faux Japanese fable form by Gaiman at the top of his form.

Recently, after the latest Sandman Overture was released, I went back and reread all of the classic Sandman series from the 90s. Completest that I try to be, I'm glad I read this which was the first time Gaiman went back to the Sandman.

Often, the best Sandman stories are the ones that feature Morpheus (also known as the King of All Night's Dreaming here) as a peripheral character. The more mytholog
Brooke
Jul 25, 2009 Brooke rated it really liked it
Gaiman + Amano is a pairing that's like a dream come true, pun intended. Gaiman blends his Sandman characters with a Japanese fable and Amano, the artist and character designer behind many Final Fantasy games illustrates. It's beautiful, and while some video game fans complain that Amano is a one-trick pony, I think that having more of his signature style can only be a good thing.
Vasilis Manias
Mar 18, 2017 Vasilis Manias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O 5ος τόμος του Sandman που ήδη διαβάζω, έχει μία μικρή ιδιαιτερότητα μιάς και το πρώτο του μέρος έχει μεταφραστεί σε ένα αυτοτελές βιβλίο στα Ελληνικά. Οι "Κυνηγοί των Ονείρων" μας μεταφέρουν την εκδοχή του Gaiman στο Γιαπωνέζικο παραμύθι "Η Αλεπού ο Μοναχός και ο Βασιλιάς των Ονείρων" με μία ΑΠΙΘΑΝΗ εικονογράφηση από τον Yoshitaka Amano. Μία αλεπού ερωτεύεται έναν ερημίτη μοναχό και αποφασίζει να θυσιάσει τη ζωή της για να τον γλιτώσει από τον μοχθηρό άρχοντα Ονμιότζι. Κυκλοφορεί από τις εκδόσ ...more
Linh
Feb 24, 2013 Linh rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-love
“Hãy theo ta,” con quạ nói, giọng nó nghe như hai viên sỏi cạ vào nhau.

“Ngươi sẽ dẫn ta đi gặp Mộng Đế chứ?” nhà sư hỏi.

“Ngươi đã không hỏi một bài thơ, một chiếc lá rơi, hay sương mù trên đỉnh núi,” con quạ đáp. “Vậy thì tại sao lại đi hỏi ta?”

Quyển đầu tiên mình đọc trong series The Sandman.

Mình đọc quyển này từ khi còn chưa biết 'The Sandman' là gì hay Neil Gaiman là ai. Lý do duy nhất mình đọc nó là do nó có... bản dịch tiếng Việt. Không rõ là do Neil Gaiman viết quá tốt hay do người dịch đ
Mimi
Enchanting, utterly romantic and Amano Yoshika's illustrations are hauntingly beautiful.
Absolutely adored this, and will probably re-read in the future.
Beth
Beautifully written and illustrated. The Sandman: The Dream Hunters was published for the 10th anniversary of the beginning of the series in 1999. It was written as a prose story because the artist Gaiman chose, Yoshitaka Amano, does not draw comics.

This is probably one of my favorite short stories in Sandman, a love story set in premodern Japan. The characters are a monk, a fox-spirit who falls in love with him, and an onmyoji (magician) who seeks to destroy the monk for his own purposes. The
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
This is not an adaptation of a single fairy tale as purported, though elements of the Japanese mythic tradition remain strong if not always exactly perfected. In particular, Gaiman captures the elusive spirit of the fox (or 'kitsune', which are as mysterious and versatile as they are pervasive in Japanese myth) exceedingly well, weaving about it a tale of fear against contentment and love against sacrifice morphed (forgive the pun) to fit seamlessly with the established Sandman canon.

Yoshitaka A
Kaethe
I particularly loved the Japanese-inspired art and mythology. So pretty. It would be easy to believe that somehow the Sandman mythos could be part of Japanese mythological history. It feels real.

Library copy
kaśyap
Mar 15, 2016 kaśyap rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, art
Yoshitaka Amano's art is beautiful.
Megan Cutler
Mar 26, 2017 Megan Cutler rated it it was amazing
Another beautiful and haunting Sandman story - probably my favorite of the ones I have read so far. The original subject matter was obviously well researched and the illustrations were absolutely gorgeous. (view spoiler) Truly, a fairy tale for adults.
Daniel
Nov 19, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
5.0 "Realidad o sueño..."

"No sé como fue
que llegaste a mí o yo a ti.
Ni si fue
realidad o un sueño,
despierto o dormido.

Estoy perdido en la oscuridad
de un abatido corazón,
sueño o realidad,
que se decida esta noche."

¡Basta ya! de darle largas, esta novela la leí hace ya 3 meses (¡cómo vuela el tiempo!) Por allá en septiembre muy cerca de mi cumpleaños, había iniciado a leer lo que para mi sería solo una lectura para matar el rato, una fabula japonesa que aparentaba ir sobre animales y sueñ
Sofia
Jun 10, 2010 Sofia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Posted on my book blog.

Background: I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman and his Sandman series. I came across the more recent, graphic novel retelling of this book first, and while it appealed to me, it was nothing compared to what I experienced when I looked at the original version. The cover is absolutely beautiful, golden and luminous without being kitschy.

Review: It all begins with a wager between a badger and a fox. In a Japanese mountainside, there was a little temple, hardly visited by anyone an
Jedi JC Daquis
Jul 02, 2013 Jedi JC Daquis rated it it was amazing
The Dream Hunters is an absolute beauty. This book is thoroughly satisfying and alluring. Gaiman's prose is exact but rich, and Amano's art is wow, just wow.

