Start by marking “Murder by Magic” as Want to Read:
Murder by Magic

Murder by Magic (Libby Sarjeant #10)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The tenth book in the Libby Sarjeant series of British murder mysteries which feature a retired actress as the female sleuth and are based in the picturesque village of Steeple Martin.
Published September 1st 2012 by Cheever Publishing (first published May 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Murder by Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder by Magic

Ros
Early on in the book I thought: "At last! Here's an author who has made me want to read her other books! I *love* this! You mean - there are more? This is actually a series? Hooray!" and compared it to some Agatha Christies. After all, at least it is set in a small English village, with a non-police female sleuth who always gets it right (although in this one, the police seem rather more awake and alert, and generally nicer and affable).

Later on in the book, I revised my view slightly, and made
Frenchie
Rating: 2.7
It is not that the book is badly written, it is that it too long for nothing. I did not find any of the characters engaging, and I was annoyed as they always sound ''startled, surprised, uncomfortable'' etc. even when they do not need it. I usually love cosy mysteries but this one was more boring (for me) than cosy. Also, it is annoying the way the author keeps referring to other books within this book.
But, I think I would have appreciated better if I was familiar with all the charact
Jakenv
Another adventure from a crafty mystery writer. Cookman just keeps moving her characters from one murder to next with ease and a bit of fun along the way. Lots of drinking keeps characters well oiled in move to solution. Series may be read out of order as each mystery stands on its own.
Maureen Vincent-Northam
One of the best things about a book series is getting to know, and revisiting, familiar characters. The Libby Sarjeant whodunits are no exception. Murder by Magic is the tenth in the series and, although I can’t claim to have read them all yet, Libby et al are already like old friends and the fictional village of Steeple Martin is a place I’m getting to know well.

When someone is found dead in the church, Alice, Libby’s acquaintance, asks her to investigate. With more suspicious deaths and the lo
Donna
I am really enjoying this series. I especially like that characters introduced in previous books show up and become involved in the next book. This book dealt with the use of black magic to harass a female vicar and two murders. Again, the characters and their reactions make the story. Even though Libby finds herself in trouble, I find that it's not the eye rolling "oh for heavens sake, why would she do that" action on her part. While she typically ignores the command to stay out of it, when the ...more
NVTony
Another with a touch of black magic but nothing offensive. Great mystery can already anticipate another in series with characters and story only improving my delight with author.
Nancy

Libby Sarjeant and her friend Fran Wolfe are asked to look into the sudden and unexplained death of a devoted churchgoer. The police appear to have lost interest, but the villagers are certain that their new lady vicar has something to do with it! But if it is murder, how was it done?

Could it be - magic?

The murdere
Tammy Kenney
A lot of characters that I couldn't keep track of. The author kept referring back to previous solved mysteries/books. Possibly I would have liked it more if I had read these other books, but not as a stand alone. Too many theories and side stories to follow that were unnecessary. In the end the murderer was exactly who I suspected from the very beginning.
Nell
Very enjoyable cosy crime - there were a lot of characters which at times made it very confusing but I suspect this is what comes of reading out of order. I have a feeling this series could become very addictive.
Sheena
another fun book from Ms Cookman.
Mary Scott
A thoroughly good read.
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Johanna Pipkin
Johanna Pipkin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Marloes
Marloes marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Karen Poles
Karen Poles is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Death in the Family
  • Black Thursday
  • Aunty Lee's Deadly Specials (Singaporean Mystery #2)
  • The Blood of an Englishman (Agatha Raisin, #25)
  • Home of the Braised (A White House Chef Mystery, #7)
  • Murder with Ganache (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #4)
  • A Fatal Chapter (A Booktown Mystery, #9)
  • Without Trace
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Snowballs and Scotch Mist (The Belchester Chronicles - 3)
  • Surface Tension (Seychelle Sullivan, #1)
  • The River of No Return (Jaguar Stones, #3)
  • A Dubious Crime: A Colton Banyon Mystery #9
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • The Memory Man: A Short Story
  • The Pineville Heist
  • Murder in Merino (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #8)
  • Death of the Couch Potato's Wife

Libby Sarjeant (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Murder in Steeple Martin
  • Murder at the Laurels
  • Murder in Midwinter (Libby Sarjeant, #3)
  • Murder By The Sea (Libby Sarjeant Mysteries)
  • Murder In Bloom (Libby Sarjeant Mysteries 5)
  • Murder In The Green (Libby Serjeant Murder Mysteries)
  • Murder Imperfect
  • Murder to Music
  • Murder at the Manor
  • Murder in the Monastery
Murder in Steeple Martin Murder at the Laurels Murder in the Monastery Murder in Midwinter (Libby Sarjeant, #3) Murder In Bloom (Libby Sarjeant Mysteries 5)