Start by marking “The Sound of Our Town” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Our Town

The Sound of Our Town

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From the G Clefs of the mid-1950s to the Dresden Dolls of today, from the down & dirty to the royalty of rock, here's what's been rockin' Boston for the past fifty years.
Published September 15th 2007 by Commonwealth Editions (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of Our Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of Our Town

Brian DiMattia
I can't give you an unbiased review of this book. It isn't five stars for the writing, although Milano does some solid research, reporting, and reminiscing, and he tries to give each generation their fair share of space. My favorite anecdote was the revelation that surf rock legend Dick Dale, a Quincy native, developed his signature style after a childhood of listening to his Lebanese father's records of Middle Eastern folk music. Now go listen to "Misirlou" again and it'll be a totally differen ...more
Tobey
His topic is too broad. Covering the Boston Rock scene over the last fifty years is so big that he can devote a max of three pages for the greats and less than a paragraph for the run of the mill band. It was a trip down memory lane reading the section on the 90's scene (that was when I spent most of my time in the Boston club scene). A lot of bands mentioned that I hadn't thought of for a while. Everyone has a favorite band that didn't make the cut.

If you were in/around the Boston scene in the
James
I lived and breathed the Boston music scene during the 1980's and continue to support when I visit Beantown. Brett is to be commended for his time and effort in putting this wonderful book together.
Ben
Aug 12, 2008 Ben rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: music fans
Brett Milano's History of of Boston Rock music is largely focused on punk, post punk, and early alt-rock. It starts Roxbury's soulful quartets of the 50s before covering the 60s, and early 70s arena rock bands but the book does seem to carry a bit of a bias towards the scene from roughly 1980-2000. Interestingly the beginning of this range coincides with the author's move to Boston.

It's a ook that makes me want to buy music, and that's great but it's not as inspiring as I'd hoped. It would have
Carl
where this book is great is in its middle chapters. here light is shed on some of the lesser known (nationally) groups such as willie alexander, the nervous eaters, and the neighborhoods. its the seedy side of a city always trying to cover up its seedy sides. the rest of the book, not so interesting. we all know the j geils story. the mission of burma story. the aerosmith story. but for those middle chapters, well worth checking out.
Ray Charbonneau
A quick overview of 50 years of Boston rockish music. On the one hand, I was there for a chunk of the time, so it was nice to revisit familiar territory. On the other, there wasn't much depth anywhere, so I didn't learn that much that was new. The writing was serviceable, but not as exciting as the music. Use the book as a record guide, and go find the music!
Diskojoe
Oct 16, 2007 Diskojoe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Emily
A great history of the Boston rock & roll scene from the doo-wop '50s through the Bosstown '60s, the Rat '70s-'80s to the present day. The author (who I actually met at the Brian Wilson Smile show in Boston several years ago) does a great job relating the story of bands such as Aerosmith, the Cars, the Remains & the Dresden Dolls, among others.
Marilyn Mccarthy
I enjoyed this because I was into the Boston music scene during the late 70s and I read about a lot of the bands I knew and used to go see all the time. It was a fun time.
David Streb
David Streb is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2015
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Steven Pofcher
Steven Pofcher marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Zeth
Zeth marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Mike Balsom
Mike Balsom marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Osha Towers
Osha Towers marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Ellen Shachter
Ellen Shachter marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2013
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Vinyl Junkies: Adventures in Record Collecting Tales from the House Band, Volume 1: A Plus One Music Anthology