Start by marking “Seven Years with Banksy” as Want to Read:
Seven Years with Banksy

Seven Years with Banksy

A personal and in-depth account of the enigmatic man behind the murals, written by a friend and fan"" An illuminating memoir of the world's most celebrated graffiti artist, this book offers insight into Banksy's life and work through the experiences that he and the author Robert Clarke shared together during Banksy's formative years. Clarke takes us through their first enc ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Michael O'Mara Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Years with Banksy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Years with Banksy

Andrew
Dec 19, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not all that well written, in need of an editor and crying out for better book design... there were times that it veered uncomfortably into the realms of hagiography (including relating mystical dreams about the artist), and other times when you wondered if there was even a story worth telling here, as it didn't elucidate Banksy the man to any great extent. Ultimately it's a book more about Robert Clarke than it is about Banksy. It is of course also difficult to ascertain the authenticity of som ...more
Gem
May 27, 2012 Gem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was nice to learn a bit about Banksy, but i did start to wonder the motivation of the writing the book, and did wonder how the artist himself felt about the book being written about thim, and there was nothing in there about his knowing of it.

apart from that, a nice easy read, interesting and loved the artwork secions :)
Aylinalpustun
From somebody who has personally known this ingenious artist for the past seven years, I would have expected a more detailed account on the philosophy of Banksy.

Instead it was more like a narrative of a bunch of party "boys" running loose on empty streets trying to find obscure destinations to paint.

I felt it just brushed off the surface.

We already know that Banksy has a very aloof character and that he prefers to go "incognito" and that he is a very "intelligent" artist, not much to add to thes
George Ilsley
A collection of somewhat vague anecdotes. This writer has not followed the advice "show, don't tell". This text is mostly telling. Such things as "ran into Robin. We talked of incredibly interesting things. He half-smiled." Seriously, repeat that many many times, format the thing with big type and huge headers (on the sides of pages) and you have a book with not much content that you can read in no time. The pictures, of course, are the most interesting part of this book.

A more accurate title wo
Nathan Bohn
Ground breaking? Not really. This is a book that gives insight on a chance meeting and goes to illustrate the casually deep relationship with the author and Banksy. It feels like an average guy writing things down which is easy to see in the writing. It rambles a bit and is more stream of conscience than edited plot. But it is honest and true.
Claudia Duarte
Jun 20, 2013 Claudia Duarte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very easy to read. People expect too much because of the title but the story is about two guys. One happens to be Banksy.
Its not about solving the identity mistery its about a friendship.
Don't expect too much just because his name pops out, just accept and think about it.
Emma
Apr 29, 2013 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, but the author annoyed me somewhat. Always banging on about how underground he is. It's definitely not what I expected. I was hoping for an insight into Banksy but all I got was a Bromance. Still I guess it must have been "good" if I read it till the end...
Elisabeth Bridges
Jul 01, 2015 Elisabeth Bridges rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved getting to see the "human" side of Banksy. The story of him buying a toy rabbit for his niece was a personal favorite! He is such an inspiring artist.
Artemis Eclectica
Slightly pretentious. If he considers himself a writer, he's not working hard enough. Some really poor writing in this book.
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Nathan Mays
Jun 08, 2013 Nathan Mays rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty terrible and the title of the book is very miss leading
Amy Pitman
Amy Pitman rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2016
Charles
easy read - some interesting adventures
Simone Harris
Simone Harris rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Rey
Rey rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Bayau
Bayau rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2012
Nicola
Nicola rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2015
Raul
Raul rated it it was ok
Oct 29, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Raymond Harbert
Raymond Harbert rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Jacqui O'mara
Jacqui O'mara rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2014
Clare
Clare rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2017
Beau
Beau rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Anton
Anton rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
Robz
Robz rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Meike
Meike rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Chris Dahlin
Chris Dahlin rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2013
Rich Taylor
Rich Taylor rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Dada & Surrealism (Phaidon Art and Ideas)
  • Banksy: The Man Behind the Wall
  • 100 Ideas that Changed Photography
  • Concrete, Bulletproof, Invisible + Fried: My Life as a Revolting Cock
  • Art in Theory 1900-1990: An Anthology of Changing Ideas
  • Trespass: A History Of Uncommissioned Urban Art
  • I Sold Andy Warhol (Too Soon)
  • 100 Ideas That Changed Fashion
  • Sign Painters
  • Art Since 1940: Strategies of Being
  • Synchronicity: The Bridge Between Matter and Mind
  • So This is Permanence: Joy Division Lyrics and Notebooks
Robert Clarke was brought up in Cotswold valleys. He came of age in Thatcher's Britain and has spent a third of his life travelling the world. He has held down dozens of jobs, from building to cycle messaging in Manhattan, NYC. He currently lives in Sweden with his wife and children and works as a writer. In summer he can be found sailing in the outer skerries of the Stockholm archipelago. His mot ...more
More about Robert Clarke...