The book genuinely felt like an old, old Japanese tale seamlessly embedded in the world of the Dream King. There is one loud message here: that the world of Sandman is vast, boundless and universal. The Dream Hunters is a trademark Gaiman storytelling: simple, elegant and strangely familiar yet enthralling and engaging from the start to the
Randolph Carter
This is more of an illustrated story than a graphic novel. Amano's artwork and the Japanese aesthetic rein in Gaiman's excessive tendency to throw in the kitchen sink, in this telling, retelling actually, of the story of the fox and the monk. The story is wonderful and the artwork even more so. Amano really should have gotten top billing since Gaiman is basically just retelling a Japanese fairy tale with some Sandman flourishes.

Thoroughly enjoyable although not really part of the Sandman canon.
Mel
This isn't a graphic novel but a beautifully illustrated book. In fact the illustrations are the best part. Neil does his best attempt at a Japanese style version of a Sandman story. It didn't feel quite right to me. It had some of the elements of a Japanese fairy tale, but it felt a little clumsy round the edges and the transitions. But then I'm not that familiar with Japanese literature, just know my Buddhist literature and fox spirits from Chinese literature and religion so perhaps that was m ...more
David
A retelling of a Japanese fairy tale, with Gaiman's Sandman characters grafted onto certain roles. This is not a comic book but an illustrated novella. It's a decent story, though it isn't up to the caliber of his best Sandman stories. What distinguishes this book most is the lovely multi-page spreads of Yoshitaka Amano's artwork. Worth having if you are a Sandman or Amano fan.
Fabian
Aug 11, 2013 Fabian rated it really liked it
In one word: Beautiful.
This book brings together all the fantasy of The Sandman with the ancient magic of a japanese legend. If you read it long enough, you might even feel that you are reading some ancient scroll, with real ancient japanese drawings.
Shadowdenizen
Jan 28, 2016 Shadowdenizen rated it it was amazing
A dreamy (pardon the pun) interpretation of Asian mythology thru the lens of the Sadman.
The prose writing and the artwork interact beautifully, creating a breataking reading experience.
Highly recommended.
Dec 30, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
While Gaiman's contribution was charming (as always), Yoshitaka Amano's art was heart stoppingly exquisite. Words will not suffice.
Shruti Bhat
Dec 18, 2016 Shruti Bhat rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautiful books I have ever read.
Crazy Book Eater  (Jola)
Dec 21, 2016 Crazy Book Eater (Jola) rated it it was amazing
This is a masterpiece.
d.
Sep 20, 2013 d. rated it it was amazing
Jeraviz
Sep 19, 2015 Jeraviz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Fabula japonesa ambientada en el mundo de Sueño donde Gaiman vuelve a demostrar que es un maestro contando historias.
Jake Mandel
Mar 21, 2017 Jake Mandel rated it did not like it
Gaiman ejected a cliche trash fire of a novella adorned with beautiful art.
Stephanie LiVigni
Jul 04, 2017 Stephanie LiVigni rated it it was amazing
Reading the Sandman saga was as close to dreaming as I've ever gotten while awake. Every page was gorgeous, evocative, with a faint echo of familiarity. This particular installment is an epilogue to the series, but it could be read at any point or even on its own. It and the rest of the series have my highest recommendation.
Ross
Nov 27, 2012 Ross rated it it was amazing
Yes, it's a Sandman story by Neil Gaiman that is heavily illustrated, and it's NOT a comic book. By the same token, the adult situations depicted in Gaiman's novella mean it is not intended for the young adult market, either. It also represents the first full-length prose story that I've read in several months, though I've also been reading epic poetry.

The writing is excellent, as fans of "Sandman" and "Coraline" already know. And though there are descriptions that go beyond what I'm normally us
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Original review posted at Layers of Thought in a graphic novel trio review.

An awarding winning novella, that has a dark and lovely rendition of a number of combined ancient fables. It’s gorgeously illustrated and celebrates Japanese mythology.

About: A young Buddhist monk who is at peace with his life is in charge of a small temple set in some beautiful mountains in Japan. While attending to his his daily rituals and household maintenance he is emotionally accosted by two animals/spirits who want
D.M.
Mar 01, 2011 D.M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Dream Hunters is an enjoyable read, it does end up feeling a bit like what it was: a project cobbled together to capitalise on the 10th anniversary of Sandman's first issue, as well as to bring together two masters of their form in Amano and Gaiman.
The story goes (according to Gaiman's afterword), that Yoshitaka Amano did a picture for the Sandman anniversary and Gaiman liked it. When Gaiman was approached to write an anniversary story he thought maybe they should collaborate on a story he
Around the Year i...: The Dream Hunters, by Neil Gaiman 2 26 May 24, 2016 07:45AM
Endicott Mythic F...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Sandman: The Dream Hunters - who's reading? 10 19 Jul 16, 2012 05:52PM
  • Lucifer, Vol. 9: Crux
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 5: Girl in the Box
  • Promethea, Vol. 3
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves
  • Death: At Death's Door
  • Cages
  • Kabuki, Vol. 2: Dreams

“All that I did," she said, "everything I tried to do. All for nothing."

Nothing is done entirely for nothing, said the fox of dreams. Nothing is wasted. You are older, and you have made decisions, and you are not the fox you were yesterday. Take what you have learned, and move on.”
161 likes
“He told me not to seek revenge, but to seek the Buddha,' said the fox spirit, sadly.

'Wise counsel,' said the fox of dreams. 'Vegeance can be a road that has no ending. You would be wise to avoid it. And...?'

'I shall seek the Buddha,' said the fox, with a toss of her head. 'But first I shall seek revenge.”
30 likes