Start by marking “Preparation for Death: Considerations on the Eternal Maxims” as Want to Read:
Preparation for Death: Considerations on the Eternal Maxims

Preparation for Death: Considerations on the Eternal Maxims

A popular abridgement of the much larger original that loses none of its punch. Shows that life is short and Hell is real. Discusses the certainty of death, the uncertainty of the time, the death of the sinner, of the negligent Christian and of the just and how different they are. Also the habit of sin, delusions of the Devil, Particular and General Judgments, the pains of ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by T A N Books & Publishers (first published 1758)

To ask other readers questions about Preparation for Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preparation for Death

Jacinta
Jun 07, 2011 Jacinta rated it it was amazing
Love St. Alphonsus... He puts everything so simple.
Thomas Walsh
Mar 08, 2013 Thomas Walsh rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Saint Alphonsus Liguori does a fantastic job of convincing us that time is short and the consequences of what we do in this life are eternal. He shows us the importance of the Catholic Church and the channels of grace we call sacraments. The holy priest places great emphasis on the sacrament of Confession and leads us through a very detailed examination of conscience. The book moves slowly at times, but the importance of the subject matter cannot be put off for another day and that urgency comes ...more
Jed Park
Jul 09, 2013 Jed Park rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm normally reserve five stars to great works of literature, and this isn't a great work of literature. I give this book 5 stars because I believe everyone should read it. His premise is we are only on this planet for a small blip of time and how we spend this small blip of time will determine how we spend eternity. Yet we live as if we will live forever. He plumbs the depths of life and of death.
Mariarosa
May 16, 2017 Mariarosa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious-books
This was absolutely beautiful and so full of wisdom. St. Alphonsus Liguori's writings are so deep and at the same time simple enough for all to understand. One must change his or her if after reading this work.
James
Aug 05, 2016 James rated it really liked it
One of my strongest points of criticism against our culture today is that we keep death as far from our minds as possible, even though we will admit that it could happen unexpectedly, and it will certainly happen eventually.

We rarely see the elderly on television, except for daytime TV, and a celebrity's career normally depends on his/her youthfulness. The death that we do see in media is cartoonish or fictionalized in movies, video games, and comic books.

Therefore, it's good to actual contempla
Dominic Guzman
Feb 24, 2016 Dominic Guzman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: four-last-things
Abridged version of St Alphonsus's original. If you find you're stale during periods of mental prayer, this will help focus your mind, particularly during Lent. Each meditation comes with 3 separate points and 3 separate sets of affections and colloquys.
Fadi
Fadi rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2017
Bill O'Keefe
Bill O'Keefe rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Ashin Kalladanthyil
Ashin Kalladanthyil rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Paul Bordea
Paul Bordea rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Mónica Palacios
Mónica Palacios rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
7jane
7jane rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
John M Grubmuller
John M Grubmuller rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Samuel
Samuel rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Vicky Tsang
Vicky Tsang rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2012
Dan Perez
Dan Perez rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Christa
Christa rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2008
WTD JR
WTD JR rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Steve Cunningham
Steve Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2012
bog dan
bog dan rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Kalley C
Kalley C rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2017
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
Nana
Nana rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2013
Larry Jackson
Larry Jackson rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
Lynn Forsyth
Lynn Forsyth rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
James Rougier
James Rougier rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Ro
Ro rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2011
Matthaeus Palardius
Matthaeus Palardius rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2014
Nick Shelton
Nick Shelton rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2017
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2007
Saint Alfonso Liguori was an Italian Catholic Bishop, spiritual writer, theologian, and founder of the Redemptorists, an influential religious order. He was canonized in 1839 by Pope Gregory XVI and declared a Doctor of the Church.
More about Alfonso Maria de Liguori...

“Then will the poor worldling exclaim: "Alas! my house, my gardens, that elegant furniture, those garments, will soon be no longer mine: the grave alone remaineth for me.” 0 likes